Howdy!

oldsmoky

Hey all I just joined and thought I would introduce myself. I just bought a Gen 2 SR 3.5 DOHC with winter package and am totally stoked! Was a huge rally fan in the 80's both group B and of course the Paris to Dakar, and love the Mitsubishi history! I'm planning to do a 4m40 swap eventually (I love diesel smoke!) actually have a 95 pajero intercooler hanging in the shop fresh from the UK . This truck has 115K and is in excellent shape inside, all original even the stereo with cassette and 6 disk channger. Oh and it has blown headgaskets. But it was 750$ and with shipping it will still be a better deal than my last landcruiser. I was a Toyota guy for years but when my kids were in grade school I sold my 86' FJ60? Why, Who knows I Still miss it... Now I want another off road rig for the Montana trails (my F350 is too damn big) and a project to work on with my son, so decided on a Montero. The guy I bought it from in KS, who got it from the original owner, said the guy overheated it. There was exhaust from the upper rad hose but the engine ran great. My plan is to repair the engine, lift it a bit, all new bushings etc etc, 33's (maybe 35's and 4.90's) , add a front e-locker (nice of Mitsubishi to install the rear locker for me!), and drive it up to 10'000ft a few times on my favorite trails. When I have the 4m40 repower parts assembled I'll get it swapped. I have been searching for parts to do the heads, is there a good spot to find part numbers for upper engine parts, seals, crank bolt, gaskets etc etc? I will probably do valve seals, lifters, crank bolt, etc etc. Would love some suggestions on vendors and mfg's I hate crappy parts. Already learned a lot searching around here. Any suggestions on things to do while I have the heads off etc are appreciated.

oldsmoky

It has been sitting since 2016, I have a bunch more photos from the seller, the carpets look super clean, headliner is perfect. The seats are all in good shape with one small seam rip on the drives wing. All the parts are present, although some of the engine parts are currently in the back seat.

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
Needs some work, but looks like a good start. Grab the FSMs from the link in my signature.

Welcome aboard.

oldsmoky

Michael, Thank you for the welcome and for the FSM link! That is incredibly helpful. It is a project for sure. I have been looking for a Gen 2 SR over the last 6 months and this is the best interior condition and milage combo I found and it is rust free. I like turning a wrench but do not like body work, the dented door I can live with. Just excited to get this cleaned up and back off the road.
Cheers,
Michael

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Good find!

I want to try wheeling Montana someday but I keep hearing the wheeling isn't great. Looks amazing.

oldsmoky

Ya wheeling here is HORRIBLE!:ROFLMAO:. I will say it is different than other spots as almost all trails are in and back, however it is as hard and scary as anywhere in the country. I have only had to bail out once, jumped up on the seat and dived out the passenger door as it went over. Man watching your truck lights pinball off trees and rocks 1000ft down a mountain until the battery gets crushed is surreal. Recovery with a block and tackle and ridiculous amounts of trawler line, hanging it off trees as we went was even more fun. Was thankful I knew a boat captain. Got it back to the road and went home for the trailer, next day I got there and it was stripped, engine and tranny gone, and burned...wild west for sure. If you find your self out here shoot me a message and I will point you to some fun spots. And not Haystack mountain....

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94