Hydronic Heat, Hot water, and Engine Pre-heating

Joe917

Explorer
Looking at the calorifier options available, once your tank capacity is used, with the heating coil running, will the system act in an on-demand manner?

I see a 2.5 gallon tank available, and 2.5 gals won't go far in a shower. Ive placed emails to the manufaturer, but have not received a response.
2.5 gallons might not seem like much but used carefully that could be 5 or 6 showers!

WanderingBison

Looking at the calorifier options available, once your tank capacity is used, with the heating coil running, will the system act in an on-demand manner?

I see a 2.5 gallon tank available, and 2.5 gals won't go far in a shower. Ive placed emails to the manufaturer, but have not received a response.

I have a 4.5 gallon calorifer and it’s a lot of hot water. Consider that you will be mixing cold water with the stored hot water, either through your tap or better yet, through a mixing valve exiting the calorifer so 2/4 gallons of extremely hot water will produce much more useable hot water than the tank capacity itself will lead you to believe.

If your heating source (engine heat/hydronic heater) heats the coolant loop to say 190°, you will definitely add 30-40% cold water before using it. Of course, as your tank cools down, you will add less cold water and your tank will not yield as much hot water.

I’m not sure about 2.5 gallon but I was worried about my 4.5 and I’ve never run out of hot water.

Does that make sense?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

goneagain

Observer
I have a 4.5 gallon calorifer and it’s a lot of hot water. Consider that you will be mixing cold water with the stored hot water, either through your tap or better yet, through a mixing valve exiting the calorifer so 2/4 gallons of extremely hot water will produce much more useable hot water than the tank capacity itself will lead you to believe.

If your heating source (engine heat/hydronic heater) heats the coolant loop to say 190°, you will definitely add 30-40% cold water before using it. Of course, as your tank cools down, you will add less cold water and your tank will not yield as much hot water.

I’m not sure about 2.5 gallon but I was worried about my 4.5 and I’ve never run out of hot water.

Does that make sense?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

that makes perfect sense, thank you for the reply.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles