I am thinking of of running air lift bags

ultraclyde

Observer
It has to do with volume and pressure. Air shocks run 35-75 PSI of air at a lower volume which allows the air to move through the line from side to side quicker. The air bags we use max out at 30 PSI and rely on volume to do the lifting rather than pressure therefore it cannot move as fast through the line. If you have ever seen air lift recovery bags used to right a tractor trailer they only run 7 PSI of air, but because it is spread out over a larger area they lift more weight than smaller, higher pressure bags could.

Okay, that makes sense. I appreciate the explanation.

rockkrawlin4x4

I currently use airbags when towing my offroad trailer to compensate for the sag due to the tongue weight (300lbs, no weight distribution hitch due to offroad hitch). While they work as intended, I've really come to the conclusion that I'll go with stiffer springs such as OME. For my application, I dont trust the longetivity of the bags offroading with the trailer (although they haven't failed on me).

dstock

Explorer
Yep. I put airbags inside my AEV 2.5 springs a few months ago. Couldn't be happier. Much better side to side rocking control.

Had to drop the axle to install, but only about an hour and a half total.

I'm thinking about building a custom valve body to hold the schraders for inflation, but they certainly work jut zp tied in place.

What airbags did you use? I have same AEV 2.5 lift. Thanks.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I used the Airlift 60818 kit. It is listed by application for Dodge Ram 1500 trucks. About $90 on Amazon. They balloon a bit at the bottom but seem to work well. on initial install you will think you got the wrong ones. Finish the job and it will be okay.
I haven't had any issues and I'm maybe 5 months or so in. I've had to add air 2 times due to slow leak down.

dstock

Explorer
I used the Airlift 60818 kit. It is listed by application for Dodge Ram 1500 trucks. About $90 on Amazon. They balloon a bit at the bottom but seem to work well. on initial install you will think you got the wrong ones. Finish the job and it will be okay.
I haven't had any issues and I'm maybe 5 months or so in. I've had to add air 2 times due to slow leak down.

Great, thanks for the info!

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
So I seem to be having problems with my airbags not holding air. Any thoughts on why this might be?

There's not a hole in the system, as they will hold air initially when I pump them up. I do 35lb pressure as per instructions.

But by the time I get to the campsite they are down to about 10 - 15 and they stay there.

Only thing I can think of is that maybe the fittings where the hoses connect are somehow letting some air get by under pressure.

In the meantime, I bit the bullet and installed a weight distributing hitch, hoping to cure the tail-dragging problems with my Suburban pulling our trailer.

Bullseye240

Adventurer
So I seem to be having problems with my airbags not holding air. Any thoughts on why this might be?

There's not a hole in the system, as they will hold air initially when I pump them up. I do 35lb pressure as per instructions.

But by the time I get to the campsite they are down to about 10 - 15 and they stay there.

Only thing I can think of is that maybe the fittings where the hoses connect are somehow letting some air get by under pressure.

In the meantime, I bit the bullet and installed a weight distributing hitch, hoping to cure the tail-dragging problems with my Suburban pulling our trailer.

A spray bottle with soap and water is your friend. Pump them up to the 35 psi you mentioned, spray them with the soap and water solution, lines, fittings and bags and you will find your leak or more likely leaks.

Tkhawk

Adventurer
Could be a loose fitting if it only happens while driving, do you have plenty of slack in your lines when articulating?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Could be a loose fitting if it only happens while driving, do you have plenty of slack in your lines when articulating?

Well, I thought I did.

In the meantime, for our next camping trip I'm just going to use the WD hitch without the bags to see if it does any better. Ideal combo would be air bags + WD hitch.

That WD hitch weighs a ton though! I'll bet the shank and WD receiver weigh at least 60 lbs.

68camaro

Any River...Any Place
I had air air bags on rear of Grand Cherokee, only inflated when toying very heavy BSA trip trailer, made all the diffrerence in the world. I am looking to put on small motorhome now to raise when needed off pavement.

Jim K in PA

Adventurer
I bet there is a slightly loose connection/fitting that is only leaking with flexing/movement. When you do your soapy water test, move the lines at each fitting.

GrnRubi

Are most of you using them on all 4 sides, just rear? This is an interesting idea, and might help a bit with the sagging while towing the off-road trailer.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I have a very expensive(and yes, heavy even more so with the class for 2.5" receiver) weight distributing/ anti sway hitch for towing my 10k pound travel trailer. I found the truck still needed a stiffer rear so I added sumo springs, easier and less headache than air bags. They don't make the ride harsh and I like them so far.

Ideally I'd have just gotten a 3500hd to start with but oh well.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Are most of you using them on all 4 sides, just rear? This is an interesting idea, and might help a bit with the sagging while towing the off-road trailer.
Since the air bags are to help with loads unless you carry loads in the in the front you probably only need them in the rear.

I've got rear bags in all three of my Jeeps; they're easy to install, they're inexpensive, they don't cause a harsh ride and they're adjustable depending on the load. I have almost 200,000 miles on them in total across the 3 Jeeps and I'm very happy with them.

thardin68

I like to over complicate things, LOL. I am needing to add bags to compensate for my new trailer tongue weight. I have onboard air and like the idea of being able to adjust on the fly. Anybody know of a system that has an option for this?

We are planning a 12K mile trip in the spring. We plan to set up basecamp (park the trailer) and wheel for a few days, then pack up and on to the next place. Having onboard control of the bags would be nice....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94