I am a hunter, yet I do not like to kill animals

FshTaco99

Adventurer
I'm also 21. I hunt... to live not for fun. I lease 13 waterfowl blinds on my property and 22 tree stands on a 250 acre farm. I do it because it pays the bills and fills my fridge. God knows how many women I've lost because all I eat is what I kill. Anything from waterfowl, to a 700 lbs. cow. I trap... beaver and muskrat. And also am a competition trap shooter. Men and women I share I blind with do this as a hobby and often times do not keep the meat... More for me. But, either way, it's a way of life for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

LilKJ

Adventurer
This is a very interesting thread. I think I share some of the original poster's sentiment as I grew up in a big hunting family. Growing up in rural Alaska I have personally downed several moose, caribou, bison, wolves, bear, sheep, etc.

I reached a point some time ago where I began to wonder why I was doing this and exactly what I was after. (the annual Moose being the exception... it was my red meat for the year) I came to realize that it was the hunt itself that was enjoyable, the stalking, the tracking, the sighting, all of it. THe fun ended when I pulled the trigger and it just became work from there. So I put down my rifle, picked up a camera, and never looked back.

I'm not bashing hunting in any way here... I love it and grew up with it. Once I moved out of Alaska it was no longer "necessary". (plus it's great to see the looks on hunter-friends' faces when they see the pics of ridiculous bucks and elk that I get)

Hunting seems to me to be a personal thing. I gun hunted until 1978. That year a legal buck came running off a ridge and I raised my .44 Ruger carbine and shot it from about 40 yds. away. It fell dead within a few feet of where I shot it. I waited for the heart racing excitement I had always felt from prior hunts,both when I had won and also when the quarry had won. NOTHING!! No shortness of breath,no adrenalin rush. I realized for myself that the hunt for me was the pitting my skills against the inborn instincts of the wild animal to survive. I saw none of this since the buck was running through an area I was scouting for next year's archery season. I spotted the buck coming, reached over and got the gun leaning against a tree and BAM!! That changed me. I swore I would only hunt an animal in a way that the old excitement level was present or I would quit hunting. I continued to archery hunt exclusively from that time on and I have yet to lose the drive,enthusiasm of hunting game. Every animal I pursue is with a bow. In 1989 I became disenchanted with the way the archery business was going. Compound bows with overdraws,widgets,gadgets,hardware, crap-and this pricey setup was obsolete after 2 yrs. so a person had to practically give away his gear and start over to keep up with the rat race. So that year I went back to shooting a recurve bow, bought a 100 PO cedar shafts and made my own arrows. NOW the excitement is getting the critters within my ethical shot range-under 18 yds. so I'm still in the game 100 percent. I look so forward to seeing Fall happen in the mountains of CO while archery elk hunting. Then I return home and chase whitetails/turkeys with my bow,even through the firearms season. The bottom line is I love being in the woods and Fall and Spring are my favorite seasons. So it is a natural feeling to me to have the warm handle of a bow in my hand while slipping through the woods. Maybe I never got over my childhood days of playing Indian and cowboys or Robin Hood. But it has been the one thing in my life that has been a constant. Golf and other activities just doesn't fill the gap like bowhunting for me. Thank goodness everyone doesn't feel that way--the woods seem too crowded at times anyway!!
LBLSpring2007016.jpg

snipecatcher

Adventurer
hey

Love the pictures. I too have started hunting with a Bear recurve and I'm loving it. It requires that I get very close to the animal, which is what I love anyways. It's all about the hunt, not the kill. I know when I finally do take a deer or pig with my bow, it will be worth it. Its much for "fair" this way.
-Dan

Clamp413

Anybody else feel the same? I know most people go through this later in their life, when they get old and have been hunting for a lifetime, but I'm 21! I've killed many types of animals, and many of them, and I'm good at what I do. Lately, I have been finding it hard to pull the trigger. This past deer season, I hadn't had any venison in over year, as we lost our deer lease and just now got a new one. The first weekend of the season, a doe stepped out at 30 yards and I couldn't bring myself to shoot. I finally told myself, just this once, I want some deer meat so bad! I'm pretty sure I closed my eyes when I shot. It was a clean kill and I ate a big chunk of meat that night that I roasted over the campfire on a stick. I don't have much of a problem shooting birds, but who knows, maybe I will sometime soon. I've got lots of respect for the animals I hunt, and do not kill anything that I cannot eat. I know most of you are probably the same way. Anybody else gone through something similar in your life?
-Dan

You're human. Some people hunt humans with no remorse. Aka. Craigslist. Just be yourself.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Love the pictures. I too have started hunting with a Bear recurve and I'm loving it. It requires that I get very close to the animal, which is what I love anyways. It's all about the hunt, not the kill. I know when I finally do take a deer or pig with my bow, it will be worth it. Its much for "fair" this way.
-Dan

Fair???, fight em with your bare hands if you think you are fair.

perterra

Adventurer
Fair???, fight em with your bare hands if you think you are fair.

You use hooks when you fish, or bare hands?

I have friends who look at it as a life is a life, no qualifiers like fuzzy and cute. Everything just trying to stay alive as best it can. No judgement here, we all trying to get thru as best we can.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Holy necroposting Batman! Replying to posts from 2008 rocks.

Personally, I've been an outdoorsman for 50 years - started at age 6 in Cub Scouts in Denver - but I've never considered myself a "sportsman".

I hunted and fished quite a bit when I was younger, but only to acquire the skills and become competent; neither one was something I really enjoyed all that much aside from being outdoors.

I don't have any problems with the killing - pretty much every species on this planet survives by digesting other species (recycling molecules). Im one of them. If I get hungry enough, I'll chase Bambi down and beat her to death with a club. Or set a trap to break the little sweety's leg. And to this day I still use my .22 target pistol to shoot cute little bunnies and squirrels if I'm in the mood (and yes, I eat them). Snakes too if they refuse to leave me alone (and if they're big enough, I eat them too). And I do like me some birds, quail especially.

The part about hunting and fishing that really spoils it for me, is the butchering. It's not that I have a weak stomach or anything like that, I don't. No, the problem is, it can feel too much like work.

I don't mind camp chores or dragging a dead log to camp and chopping wood or things like that. Taking small game, birds, or a fish or two, butchering it and making a meal is fine.

But taking larger game turns into something too much like work after you've made the kill. Cutting a deer up into managable chunks and hauling it back home so it can be properly processed and stored (which isn't something I would normally do in camp), and then processing and storing it, is work.

Pretty much the same deal with taking a daily limit of small game or fish.

Oh, if I lived in some remote place, I'd certainly do it to keep the freezer filled.

But I don't, and I do my best to be a lazy bastard as much as possible. So I stick to small game and birds and the occasional fish and only take enough for a meal or two.

And no, I don't give thanks to The Great Spirit or Gaia or the spirit of the animal or any other such foolishness.

I'm a predator.* I don't feel bad about it and I don't apologize for it. But like most predators I'm also lazy, so I don't work at it any harder than I have to.

*(And before some wiseguy gets what he thinks is a witty idea - no, not sexual predator. Being a big tough bastard has usually resulted in women chasing me, rather than me having to chase them.)

perterra

Adventurer
Holy necroposting Batman! Replying to posts from 2008 rocks.

Personally, I've been an outdoorsman for 50 years - started at age 6 in Cub Scouts in Denver - but I've never considered myself a "sportsman".

I hunted and fished quite a bit when I was younger, but only to acquire the skills and become competent; neither one was something I really enjoyed all that much aside from being outdoors.

I don't have any problems with the killing - pretty much every species on this planet survives by digesting other species (recycling molecules). Im one of them. If I get hungry enough, I'll chase Bambi down and beat her to death with a club. Or set a trap to break the little sweety's leg. And to this day I still use my .22 target pistol to shoot cute little bunnies and squirrels if I'm in the mood (and yes, I eat them). Snakes too if they refuse to leave me alone (and if they're big enough, I eat them too). And I do like me some birds, quail especially.

The part about hunting and fishing that really spoils it for me, is the butchering. It's not that I have a weak stomach or anything like that, I don't. No, the problem is, it can feel too much like work.

I don't mind camp chores or dragging a dead log to camp and chopping wood or things like that. Taking small game, birds, or a fish or two, butchering it and making a meal is fine.

But taking larger game turns into something too much like work after you've made the kill. Cutting a deer up into managable chunks and hauling it back home so it can be properly processed and stored (which isn't something I would normally do in camp), and then processing and storing it, is work.

Pretty much the same deal with taking a daily limit of small game or fish.

Oh, if I lived in some remote place, I'd certainly do it to keep the freezer filled.

But I don't, and I do my best to be a lazy bastard as much as possible. So I stick to small game and birds and the occasional fish and only take enough for a meal or two.

And no, I don't give thanks to The Great Spirit or Gaia or the spirit of the animal or any other such foolishness.

I'm a predator.* I don't feel bad about it and I don't apologize for it. But like most predators I'm also lazy, so I don't work at it any harder than I have to.

*(And before some wiseguy gets what he thinks is a witty idea - no, not sexual predator. Being a big tough bastard has usually resulted in women chasing me, rather than me having to chase them.)

Mmmmm, jalapeno stuffed dove breast on the grill wrapped in bacon.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
You use hooks when you fish, or bare hands?

I have friends who look at it as a life is a life, no qualifiers like fuzzy and cute. Everything just trying to stay alive as best it can. No judgement here, we all trying to get thru as best we can.

I use hooks, high dollar down imaging, top of the line boat,etc,etc. I never want fair when a fight is involved. Then I think as I'm typing, I wouldn't use some sort of big gill net or drag line and scoop a bunch of fence. Every ones different.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior