Howdy guys

kayak

I'm a college student with Cerebral Palsy and and a love of fishing. As a result of the CP I use a Segway for mobility purposes, but I cannot fly with it. Because of this, I'm hoping to build a 4x4 camper van to use as a mobile fishing base camp, as well as doing some light overlanding in order to reach remote fishing spots. I've been looking into the e-series sportsmobiles, as well as 4x4 VW vans, sprinters, etc. Not looking at something like a unicat, as the predominance of my miles will be highway; but for that periodic remote trout trip the 4x4 would be nice. The van will be a loooong ways off, but I just thought I'd stop in and say hello.
PS, they're missing a segway category in the two wheeled overland vehicle section:D
16333_1202869005660_1646640084_521553_5390308_n.jpg

-kayak

Last edited:

offroadcamperguy

Supporting Sponsor
You're awesome!

Hey Kayak....

Welcome to the Portal! I am pretty new here too, and I'm just learning how to get around and navegate the system. Happy to have tripped over your post.

My dad is in a wheelchair and he goes fishing all the time. He has rigged up a motorhome/toyhauler style so that he can roll in through the garage door ramp and use the rig just great. He rides a John Deer Gator ATV to get down to the water and fish. So, you're on the right track for sure.

Your Segway in our picture looks killer! Did you help design or modify it to be so 4x4ish?

We build custom truck campers normally, but we have done custom work of just about every type (see attached photos for some examples), so when you get closer to acting on your eventual dreams/plans feel free to call me up and we'll see if there is any way that I can help put it all together!

Talk Soon, stay cool,

Robby
picture.php
[/IMG]

picture.php

jcbrandon

Explorer
Welcome aboard, kayak. You'll find lots of great folks here along with some inspiration and ideas. That is the baddest looking Segway I've ever seen. Can you tell us more about it?

vanderpooch

Authentic Adventurer
:Wow1: Very COOL!!
Glad to have another East Coaster too!
If there's every anything I can help you with Just give me a shout! (Like stay away from Syncros lol)

John

kayak

Your Segway is killer!

Granted, a Unicat is out of reach for most of us... There is a very cool layout for disabled people already available!

http://www.unicat.net/en/info/HANDICAPPED48.html
Geez, that Unicat looks like it could survive a zombie apocalypse.:D I'm relatively lucky in a sense that I am not wheelchair bound, I just have a hard time covering long distances or standing for long periods of time, so if/when I build a rig it will be relatively mild in terms of handicapped junk. A class three hitch and an eight way plug to power my segway lift on the back, and maybe some hand grabs in the interior. I'm leaning towards a adventurewagen/sportsmobile type setup, as I like the compact setup, but I am going to do an interior shower as I don't really want to have to worry about setting up anything after a long day of flyfishing.
Welcome aboard, kayak. You'll find lots of great folks here along with some inspiration and ideas. That is the baddest looking Segway I've ever seen. Can you tell us more about it?
That's the Segvator SegTrax prototype. The folks at Segvator took a standard Segway X2, the offroad segway model, and mated it to a pair of mattracks ATV tracks. The pictures on their website show the tracks before they were lightened and narrowed, as seen in my earlier photo. The only drawback is that the added weight of the tracks reduce the top speed of the unit from 12.5 MPH down to about 6-8 MPH, and the range per charge from 16 miles down to about 8. But the beauty of them lies in the fact that you can traverse over loose surfaces that would ordinarily bog down wheels.
http://www.segvator.com/Joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=47&Itemid=57
For reference, here's a standard Segway X2:
segway_x2_adv.jpg

-kayak

DjDrewDigital

Observer
Hey that's a rad set of wheels you have! I'd like to see pictures of it in action! I have a X5 powerchair that I take off roading on hiking trails. If you're ever on the west coast it'd be :sombrero: fun to go wheeling together!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles