Hummingbirds

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
The next time you hold a quarter, feel how much it weighs, and then realize that it weighs double what the hummingbird in these pictures weighs. I am pretty sure this is a calliope hummingbird sitting on her nest, females are tough to ID, especially sitting on her nest with the important characters hidden.

If you make an “ok” sign with your thumb and finger, that is how large this nest is. The inside of her nest is like a small thimble. Her nest is made of animal hair and spider webs woven together with moss and ornately decorated with lichen.

She will fly to somewhere in central or southern Mexico this fall and be back here next spring, usually to the same patch of habitat. A thousand miles or more one-way and she weighs about 3 grams, half the size of a quarter, and she’ll make this trip twice per year, for up to ten years or more, however long she may live.

Nature is cool… :costumed-smiley-007

If you have any hummingbird pictures, post ‘em up!

IMG_836.jpg

IMG_838.jpg

obscurotron

Adventurer
Maybe it's the undying kid in me, but whenever I see a hummingbird, I get all excited and point it out to anyone within earshot. They're such neat animals - nature never ceases to amaze me.

Along the same lines, I get that way about ladybugs. More so when I'm hiking along a river to go fishing and I find a whole swarm of them - I'll just stop and watch for a while. Just the other day I discovered a ladybug that hitched a ride in my truck coming back from a hunting trip. My little girl was with me, just getting her out of the carseat, so I got the critter on my finger, told her the nursery rhyme and had her blow on it gently. On cue, the thing flew off to find a new home. :)

haven

Expedition Leader
"She will fly to somewhere in central or southern Mexico...A thousand miles or more one-way"

Also amazing is the Ruby-Throated Hummingbird, the species of h-bird most common east of the Mississippi. Ruby-Throats have a similar migration to southern Mexico and Central America. But many of them fly directly across the Gulf of Mexico to get there. That's a distance of about 500 miles with no chance to refuel, or to stop and rest. Talk about power to weight ratio!

There are 8 species of hummingbirds that are commonly found in USA, including Alaska. And there are 8 additional Mexican h-birds that are known to nest in border areas of Arizona, New Mexico and Texas. The area between Patagonia and Sierra Vista AZ is home to most of these visitors from south of the border.

It's easy to become captivated by hummingbirds. When you succumb to this particular form of birdwatching dementia, then you have to go to Ecuador. This mountainous country, smaller than the state of Colorado, is home to more than 130 species of hummingbirds. It's common for a hummingbird feeder to be attended by 20 or more h-bird species, and they put on an amazing show!

User_Name

Adventurer
I love hummingbirds, the last several years the Annas have been overwintering here in WA state, a couple years ago we had 16 inches of snow on the ground and I was out feeding the squirrels when I heard that infamous Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz go zipping by.

I looked up and spotted a hummer which meant I had to dig the feeders out of storage in the garage because I thought they had all left, spent the next several weeks swapping frozen feeders for thawed ones I had in the house.

This is one waiting for me sitting on the deck, it was 23 F that day.
They seem to just go into a state of hibernation because I was able to walk right up to it and it's eyes would slowly blink but it didn't move.

IMG_0026319.jpg

DrMoab

Explorer
I had one get stuck in my garage the other day. I was actually able to catch it and let it go outside. You are right about the weight. It seriously felt like I was holding nothing in my hand yet its little heart was going a mile of minute and you could really feel it too.

refried

Adventurer
I get a couple in my house every year and my last house had skylights on the porch they couldn't stay away from, I've gotten pretty good at catching them.
hummingbirds007-1.jpg

hummingbirds065-2.jpg

hummingbirds044.jpg

I have better pics, I'll have to find them

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
Awesome posts and photos! I love the cold hummingbird all puffed up, great pic.

As a bird bander, I get to a see a lot of birds up close. The number of recaptures I see always astounds me. How a hummingbird, with a little tiny brain, can travel 2000 miles in one year and make it back to the same field, and get caught sometimes in the exact same net baffles me. Some of my friends cannot even drive around Santa Fe without their NAV turned on in their Lexus or else they'll get lost.

If you're in southern Arizona, you have a lot of diversity in these birds like Chip mentioned. This link details a lot of the hot spots.

A couple more pics.

Makeshift hummingbird feeder on a camping trip in southern NM
IMG_0180.JPG

Nice male Costa's
_MG_2473.JPG

jatorresrv

Observer
The Hummingbird

My intention is not to steal this thread. I read this thread because I intend on writing a book titled "The Hummingbird" (currently finishing a different book). "The Hummingbird" will be nonfiction about my travel companion, Oscar, who died two years ago this Dec. We purposely bought our van for him when he could no longer hike with us because of age. The van was like a huge climate controlled kennel on wheels. His last few days his mobility was minimal and he opted to stayed in the shade in the back yard. I work at night and sleep during the day. So for the last ten day when I came home in the mornings he was in the yard in the shade. After a shower and breakfast I would go outside to sleep next him on the cool flagstone. One morning I woke up because of a noise just above our heads, it was a Hummingbird. The Hummingbird hovered about a foot above the two of us long enough for Oscar to wake up also. Oscar lifted his head to look at the Hummingbird and laid his head back down. The Hummingbird then flew away. Oscar died that afternoon. (I still cry, like now, because I miss my co-pilot) Three days after his death I picked up Oscar's ashes from the vet. When I got home I sat in the backyard with Oscar's ashes, just like now, crying. After about 20minutes of sitting with his ashes a Hummingbird hovered about two feet above me to my front and looking right at me. After a long moment, the Hummingbird flew away. Ironically, we got Oscar from Australia where there are no Hummingbirds. Last year we took his ashes back to his breeder in Australia. A week after getting back from Australia, a Hummingbird was in the backyard again. Every time I see a Hummingbird it reminds me of Oscar. Thanks for posting these pictures. It was nice to see Oscar again.

I apologize for if this post if anyone thinks it was inappropriate for the thread.

DarinM

Explorer
This guy ran into the window of our rental in Allenspark, CO - just outside Estes Park. I held him for a few minutes until his little brain got itself rebooted.

P8120020.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles