I can't deicide which tire!!

madmaths

Observer
Hi! like the title said I can't deicide witch tire to put on my 2015 rubicon! I order the 2.5'' teraflex budget boost and 1'' body lift now I need to chose my 35'' tire! I was looking at the Toyo mt , goodyear mtr Kevlar and KM2 I also have a good deal on fierce attitude ... MY first choice was the toyo but I read and found the mtr kevlar.... ( and the are 8ply I think its enough! its not a 3/4 or a ton truck! ) any one have any recommendation! ?? I have read so much on those tire I'm all confuse right now!! ( its my dd drive but I do about 12km pers day to go at worck...) thanks for you help! they will be install on a 16'' wheel 8'' wide and -15mm offset ( 3.97 back space )

Last edited:

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
What kind of driving will you be doing?
Rocks, mud, snow, etc.

I'd personally be looking at the new Toyo Open Country R/T or Cooper ST-Maxx.
I have the Maxx and it works well on almost everything.

Maxcustody

Explorer
I had the Goodyear MTR's in 35 and hated them. Never balanced right and ride was terrible. I have Hankook now and love them............good luck

madmaths

Observer
thanks for your reply! My driving will be a mix of every things ... but I want a tire that perform very well offroad but still good ( good for a off road tire...)
that's why a was looking ot the toyo mt ,mtr kevlar ,km2 ...

madmaths

Observer
maybe this is a silly question but I read km2 run small... ( 37 are about true 35,5 from what I read ) maybe I should order 37 Km2! ??
or a 345/75-16 ....

Last edited:

jpat30

Adventurer
I have personally found that indeed the KM2 measure out smaller than advertised. I ran a set for a number of years and they are excellent in anything other than rain. They can be a bit sketchy on wet pavement. Oh and they get bad marks for in the snow, but here in SE TX, I didn't really have to deal with that:) Good luck with your decision.

toxicity_27

Adventurer
I've been pretty happy with my Nitto Terra Grappler. Not loud on road, pretty decent in the snow, could be better in the mud, not too bad on rocks. Decent all around I would say.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I've had most of them.

The KM2s were bad on everything but mud and rock. Slid on pavement, wet or dry.
MTR/K were good on everything but mud ---- but needed to air down further than most tires due to the very stout sidewalls.
Cooper STT is good all around but not as good as ST-Maxx or Toyo AT-2 Xtreme in snow or wet pavement. Very good in mud. Same performance as Toyo MT but less expensive usually.
ST-Maxx and AT-2 Xtreme are very good on the road, rocks, and pretty good in mud/snow. Nothing beats a mud tire for mud and snow tire for snow...

I really like these two hybrid tires and expect the newer Toyo to be a top runner too.

I think your choice all boils down to where you want to compromise. If you're really going to see a lot of mud, get a mud tire and compromise street performance. If mud isn't in the picture so much, lean to the hybrid. In this case I'd look at something other than the Goodyear; they've always been too proud of their tires and I've never seen them at a good price.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
If your not in mud, the bfg at is the best choice. I have used every tire mentioned above besides the Toyo and the bfg is the first tire I would buy again and am buying again. I have run the st maxx and they are just too heavy and stiff for a jk. I'm guessing the people who have them and say they don't ride rough don't drive alot. They were the stiffest carcass of any tire I have used on any vehicle. The bfg provide a supple ride, great handling and tons of grip on anything besides souppy mud.

K2ZJ

Explorer
I have MT/Rs now and I am looking to switch. They are terrible in the snow and not that great in Moab on the rocks.

WininUtah

Adventurer
I'm on my second Jeep with the Hankook MTs and really like 'em. I'm in a desert environment and probably use them on different terrain than you, though.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
Guys is Dana 44 capable of spinning 35" tires??
I mean whether it is durable enough to take such a load?

toymaster

Explorer
Hi! like the title said I can't deicide witch tire to put on my 2015 rubicon! I order the 2.5'' teraflex budget boost and 1'' body lift now I need to chose my 35'' tire! I was looking at the Toyo mt , goodyear mtr Kevlar and KM2 I also have a good deal on fierce attitude ... MY first choice was the toyo but I read and found the mtr kevlar.... ( and the are 8ply I think its enough! its not a 3/4 or a ton truck! ) any one have any recommendation! ?? I have read so much on those tire I'm all confuse right now!! ( its my dd drive but I do about 12km pers day to go at worck...) thanks for you help! they will be install on a 16'' wheel 8'' wide and -15mm offset ( 3.97 back space )

Do NOT get the KM2. Especially since you live in Canada. Brand new these are bad on wet roads and snow once they are worn they are like ice skates. I've been running them since 2009 and will not let anyone but me drive my rubi in winter conditions. In addition, they have extremely soft sidewalls so much so that I do not dare air them down in rocky soil.

After much time spent on this very question I'm going with Cooper STT on my jeep the next time. If you want an all-terrain I suggest the Cooper S/T Maxx. My company truck has the S/T Maxx and they are awesome on snow and ice even at 50% tread. Soon I'll be buying a set for my F350.

madmaths

Observer
The shop where I buy my tires can only have toyo mt , km2 ,fierce attitude, and goodyear mtr ( in offroad tire...) and about the snow I have some brand new 33" studded general altimax so no probleme for winter... ;-)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier