Hunting Knife Options

FreeRangeFJ

Observer
That is a nice knife and would make a wonderful gift, however, that one is designed with more of a tactical/defense purpose in mind. I would recommend looking at something with a bit more belly to the blade for skinning, a blade of 3-4 inches max with a handle that is easily manipulated in a variety of grip styles that are used during the processing of game animals.

collk22

Observer
I've got a Bear and Sons skinning knife that I like - The 753 seen here. I haven't had it long so no comments on long term durability.

http://www.bearandsoncutlery.com/in...ew=Products&refno=158&srctype=Products_detail

Also, check out Havalon knives - they use surgical scalpel blades that are replaceable. Sharp as hell, hold an edge, and easy to replace when they go do start to go dull. A knife and box of blades will run you about half of what that browning knife will cost. Havalon knifes aren't the nicest looking blades, but they went for function over form.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Millerfish, as you can see, if you ask for opinions such as this you'll be inundated with suggestions, which might or might not help you! FreeRangeFJ is right about the knife you mentioned - not a hunting knife. You could go with a model made for skinning, although such a blade with a lot of belly, such as the nice one digitaldelay suggested, is more difficult to sharpen. I would suggest a more general-purpose blade that would still suffice nicely for field-dressing and be useful for other things as well. Scanny suggested the fine Norwegian Helle brand and I'd second that. Their Temagami for example is laminated steel, so the edge holds up extremely well, and the birch handle is very comfortable and secure.

mezmochill

Is outside
Millerfish, as you can see, if you ask for opinions such as this you'll be inundated with suggestions, which might or might not help you! FreeRangeFJ is right about the knife you mentioned - not a hunting knife. You could go with a model made for skinning, although such a blade with a lot of belly, such as the nice one digitaldelay suggested, is more difficult to sharpen. I would suggest a more general-purpose blade that would still suffice nicely for field-dressing and be useful for other things as well. Scanny suggested the fine Norwegian Helle brand and I'd second that. Their Temagami for example is laminated steel, so the edge holds up extremely well, and the birch handle is very comfortable and secure.

3rd on the Helle

AzTacoma

Adventurer
Don't laugh: A Classic. I've had this knife for 25 years and it's been through deer, elk, javelina, and countless rabbit, squirrel, birds and fish... and everything is tight as can be. These are incredibly durable, pack small, sharp, hold an edge reasonably well, and are easy to sharpen in the field. Nothing fancy, just a strong knife for the money. I plan on giving this old and well used knife to my 6 year old boy eventually.

EMrider

Explorer
Don't laugh: A Classic. I've had this knife for 25 years and it's been through deer, elk, javelina, and countless rabbit, squirrel, birds and fish... and everything is tight as can be. These are incredibly durable, pack small, sharp, hold an edge reasonably well, and are easy to sharpen in the field. Nothing fancy, just a strong knife for the money. I plan on giving this old and well used knife to my 6 year old boy eventually.

The Buck 110 is a classic for good reason and I own several. Probably a bit lowbrow for real knife experts, but IMHO a great value that will easily last for decades with some care.

R

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles