I decided to build my own Pop Top camper

97heavyweight

It is finally...I won't say done because there are still many things to do, but it is usable! I sewed up the final seam with a Speedy Stitcher. If you've never used one they are anything but speedy. It took my buddy and I 3 hours to sew 32". The trim was installed and the door glued and screwed. This project has been a long and fun one so far. I am just glad i can get some time and brain space back. For now.

Attachments

• IMG_9327.jpg
    IMG_9327.jpg
    683.7 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG_9328.jpg
    IMG_9328.jpg
    643.2 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_9330.jpg
    IMG_9330.jpg
    710.7 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_9331.jpg
    IMG_9331.jpg
    730.2 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_9332.jpg
    IMG_9332.jpg
    738.3 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_9333.jpg
    IMG_9333.jpg
    704.8 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_9334.jpg
    IMG_9334.jpg
    410.2 KB · Views: 311

97heavyweight

With all the work done to make this thing usable I headed out to the mountains to give her a good shake down and I mean that. This road is about as bumpy as they come for the full 35 miles I was on the trail. The camper worked out great though and i'm excited to get to use it.

Attachments

• IMG_9338.jpg
    IMG_9338.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 253
  • IMG_9341.jpg
    IMG_9341.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 299
  • IMG_9342.jpg
    IMG_9342.jpg
    382.7 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_9352.jpg
    IMG_9352.jpg
    452.6 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_9345.jpg
    IMG_9345.jpg
    782.1 KB · Views: 267

97heavyweight

While building this I had a lot of trepidations about whether this would work out or not. I was worried if it would leak (even though I basically went overkill on waterproofing) and I was especially afraid of what would happen once the final seem of the canvas was sew up. Well I am happy to report that these past two weekends that it has been done it has worked flawlessly!! I am very happy with the outcome. I haven't had a single fastener loosen yet (knock on wood) and i've been down some very rough roads. I will be starting the interior build out sooner than I thought. I am going to start with fans and solar and the other electrical bits then build my bench and counter.

Attachments

• IMG_9404.jpg
    IMG_9404.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 99
  • IMG_9426.jpg
    IMG_9426.jpg
    849.9 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_9428.jpg
    IMG_9428.jpg
    943.2 KB · Views: 90

97heavyweight

One issue I am having which kind of sucks is that my roof is completely flat and then it has a 1/8" trim piece around all edges. I didn't even think of this being an issue until someone mentioned it. So for now while my truck is parked i have put it up on some RV levelers. Not sure I can really do anything about it without completely rebuilding the roof. So for now this is what i'll do and i'll figure something out while camping.

Attachments

• IMG_9449.jpg
    IMG_9449.jpg
    788 KB · Views: 151

ITTOG

One issue I am having which kind of sucks is that my roof is completely flat and then it has a 1/8" trim piece around all edges. I didn't even think of this being an issue until someone mentioned it. So for now while my truck is parked i have put it up on some RV levelers. Not sure I can really do anything about it without completely rebuilding the roof. So for now this is what i'll do and i'll figure something out while camping.
Based on what I have read and seen for campers and cargo trailers not even all the "pros" have that one resolved.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

joshuag23

Such a great build!

I'm wondering if you could use a bigger bulb seal on one end of the frame so when the roof is lowered, it's closed but still with an angle.

Thanks for posting this :)

97heavyweight

Such a great build!

I'm wondering if you could use a bigger bulb seal on one end of the frame so when the roof is lowered, it's closed but still with an angle.

Thanks for posting this :)
That's not a bad idea. Right now i have 3/8" seal on top and 1/8" seal on bottom. I could change out the lower one to the 3/8".

joshuag23

The build I'm planning is similar to yours. It would be interesting to know how well the taped ACM panels help with condensation as a thermal break in the PNW. There are so many different versions of VHB tape. Which one did you end up using? Did you go to Laird for your ACM panels? They sent me dibond samples, but didn't follow up after that. Sorry for all the questions! I'm excited to start my build

I think FWC has a slightly bowed in the middle roof, but i'm not entirely sure.

97heavyweight

The build I'm planning is similar to yours. It would be interesting to know how well the taped ACM panels help with condensation as a thermal break in the PNW. There are so many different versions of VHB tape. Which one did you end up using? Did you go to Laird for your ACM panels? They sent me dibond samples, but didn't follow up after that. Sorry for all the questions! I'm excited to start my build
This is the tape i used. I used 1" to attach the panels and 2" for the corners.
As for the ACM panels i don't remember where i got them exactly. It was somewhere in Kent. The first night out there was a huge amount of condensation on the roof, but no where else. The next time i took it out i brought a fan and cracked the door and i had no condensation. All of the nights so far have gotten into the 40s.

joshuag23

Sounds like they are definitely helping then! I can't see the tape link you posted for some reason. Glad it's working out!

This is the tape i used. I used 1" to attach the panels and 2" for the corners.
As for the ACM panels i don't remember where i got them exactly. It was somewhere in Kent. The first night out there was a huge amount of condensation on the roof, but no where else. The next time i took it out i brought a fan and cracked the door and i had no condensation. All of the nights so far have gotten into the 40s.

97heavyweight

Sounds like they are definitely helping then! I can't see the tape link you posted for some reason. Glad it's working out!
It's LLPT double sided acrylic tape. Should be able to google that or go straight to amazon. I think i went through 250' of 1" and 100' of 2"

Also it was either Coast Aluminum or Cascadia Metals in Kent that i got my panels from. I had to call them to verify their website wasn't great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles