I am a hunter, yet I do not like to kill animals

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
If you were a deer would you rather be taken with a bullet or gutted by a wolf pack?

Deer don't care about that, so if I were a deer I wouldn't care either.

If I get killed and eaten by a bear, I'm not going to expect him (or her) to feel bad, apologize, say a prayer to the bear god or suffer any angst whatsoever.

Nor will I do any of those things if it should turn out that I get to kill and eat him instead.

I expect him to enjoy dining on my carcass, just as I would his.

Deer aren't pets. They are factories that turn grass into meat so creatures with sharp teeth don't have to eat grass.

So they've got a few neurons, so what? So do cockroaches and I don't hear anybody whining about cruelty to cockroaches.

perterra

Adventurer
I use hooks, high dollar down imaging, top of the line boat,etc,etc. I never want fair when a fight is involved. Then I think as I'm typing, I wouldn't use some sort of big gill net or drag line and scoop a bunch of fence. Every ones different.

Depends on how hungry I am I guess, these days barbless hooks, but in my fish fry for drunks days, trot line reigned supreme

Triplesnake

Adventurer
Deer don't care about that, so if I were a deer I wouldn't care either.

I'll disagree on this point. Deer do care. They know fear and feel pain. The one experience that really drove that fact home for me was one day when I watched an 8 point buck get his leg stuck in a fence as he ran from my truck. As I got out to free him, he started bawling and bleating like I've never heard a mature deer do before. He was terrified that I was going to kill him and eat him. Well, not that day. From that perspective, I would think that being killed swiftly and unexpectedly by a bullet from an unseen hunter would be far preferable to being chased down and eaten alive, and experiencing that terror.

I don't dislike taking the animal, but I do admire it for it's ability to survive at that place in the food chain, and I respect it. I do also enjoy dining on it's carcass and feeling my position as a top predator. It is that juxtaposition of feelings that is a part of hunting that makes me feel alive, and human.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
I'll disagree on this point. Deer do care. They know fear and feel pain.

So do rats. Does that make them noble?

But that's not what he asked. He asked if one were a deer, what would one's value judgement be about preferred ways to die.

My point was that deer don't make value judgements about such abstract concepts.

Are you disagreeing with that point?

From that perspective, I would think that being killed swiftly and unexpectedly by a bullet from an unseen hunter would be far preferable to being chased down and eaten alive, and experiencing that terror.

That's from your perspective, not the deer's.

Deer eat grass. That's instinctive. They don't make value judgements about whether or not they should eat grass. They don't have a perspective about whether or not to eat grass any more than they have a perspective on different possible ways to die.

So the original question, "if you were a deer..." had nothing to do with the deer. It was about human desires, not deer desires.

Also, "being chased down and eaten alive" is a dramatic image. But not accurate. The deer is not alive while being eaten by the wolf or the puma. They both go for the throat as soon as they bring it down.

But staying with that idea for a moment; during the chase and the kill the deer experience both fear and pain. Whether being chased down by wolves, or dying of a broken leg, fear and pain are a natural part of the process.

One could argue that by using a bullet and making it quick and painless, one is actually robbing the deer of the fear and pain that would normally and naturally be part of its death.

Last edited:

Triplesnake

Adventurer
But that's not what he asked. He asked if one were a deer, what would one's value judgement be about preferred ways to die.

My point was that deer don't make value judgements about such abstract concepts.

Are you disagreeing with that point?

How can you be so sure that deer don't make value judgements? Do you know how deer think? If we are going to have hypothetical discussions about "If you were a deer" we have to project some human style thought into it. That's all we can do since we know how we think, but don't really know how a deer does.

That's from your perspective, not the deer's.

Deer eat grass. That's instinctive. They don't make value judgements about whether or not they should eat grass. They don't have a perspective about whether or not to eat grass any more than they have a perspective on different possible ways to die.

So the original question, "if you were a deer..." had nothing to do with the deer. It was about human desires, not deer desires.

Yes, that was from my perspective, I stated that it was my thought, again projecting some human thought processes tempered with what I know about deer and the survival instinct of animals in general.

Deer don't eat much grass, they browse more then graze. Anyway, they certainly do make choices about which buds and forbs to eat when they have a choice in the matter. How much of that is strictly instinct, or how much of it is based on a thought process we will never know, but we can see that they are able to exhibit a preference in the matter. Knowing that they can show a preference in menu choices, and knowing that deer don't want to die, we can infer that they would show a preference to be in a situation where they did not know death was coming (by the hunter) vs being a situation where they do know that death is coming when being chased down by predators.

Also, "being chased down and eaten alive" is a dramatic image. But not accurate. The deer is not alive while being eaten by the wolf or the puma. They both go for the throat as soon as they bring it down.

But staying with that idea for a moment; during the chase and the kill the deer experience both fear and pain. Whether being chased down by wolves, or dying of a broken leg, fear and pain are a natural part of the process.

One could argue that by using a bullet and making it quick and painless, one is actually robbing the deer of the fear and pain that would normally and naturally be part of its death.

We don't have wolves or many puma down here in TX. I'm not sure that coyotes or hogs show the same level of "professional courtesy" of making the kill before beginning to feast. I see your point about the natural part of the death process, but at that point my interest is not in providing a normal and natural death. If it going to die by my hand, I prefer not to see it suffer, and it is assumed that a quick and unexpected death makes the meat taste better if limits the amount of adrenaline versus the animal running a long ways and dieing slowly.

Triplesnake

Adventurer
Oh, and to your comment about rats...I had rats for pets for a while and I've known several whose company I would prefer over some humans I've met :beer:

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
How can you be so sure that deer don't make value judgements? Do you know how deer think?

Well I've spent a great many hours watching them, as well as many other animals, as well as a great many hours trying to sort out the difference between genetically programmed behaviour vs. learned behaviour in humans, which requires comparison between humans and other animals.

So I believe I do have a pretty good idea of how they think. What thinking they do that is, which isn't much.

If we are going to have hypothetical discussions about "If you were a deer" we have to project some human style thought into it.

Which is a mistake, which was the point I made when the other guy tried to start the hypothetical discussion in the first place.

If one were a deer, one would have absolutely zero human style thoughts.

Q. If I were an apple, how would I feel about being an orange?
A. I wouldn't.

That's all we can do since we know how we think, but don't really know how a deer does.

I disagree on both points, a) that inserting human thoughts (anthropomorphism) is all we can do, and b) that we can't know how they think. Study and reasoning (and metadata), can tell us how a human thinks, it can do the same, or very close, regarding other species.

Deer don't eat much grass, they browse more then graze.

They do eat grass, but grass wasn't the point I was making, it was just an example to illustrate the point. I could have said, "flora" or "vegetation" or "typical biomass for an herbivore" and made the same point. Using the word "grass" was more than sufficient to get the point across.

Knowing that they can show a preference in menu choices, and knowing that deer don't want to die, we can infer that they would show a preference to be in a situation where they did not know death was coming (by the hunter) vs being a situation where they do know that death is coming when being chased down by predators.

I've bolded the faulty assumption, which renders the chain of reasoning built on that assumption, and the conclusion equally faulty.

Deer avoid dying if they can. So do viruses. That does not automatically mean they have any "wants" or "don't wants" in terms of reasoned desires.

No inference is possible regarding their "preferred method of dying". They don't have a preference because they can't comprehend the choice in the first place.

We don't have wolves or many puma down here in TX. I'm not sure that coyotes or hogs show the same level of "professional courtesy" of making the kill before beginning to feast. I see your point about the natural part of the death process, but at that point my interest is not in providing a normal and natural death.

I said it could be argued. I never said it was a particularly strong argument. :)

If it going to die by my hand, I prefer not to see it suffer,

So it's about what's best for the hunter, not the deer.

Which is perfectly acceptable - but I'd rather not pretend otherwise.

(And for the record, I also prefer not to see it suffer. But that's to make me feel better, not the game.)

and it is assumed that a quick and unexpected death makes the meat taste better if limits the amount of adrenaline versus the animal running a long ways and dieing slowly.

That's what they say.

Dunno myself. The only comparison I've personally been able to make is rabbits sitting still shot with a .22 pistol or rifle, vs. rabbits shot on the run with a shotgun.

I've eaten a bunch of both. Can't say I've ever noticed any difference.

Does it also apply to fighting game fish? Should they be taken with nets so they'll taste better? Or does the slow asphyxiation make it all taste the same either way?

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Oh, and to your comment about rats...I had rats for pets for a while and I've known several whose company I would prefer over some humans I've met :beer:

I too had rats as pets when I was a boy. I was sad whenever one died.

Then I dug a hole in the backyard under the bushes and buried it. Didn't have a funeral, but I doubt the dead rat cared much about a funeral, and I know I didn't.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I hunt elk to feed my family and have been quite successful, but have never really understood hunting for sport. Do I admire them and feel like they have some sense of being alive, of course I do, but I also know that they were put here to be hunted and eaten. One of my greatest experiences was to watch a group of cows and calves playing on a hillside in their natural habitat before the hunting season began, it was cool to observe their social behavior and see the calves chasing each other almost like human children might. Did this change the way I feel about eating them, no, but it did add to my appreciation for them. Elk meat is some of the healthiest protein you can put into your body, and I will continue to do so until I can no longer get myself out of bed to go chase them.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I'll disagree on this point. Deer do care. They know fear and feel pain. The one experience that really drove that fact home for me was one day when I watched an 8 point buck get his leg stuck in a fence as he ran from my truck. As I got out to free him, he started bawling and bleating like I've never heard a mature deer do before. He was terrified that I was going to kill him and eat him. Well, not that day. From that perspective, I would think that being killed swiftly and unexpectedly by a bullet from an unseen hunter would be far preferable to being chased down and eaten alive, and experiencing that terror.

I don't dislike taking the animal, but I do admire it for it's ability to survive at that place in the food chain, and I respect it. I do also enjoy dining on it's carcass and feeling my position as a top predator. It is that juxtaposition of feelings that is a part of hunting that makes me feel alive, and human.

Agreed, I felt bad when I hit a muley doe 3 years ago when I was driving back from an elk hunt in our Chevy diesel, felt bad because it wouldn't be able to reproduce or even become a food source because it died right on the side of the road from the impact.

zimm

Expedition Leader
Agreed, I felt bad when I hit a muley doe 3 years ago when I was driving back from an elk hunt in our Chevy diesel, felt bad because it wouldn't be able to reproduce or even become a food source because it died right on the side of the road from the impact.

everything is a food source for something. you mourn way to easy. be happy it died quickly so you didn't have to bash it with a tire iron, and move on.

A friend of mines brother, whom we call "caveman", would have picked that up. call caveman next time. its like mutual of omahas wild kingdom, except it isn't a hyena digging into the road kill, its Jimmy.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
everything is a food source for something. you mourn way to easy. be happy it died quickly so you didn't have to bash it with a tire iron, and move on.

A friend of mines brother, whom we call "caveman", would have picked that up. call caveman next time. its like mutual of omahas wild kingdom, except it isn't a hyena digging into the road kill, its Jimmy.

We can legally collect road kill here as well, but when you hit a deer with a 3/4 ton truck and it has matter coming out of both ends the chance of the meat still being edible is slim. Not to mention I was by myself and had been in the woods all day, didn't have the energy or desire to mess with it.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Mule deer are not nearly as tasty as a whitetail, most of them survive off of eating sage and some grasses.

That off taste in mulies is typically poor meat handling practices in the field (letting it get too hot, hair on the meat, etc) and not removing the fat from the meat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne