Howdy y'all...Another new Mitsu convert.

B.N.Z.MTNS

Elevation 8,500’
Hey everyone,
I'm new to the forum, I've been hanging out off and on but never had much to talk about on here until recently. I'm new to Monteros, but not new to off-road adventures.

I grew up in the back of a 1980 Jeep Cherokee in the mluntains of Colorado and 4wd had been a staple in my life ever since. I've had several different rigs over the years and sold them as budget dictated to move on to the next project. Just a couple years ago I finished building a K5 Blazer and had it just how I wanted. However, it was more of a redneck rock rig than a family friendly adventure rig. We also were saving money to adopt a baby boy, so the toys had to go.

I miss it, but now I have found a great compromise in our new Mitsu. I have been on the hunt for a more family oriented 4wd at a reasonable price. I was of course looking at all the offerings from Toyota and Jeep, but out where we live, all the mainstream brands are trendy and I didn't want to just fit in to what's cool. As my search broadened and I started liking what I was seeing on here.

Well, as luck would have it, I stumbled across a clean coil sprung 95'. This thing was owned by an older couple since new. When the husband died, the wife just used it for drives to the hair dressers and doctor appointments. Otherwise it sat in the garage staying pretty. There is not one dent in the body, or a single stain on the inside. Everything works perfectly and she had receipts for every service ever done on it, including 2 timing belts. Its got 201,000 miles on it but it looks like its only got 10,000. If that wasn't enough, somehow there was 2 factory service manuals that came with it.

So, needless to say, I'll be posting up with progress pics and questions if my research can't answer for me. It won't be a build per se, but more of a mild family fun machine. Something to navigate around our local mountains and the occasional long weekend camping trip.

The attached pics are of my previous red neck rig and of course our new Monte that my daughter decided to name "Climber".

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1481689669611.jpg
    FB_IMG_1481689669611.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 1211160940.jpg
    1211160940.jpg
    572.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 1211160956a.jpg
    1211160956a.jpg
    562.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 1211160941a.jpg
    1211160941a.jpg
    569.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 1211160954.jpg
    1211160954.jpg
    526.1 KB · Views: 24

B.N.Z.MTNS

Elevation 8,500’
My first mod was to get it registered and make it mine. I had personalized plates on my last rig that have now found their new home aboard our MM.
B.N.Z.MTNS has been my user name for many years on other forums, so I figured if I put it on my vehicle, I can always "Be iN Z MouTaiNS"
:)

Attachments

• 1213162242a_HDR.jpg
    1213162242a_HDR.jpg
    530.1 KB · Views: 17

B.N.Z.MTNS

Elevation 8,500’
Welcome! Very clean, looks like the previous owner installed locking hubs?

Yup. Apparently the service manager where it was taken for maintenance had done that in the interest of better mileage.
As far as I can tell, that's the only aftermarket item on the whole vehicle........for now.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
congrats , montys are incredible. You will enjoy it even more once you put some miles on her.

Also locking hubs is an excellent upgrade :ylsmoke:

SONICMASD

Adventurer
Excellent find, welcome to the club! I understand not wanting to go crazy with the family vehicle. A set of 31" all terrains will suffice for most trails and shouldn't be too bad for the 3.0L.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B.N.Z.MTNS

Elevation 8,500’
Excellent find, welcome to the club! I understand not wanting to go crazy with the family vehicle. A set of 31" all terrains will suffice for most trails and shouldn't be too bad for the 3.0L.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm thinking maybe a little lift and 33s. Most of our trails are pretty tame, but there are plenty where I wouldn't mind a couple extra inches of clearance in Rocky sections.

I'm debating the pros and cons of coils vs spacers as well as torsion crank vs new indexed bars.

I wouldn't mind a slightly wider wheel or offset just to increase my track width by a couple of inches.

Any thoughts?

plh

Explorer
I'm debating the pros and cons of coils vs spacers as well as torsion crank vs new indexed bars.

Only reasons to go with replacement torsion bars are: 1. You want to change the load carrying characteristics. 2. Your current bars are damaged (really don't wear out). 3. you want to change your ride characteristics.

Index only if there isn't enough adjustment travel.

"Cranking up" bars only moves the ride height up. The suspension travel (total distance up & down) is limited by the suspension and frame geometry. So moving the ride height up just biases where the at rest point is within the total travel.

33"x10.5" should fit on stock wheels with no issues.

Take it to a real alignment shop after you get the new tires and ask them to set the front ride height level with the rear while doing the wheel alignment. Most chain tire shops with alignment services won't have a clue what you are talking about. A real alignment shop will know.

I uses these guys: http://www.frameandaxle.com

Last edited:

B.N.Z.MTNS

Elevation 8,500’
Only reasons to go with replacement torsion bars are: 1. You want to change the load carrying characteristics. 2. Your current bars are damaged (really don't wear out). 3. you want to change your ride characteristics.

Index only if there isn't enough adjustment travel.

"Cranking up" bars only moves the ride height up. The suspension travel (total distance up & down) is limited by the suspension and frame geometry. So moving the ride height up just biases where the at rest point is within the total travel.

I uses these guys: http://www.frameandaxle.com

Great input.
The only reason I am thinking about new torsion bars as opposed to just cranking them is my ride quality. I have cranked torsion bars on many late model Chevy trucks I've owned in the past... it always ended up in a stiffer ride.
I don't know that much about the Montero torsion geometry to know if the ride quality is affected as much, but I assume that indexed bars gain the height without a drastic ride compromise.

Again, I don't want to raise the COG too much since its already a bit on the narrow side, just enough height for some of the usual high center spots, increased approach/departure angle in and out of washes and creek beds etc.

From my research, 2' suspension lift and 33's will help with all of this and still be manageable for pavement life.

Dereksd

Adventurer
Torsion crank really didn't make the ride rougher for me. If going with 33's I would do a 10.5 wide. Anything more might be getting heavy for the 3.0L. Mine has 33X10.5 on a 3.5L and it gets slumpy up hills sometimes

RyanY

Adventurer
Cranking the torsion bars doesn't change the spring rate of the bars themselves, so the ride quality won't change unless the suspension is lifted to the point where it's hitting the bump stops.

B.N.Z.MTNS

Elevation 8,500’
Cranking the torsion bars doesn't change the spring rate of the bars themselves, so the ride quality won't change unless the suspension is lifted to the point where it's hitting the bump stops.

This is what I have been reading a lot lately. So I guess its just a matter of fresh suspension components vs 20 year old factory components.
I wish the tires on this weren't so new so I could justify a lift sooner. Oh well, It gives me time to save up and make sure I do it right.

Thanks for all the input and advice so far gents.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior