How would you spec the new defender?

LR Max

Local Oaf
I did some research, seems like what you REALLY want (assuming you want all the off road things) is the "Terrain Response 2" package. It has the rear diff locker and towing package which is what I want in my next modern-rover. Also has the off road cruise control (want). The HSE package has it standard, so I'd probably be looking for an HSE as I'd also want heated seats, front windshield, etc. I'll be honest, its a luxury car. I'll have the luxury bits as well.

If I wanted to drive a rattly tin can, I'll drive my 109 (which I do often).

Other than that, I'd prefer the PHEV version. Real talk, I'd be using it mostly to commute in. Also full electric off road would be rad. For east coast use, you wouldn't be in low range for more than 20 miles or so. Combined with a reasonable commute, now you are talking decent fuel savings. 300HP is enough for any SUV. The Turbo will help significantly for that once-every-3-years I got to Colorado and drive the passes.

Also the on board air connection. That sounds wonderful vs. hauling around my twin ARB suitcase compressor.

Probably get the trunk igloo just to annoy my wife. Its so stupid. Love it.

I'd pass on the diesel unless they make it cheap/easy to get into. But coming from that industry, if anything goes wrong, its so expensive.

As for tires and wheels, whatever it comes with, I'll just destroy those and then get 18s.

Last mod, extended warranty.

blackangie

I did some research, seems like what you REALLY want (assuming you want all the off road things) is the "Terrain Response 2" package. It has the rear diff locker and towing package which is what I want in my next modern-rover. Also has the off road cruise control (want). The HSE package has it standard, so I'd probably be looking for an HSE as I'd also want heated seats, front windshield, etc. I'll be honest, its a luxury car. I'll have the luxury bits as well.

Other than that, I'd prefer the PHEV version. Real talk, I'd be using it mostly to commute in. Also full electric off road would be rad. For east coast use, you wouldn't be in low range for more than 20 miles or so. Combined with a reasonable commute, now you are talking decent fuel savings. 300HP is enough for any SUV. The Turbo will help significantly for that once-every-3-years I got to Colorado and drive the passes.

Also the on board air connection. That sounds wonderful vs. hauling around my twin ARB suitcase compressor.

I'd pass on the diesel unless they make it cheap/easy to get into. But coming from that industry, if anything goes wrong, its so expensive.

As for tires and wheels, whatever it comes with, I'll just destroy those and then get 18s.

Great post

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

DieselRanger

In Colorado, windshields are consumable items so I'd definitely pass on the heated windshield - did pass on the D5. Heated seats and steering wheel are a must though.

I didn't get ATPC in my D5 - frankly not sure when I'd use it. With the Diesel and the low range gearbox in manual mode, it crawls at any speed in almost any gear - unless I'm held in my seat by my seatbelt and my left leg bracing on the dead pedal, I have to use the long pedal to make it go downhill. I believe the Defender has a better crawl ratio than the D5 even. And the lightest toe tickle to make it go uphill.

I bought the extended warranty on my D5 but didn't buy the prepaid service - I'd spring for the prepaid service for 4 years assuming they still offer it.

I'd get the window...box...thing just because I'm sure someone will figure out a modular mount that will hold a couple Rotopax. Otherwise yeah, it's pretty dumb.

blackangie

In Colorado, windshields are consumable items so I'd definitely pass on the heated windshield - did pass on the D5. Heated seats and steering wheel are a must though.

I didn't get ATPC in my D5 - frankly not sure when I'd use it. With the Diesel and the low range gearbox in manual mode, it crawls at any speed in almost any gear - unless I'm held in my seat by my seatbelt and my left leg bracing on the dead pedal, I have to use the long pedal to make it go downhill. I believe the Defender has a better crawl ratio than the D5 even. And the lightest toe tickle to make it go uphill.

I bought the extended warranty on my D5 but didn't buy the prepaid service - I'd spring for the prepaid service for 4 years assuming they still offer it.

I'd get the window...box...thing just because I'm sure someone will figure out a modular mount that will hold a couple Rotopax. Otherwise yeah, it's pretty dumb.
Good for muddy boots, airline, food condiments etc

DieselRanger

Good for muddy boots, airline, food condiments etc

Yeah, I could put all sorts of things in it - work gloves, trauma kit, tow straps, extra TP ... but because it's advertised as "not intended to be removed once fitted," I'm sure to find something that I'd rather put there instead. A Rotopax or two comes immediately to mind....

blackangie

Yeah, I could put all sorts of things in it - work gloves, trauma kit, tow straps, extra TP ... but because it's advertised as "not intended to be removed once fitted," I'm sure to find something that I'd rather put there instead. A Rotopax or two comes immediately to mind....
It can be removed, but not intended to be removable.

I'm going to put ladder on that side, and gullwing awning on other side.

Can't imagine a simple mod for those plates everyone uses for the quick release Pelican mounts would be hard to install; they would also hold the Rotopax mounts just the same to meet your needs. The good news is, if the chassis/body skin is good enough for JLR to bolt these things to, that means the aftermarket could go there as well and maybe offer better options than the JLR version.

Like was @LR Max put down for the methodology behind engine and options choice as that really would meet my normal use if I was buying for a daily driver. On the same note, I do not want my DD to be my overland rig anymore so I'm still trying to slim down the cost while keeping the capability up and that is why I am hoping for a $2k added diesel version with the same bells and whistles as the HSE trim and maybe it saves me a few grand with steel wheels!

merrion13

Just got the update from my dealer today that I need to go non-refundable on my deposit and confirm my final build spec, targeted shipment in July. I know how to spec, but I would love to hear if anyone has seen or can share images of what the khaki grain interior option looks like? I'd prefer to avoid black, and won't go Acorn due to it being too light. Can anyone opine on the khaki? Thank you!

voodoojk

Adventurer
Just got the update from my dealer today that I need to go non-refundable on my deposit and confirm my final build spec, targeted shipment in July. I know how to spec, but I would love to hear if anyone has seen or can share images of what the khaki grain interior option looks like? I'd prefer to avoid black, and won't go Acorn due to it being too light. Can anyone opine on the khaki? Thank you!

I just spent all day driving one that i think has this color.. its not bad.. not really tan but has a green tint to it. Almost moss like.. if you don't want black or acorn then this would be your best bet. i tried to zoom in on the only 2 pic i got of the interior from that day...showing the head rest and door panel. Not sure if it helps?
door panel.jpg
seat defender.png

Ryan...

Exactly like this:

49419416758_96a09b15c8_c.jpg

49419416733_7b20df0fa9_c.jpg

DieselRanger

Since the Tan Windsor leather isn't an option I'd definitely go with the Khaki if those pics are well represented on my monitor....

I have a thing for brown leather, have always wanted a car with a brown or saddle leather color....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94