Hummelator Off-road teardrop build

Hummelator

Adventurer
Felt on the walls to hide the wires... and avoid water condensing?...
That was the original plan... but we'll see how things work out. Personally I like to look of neatly run wires. Probably just the tradesman in me. But the idea of felt on the walls to avoid condensation is still a good idea. The only thing it that the bed platform was cut fairly tight so I wouldn't have a huge gap between the edge of the platform and the wall. So if I can find a felt that's thin enough that the platform won't catch I will go that route but that won't be until next year.

Spanna 53

Hummelator looking good don't need much more than a good bed and a fridge , we used to camp in the back of our old ute with a fibreglass canopy an many mornings woke up being dripped on un till we stuck 1/4 or 3/16 thick felt to the roof , would have taken the canopy off to do it except as usual it was done in a hurry the night before we were going away in the middle of an Australian winter good luck next hunting season. Spanna

ottsville

Observer
You don't avoid condensation on the walls by using felt or fabric, you just give it a place to hide and a way to wick down and not drip down.

Hummelator

Adventurer
Not much of an update progress wise.
Bought some vinyl click together plank flooring- similar in design to laminate but made from pvc and is waterproof ( or so they claim)
I managed to find some on clearance for a decent price.

I was kind of going back and forth on where I wanted flooring. Initially I was only going to do the entrance up to the wood supports for the platform. Then decided I was going to do the entire floor. I only bought two boxes and based on the square footage, I don't think I will have enough to do the entire floor.
Which leaves me where I'm at now. I am going to lay the flooring up to where the slide out kitchen will eventually go.

IMG_3916.JPG

I have also ordered a custom medium density foam for the bed as well as a double wide sleeping bag.
I have been looking for a double wide sleeping bag for years and stumbled across one on amazon. I read a bunch of reviews, the worst of which only complained about the the sleeping bag being impossible to get back into the carrying bag. So I thought it over for a few days then pulled the trigger.

Also curtains will be in order.
I have some curtains sitting in my closet so I am going to alter them to fit the windows in the camper. I will be using some neodymium magnets to hang the curtains on the wall.

I'm thinking a roof vent fan might be a good idea this year. I closed the camper windows because I thought it might rain and opened then the following day.
There was a very strong chemical/plastic smell built up inside. I'm guessing the silicons ive been using are still offgassing. It would be nice to have a form of ventilation that is protected from the rain.
I'm thinking a maxxair maxxfan. Just need to find a good price.. oh and work some overtime

Didn't end up using the camper this past weekend. Earlier in the week the forecast called for rain so I decided to make the funeral a day trip... and as the week progressed the forecast got nicer and nicer. Go figure.

*Hopefully* Friday or Saturday I can get it out for one night at least.

Jmanscotch

is wandering
Looking good man, it's turning out a very well built setup!

One word of advice; find a way to let the camper vent without having to open the roof vent (if you install it). Carbon Monoxide poisoning is a real concern in campers built so airtight like yours. I've seen very unfortunate threads on some camper forums about people who built their own, did a damn good job sealing everything for weatherproofing, then they seemingly closed the windows/vents because it was raining and went to bed...only to never wake up. Not a story I want to read here on EP.

I know it's counterproductive to building a warm, insulated camper for those cold Canadian nights...but it's a compromise worth making. If nothing else, install a quality detector in there and that way if you do the roof vent, have a brain fart one night and close it, you'll have a reminder before it's too late.

Jake

Hummelator

Adventurer
Looking good man, it's turning out a very well built setup!

One word of advice; find a way to let the camper vent without having to open the roof vent (if you install it). Carbon Monoxide poisoning is a real concern in campers built so airtight like yours. I've seen very unfortunate threads on some camper forums about people who built their own, did a damn good job sealing everything for weatherproofing, then they seemingly closed the windows/vents because it was raining and went to bed...only to never wake up. Not a story I want to read here on EP.

I know it's counterproductive to building a warm, insulated camper for those cold Canadian nights...but it's a compromise worth making. If nothing else, install a quality detector in there and that way if you do the roof vent, have a brain fart one night and close it, you'll have a reminder before it's too late.

Jake

I'm glad you brought that up. I was always planning to keep an open air source but Carbon monoxide didn't even cross my mind. The thought with the maxxfan was that it has a rain cover and thus I could leave it open 24/7. But I think I will pick up a battery powered detector next pay check. I'd rather be safe than never have the chance to be sorry

EDIT:
Actually now that I think about it I think you are referring to carbon dioxide?
Both can be fatal given the correct concentrations, but carbon dioxide is what we breath out and carbon monoxide is what is produced by burning fuels.
At the moment I don't have any thing in the camper that burns and will produce CO
Not sure anyone makes a dioxide detector? Will have to do some more research

Last edited:

Jmanscotch

is wandering
I'm glad you brought that up. I was always planning to keep an open air source but Carbon monoxide didn't even cross my mind. The thought with the maxxfan was that it has a rain cover and thus I could leave it open 24/7. But I think I will pick up a battery powered detector next pay check. I'd rather be safe than never have the chance to be sorry

EDIT:
Actually now that I think about it I think you are referring to carbon dioxide?
Both can be fatal given the correct concentrations, but carbon dioxide is what we breath out and carbon monoxide is what is produced by burning fuels.
At the moment I don't have any thing in the camper that burns and will produce CO
Not sure anyone makes a dioxide detector? Will have to do some more research

You're right, I was thinking CO2 (or rather oxygen deficiency from breathing the usable air up). Unless you're running some sorta heat in the camper, but I didn't see where you mentioned that so probably not. They make detectors, for low oxygen, but they are meant for working in confined spaces and would be pretty pricey and cumbersome to try to apply them in this situation.

I guess the best thing is really to make sure the setup can vent 24/7 like you say and there's no chance of you forgetting to open it, should it ever be closed.

I went with a basic vent, no fan, but put a rain cover over it and I considered just removing the 14" vent cover so there was no way to close it off. Ultimately I don't like that idea, I wanna be able to close it some, so I'm just building a stop into the lid where it can close nearly all the way, but will always have a 1/2" gap open.

Jake

Hummelator

Adventurer
Decided to put an aluminum angle at the edge of the bed platform to keep the foam mattress from sliding.
IMG_3933.JPG
Also riveted an angle to the floor to separate where the slide out will go. Just butted the flooring up to the angle.
IMG_3932.JPG
IMG_3934.JPG
IMG_3935.JPG
IMG_3941.JPG
I have to say I quite like this flooring. Nice tight joint and easy to install. For what I paid I wasn't expecting to like it that much. The flooring gives the camper a much more homey feel too.

Picked up my foam mattress today, and my double sleeping bag arrived earlier this week. I will see how they fit tomorrow.

I'm thinking I will order the maxxfan next pay check also.

Not going to get out camping this weekend though. And next weekend is going to be pouring rain so I will just have to wait.

Buffalobwana

Observer
You mentioned your brakes not working well? That you barely notice it?

Brakes work better with more weight pushing down on the tires. I don’t know your system. Im assuming you can engage your trailer brakes without engaging your vehicle brakes? If you have a heavy tow vehicle a light trailer will barely effect the vehicle at all.

I drive an F-250 and when I test my brakes on a light empty trailer, it is hardly noticeable because it’s a 1500 lb trailer trying to stop a big truck. Make that a 14,000 lb trailer and test it and it makes a huge difference.

If you can feel it at all, they are working properly.

Hummelator

Adventurer
You mentioned your brakes not working well? That you barely notice it?

Brakes work better with more weight pushing down on the tires. I don’t know your system. Im assuming you can engage your trailer brakes without engaging your vehicle brakes? If you have a heavy tow vehicle a light trailer will barely effect the vehicle at all.

I drive an F-250 and when I test my brakes on a light empty trailer, it is hardly noticeable because it’s a 1500 lb trailer trying to stop a big truck. Make that a 14,000 lb trailer and test it and it makes a huge difference.

If you can feel it at all, they are working properly.

I was using a ram 2500 with a built in brake controller. With the trailers at work I usually adjust the brake sensitivity until the tires lock up then back it off one. Dependant on what I'm pulling that's somewhere around 3.
With my little camper I went all the way up to 10 and the tires don't lock.
I tired adjusting the drums so my next thought it that I messed up somewhere along the way on the wiring?

Reguardless, the main tow vehicle is an 07 tundra so I'm not hugely concerned with the brakes not working right now.

Hummelator

Adventurer
I did it.

I got out camping for the weekend.
It was actually a great weekend for a shakedown. Terrible weekend for camping though. POURED rain Friday and Saturday. Packing up on Sunday it was sunny and blue skys. Of course.
IMG_3974.JPG
IMG_3975.JPG

The roads were terrible after you left the pavement. Tons of holes and washboard.
The trailer was bouncing so much I was worried a window might break. I decided to pull over and air down the tires on the trailer. Turns out when the tires were mount on the rims, the tire shop filled them to about 55 PSI. I aired them down to 30 and what a difference!
With the rain and humidity The next two items on my list are going to be a roof vent fan and an awning of some sort.
I'm looking at the maxxair maxxfan 6200 and some sort of batwing/fox wing awning.
Or I may build my own awning.
I had the windows open the entire trip but between me and the pooch the walls were dripping by Sunday morning. based on that I don't think I will put any kind of fabric on the walls. Don't want any issue with mold or the like.
IMG_3977.JPG

It was pretty awesome to be able to sleep in the trailer while it was pouring rain and not have to worry about leakage. Didn't get a drop of water leak through.

I've decided to calm down with the spending for the trailer for now. I've got a few trips planed for august that I'd like to have the roof vent fan for so I'm not done tinkering yet but maybe for a month or so. Savings account is looking pretty sparse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles