I decided to build my own Pop Top camper

97heavyweight

The battery installation has been completed. I just need to wire in the fans and I am done with electrical for now. For the curious, the starter battery is wired into the bottom of the left fuse. I fused both sets of batteries from the isolator. The fuse panel is connected directly to the camper battery bank. What i've installed is way more power than I will ever need, but it was free so why not.

Attachments

• IMG_9697.jpg
    IMG_9697.jpg
    742.7 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_9698.jpg
    IMG_9698.jpg
    751.2 KB · Views: 115

97heavyweight

As I am sure most Tacoma drivers know that when you put any weight in the bed it droops. That's ok if you don't have a leveling kit or 500 extra pounds on the rear. My truck was sagging about 1.5". So for now since I don't have the money for a full lift I went with Icon 3 leaf progressive AAL and left in the overload spring and gained 2.25" of lift which puts the rear 1" higher than the front. I haven't been off-road yet with this setup, but I can already tell it is ten times better. Now I shouldn't hit my bump stop all the time. I still need to make a bracket to be able to bolt the emergency brake back to the leaf spring and I will be changing the rear shocks to Bilstein 5100s as soon as they get here.

Attachments

• IMG_9977.jpg
    IMG_9977.jpg
    1,009.5 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_9978.jpg
    IMG_9978.jpg
    704.4 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_9979.jpg
    IMG_9979.jpg
    727.1 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_9980.jpg
    IMG_9980.jpg
    745.1 KB · Views: 112

ITTOG

Tape...lots of tape. The only way would be to add a drip edge and that will be part of the 2nd roof iteration.
So the water comes off the roof and then find a way in between the seals?

I have not thought about a drop edge but thinking about a guest edge behind the seals, ie on the inside of camper. This way water can only get in if it can overcome the seals and gravity.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

97heavyweight

So the water comes off the roof and then find a way in between the seals?

I have not thought about a drop edge but thinking about a guest edge behind the seals, ie on the inside of camper. This way water can only get in if it can overcome the seals and gravity.

My water leak issue is from when I am driving down the interstate and the wind forces it into the canvas and supersaturates it. A drip edge would theoretically stop that. I do not get any leaking from just rain hitting the roof. I attached a pic of how my roof is more or less built. The only difference is the metal roof does stops at the edge and does not come down. I also used waterproof double-sided tape to hold everything together and there is a bead of silicone around the edge of the trim.

Attachments

• IMG_9994.jpg
    IMG_9994.jpg
    408.1 KB · Views: 210

ITTOG

Now I understand. I plan to keep my canvas completely inside. This this will expose my seals. So I am concerned that 80 mph wind might deflect the seals enough to cause leaks. So I am looking for different options to consider.

Thanks for the build details. I have enjoyed following along.

97heavyweight

I knew that the factory TRD 'bilstein' shocks weren't the best, but I did not realize how tiny they are. I replaced the rears with some Bilstein 5100s. The ride quality is so nice now!

Attachments

• IMG_9997.jpg
    IMG_9997.jpg
    960.5 KB · Views: 89

97heavyweight

Now I understand. I plan to keep my canvas completely inside. This this will expose my seals. So I am concerned that 80 mph wind might deflect the seals enough to cause leaks. So I am looking for different options to consider.

Thanks for the build details. I have enjoyed following along.

Thanks. I have enjoyed building it. With the second roof iteration I will be redoing the canvas and it will connect from inside as well. That way the roof will just shut on itself and not the canvas.

Andrew_S

Observer
Absolutely awesome build. Kudos for doing your own canvas pop-top, that's a daunting task imo.
Looking forward to more updates.

97heavyweight

Absolutely awesome build. Kudos for doing your own canvas pop-top, that's a daunting task imo.
Looking forward to more updates.
Thanks. I've been following your build as well and it is pretty awesome! I will be replacing my canvas with something thicker and with windows.

Last edited:

97heavyweight

Got the interior build started. For now I will be just putting in the couch on the driver side and front storage box. This winter I will insulate and build the counter. So I am trying to make use of materials on had and that lead to me using a piece that I had written some math on late one night because my brain was working. Which also lead down the road of again my brain not working and notching the panel on the wrong side so now I have chicken scratch on an interior panel. Whoops! I will be eventually putting something over it so i'm not too worried.

Attachments

• IMG_9998.jpg
    IMG_9998.jpg
    516.1 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_0102.jpg
    IMG_0102.jpg
    453 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_0103.jpg
    IMG_0103.jpg
    547.4 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_0104.jpg
    IMG_0104.jpg
    380.9 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_0105.jpg
    IMG_0105.jpg
    421.5 KB · Views: 116

97heavyweight

Also as a reminder to always face into the camper when exiting. Or else you do this...or just use your steps which I was clearly not doing.

Attachments

• 65013964119__233B493A-8A06-4262-A639-92B34388FF28.jpg
    65013964119__233B493A-8A06-4262-A639-92B34388FF28.jpg
    528.2 KB · Views: 81

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles