Huenersdorff 47L Aluminum Box Unboxing/First Impressions/Review

FJOE

Regular Dude
I also happened to find this same item/ manufacturer on Alibaba. They offer it in .08 and 1mm versions. Would be interesting to see what price point a US retailer could bring these to market. I'd be willing to bet even at 100% mark-up they'd still be the cheapest option available.

There is an importer where I live now, and I have gotten them for less than half of what the "super awesome overland" companies want. Here, they bolt them on the backs of scooters for takeaway/delivery services. How's that for overland?

Rourke7982

Turns out mine go here a lot faster than UPS originally estimated. Definitely a great deal at $105. Thanks for finding and posting this one.

60Dan

Explorer
Thanks for posting this and the detailed review. I have a couple AluBoxes, great to see a cheaper alternative out there

Curious about why the holes in the rim around the opening and is that a hole for a missing rivet below the handle where the panels overlap?

SnoViking

Adventurer
The lid portion actually has two layers and the rivet is pulled through the first and set into the second. I thought the same thing until I realized it creates a nice flush face and inside lip.

JKChad

Observer
Great find. I am looking for some solid constructed boxes to mount on top of my rack with my rooftop tent. 2 of the 70L boxes would fit just right. Looking like $250 shipped. I'll definitely be ordering these soon.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

SEREvince

Adventurer
Received mine today. I think maybe some fraud prevention settings on my debit card were the issue. I used a different card and had zero issues, despite the description saying no US delivery. At first glance the box seems well worth the money. I'll probably be ordering a couple more. Thanks for the heads up!

Cheers

Vince

Eagle05

Adventurer
Cheap(er), and Fast Delivery too.

Thanks for posting. I have a couple Alu-Boxes (42&60), and ordered one of these in the 76L size. I submitted the order early Wednesday morning and it arrived mid day Friday. All for $148 vs $315 or so shipped for a similar Alu-Box from one of the stateside dealers.

The similarities remind me of a Yeti cooler versus a RTIC version. Nearly the same, but not quite. The lid feels a little flimsier, but I attribute that to a different hinge style as well as being a larger size with more surface area.

Solid deal and I will probably pick up another down the road. They are a nice change of pace from all of my heavy Pelican cases. Thanks again, Patrick (SnoViking).
IMG_8055.jpg

A picture of all three of mine, and of the 42 and the new 76 with the lids open. The 76L is on the right in both pictures.
The photo doesn't show it, but the opening between the edges of upper lip is just a bit wider with these German boxes, which I really like so far. I'd say 1/"4-1/2" or so.
IMG_8057.jpg

Last edited:

cruzerDave

Observer
How well does the plywood work as a step and a seat, now that you've had it for a bit? Also, how is the water-resistance in your opinion? Good enough to live on top of the truck?

I'm going to Germany this fall and thinking of buying a couple and checking them home as baggage...

SnoViking

Adventurer
How well does the plywood work as a step and a seat, now that you've had it for a bit? Also, how is the water-resistance in your opinion? Good enough to live on top of the truck?

I'm going to Germany this fall and thinking of buying a couple and checking them home as baggage...

I havent used the plywood top as a step yet (havent needed to) but it's been nice and durable for tossing stuff on top of it in the back of the truck. I had the box out in a light rain and it fared great. One thing I plan to do when I get back towards home is to run a bead of clear silicone around the edge of the wood top to keep any water from pooling under the top.

I'm planning on ordering a 29L version to fit right behind my fridge so dry foods.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader

I'd think that the airlines would beat these up pretty bad if you checked them as luggage with items in them. Some airlines also don't allow cardboard boxes. Be sure to check before arriving at the airport.

SnoViking

Adventurer
I'd think that the airlines would beat these up pretty bad if you checked them as luggage with items in them. Some airlines also don't allow cardboard boxes. Be sure to check before arriving at the airport.

I concur..... I think these would arrive not so perfect with the "airport handler touch".....

I've had Pelican cases busted when checked....

Lurch

I'll weigh in here. I ordered two of these after reading this thread. The first arrived in ok condition, but had a couple of small dents in the side, no big deal. The second arrived a few days later with the shipping box torn and crushed and the rivets holding the lid sheet to the frame were busted and the case was unusable. The sides were crushed and dented in a few places as well. I filed a return with Amazon UK and they sent me a new case and told me to keep the old one since shipping would be so much. The replacement case came and while it was in better shape than the other one, the lid frame was out of square causing it to not latch properly.

Bottom line either Huenersdorff QC stinks are they need to pack these things better for shipping around the world. There was zero packing material in the box it came in. I would not order again or recommend.

SnoViking

Adventurer
Maybe I lucked out and the person working at Amazon UK that day over-packed my setups. Mine came shipped in brown boxes with the white boxes/case inside. Hopefully Amazon takes care of you!

Edit: Both of mine were Amazon warehouse deals also. So they weren't shipped right from Huenersdorff.

jeegro

Adventurer
Bought the same box as OP. Paid for the $6 shipping that took a couple of weeks. Hindsight, pay for the $20 air shipping to have it arrive in better shape and quicker. Arrived with a dent in the side... popped it mostly back into place. Initial impressions, same as op, people refer to these alu box's as "lifetime ownership" but I just don't see this thing holding up to years of abuse. I still like it though. It is super light and spacious. Opposite of a Pelican. Price makes this a good buy. $250 for an alu-box or Zarges is crazy in my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles