How would you spec the new defender?

blackangie

Ok, it's getting close to Frankfurt time Sept 10 when the online builder and ordering books will open officially I'm going to have to start thinking seriously about how I'm going to spec mine.

If you're going to get 1 what would be your preferred engine, colour, suspension, tyres, seats, factory off-road accessories.

For me, if the straight 6 petrol is ecconomical enough and can wade as much as the diesel ill most likely go that way.
110 model
Colour: dark grey of some kind.
Air susp.
Muddies.
Leather and electric, 2+3 (3+3 is tempting)
Factory tube bar+warn winch, sliders, ladder, expedition rack, snorkel, recovery points all around, bash plates if avail.
Android auto
Good stereo
Everything else can be utilitarian as possible.

Thoughts on my choices and what would your spec be without getting into diesel vs petrol war

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

naks

IF our circumstances were different, and by that I mean that if I had contained myself and not bought a Sport Supercharged last year, then I would probably get a new Defender.

but we're moving countries, and we already have 2 LRs in the garage here, so no chance of adding a 3rd one...

Like you, I would go petrol, depending on the effective range possible.

blackangie

IF our circumstances were different, and by that I mean that if I had contained myself and not bought a Sport Supercharged last year, then I would probably get a new Defender.

but we're moving countries, and we already have 2 LRs in the garage here, so no chance of adding a 3rd one...

Like you, I would go petrol, depending on the effective range possible.
Very jealous, I have test driven, you could always trade in, would blame you if you didn't though.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
OK, I'll play. Assuming the new Defender meets the previous design profile I noted then:

- 6cyl Diesel
- 110 model
- Air susp
- HD package as I suspect that is optional
- Cheapest tires you can get on 18" wheels as they are going to be swapped fairly quickly to very good A/T's (M/T's suck on ice). The factory tires are usually cheap.
- No bull bar as the factory metal is thin. Aftermarket here.
- Same with sliders
- Leather
- No navigation if possible
- Good AM radio with weather channel. My D1 radio sensitivity if superior to my LR4
- Cold climate package
- Tow package
- LR floor mat set
- Light/Heritage Green

blackangie

OK, I'll play. Assuming the new Defender meets the previous design profile I noted then:

- 6cyl Diesel
- 110 model
- Air susp
- HD package as I suspect that is optional
- Cheapest tires you can get on 18" wheels as they are going to be swapped fairly quickly to very good A/T's (M/T's suck on ice). The factory tires are usually cheap.
- No bull bar as the factory metal is thin. Aftermarket here.
- Same with sliders
- Leather
- No navigation if possible
- Good AM radio with weather channel. My D1 radio sensitivity if superior to my LR4
- Cold climate package
- Tow package
- LR floor mat set
- Light/Heritage Green
+1 to the 18s

I wonder if the 6cy diesel will be avail from launch, this is the disco diesel avail in oz. But think there is new straight 6 version?
59cf99d549674732b8c700d6bed84c8f.jpg

DieselRanger

Inline 6cyl turbodiesel, 110, lockers, rock rails and winch, ladder, full-sized spare with any off-road wheel/tire package, and bucket front / bench 2nd row seats with Windsor leather and the Meridian sound system.

If the 3rd row is an option I would not get it for the loadspace and weight savings.

Oh, and classic olive green with a white safari roof, of course!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

DieselRanger

+1 to the 18s

I wonder if the 6cy diesel will be avail from launch, this is the disco diesel avail in oz. But think there is new straight 6 version?

There should be a new inline 6 turbodiesel. That one looks like the SD6 engine, which I didn't think carried the Ingenium branding.

blackangie

There should be a new inline 6 turbodiesel. That one looks like the SD6 engine, which I didn't think carried the Ingenium branding.

Yeah thought was strange, old picture or wrong wording?

DieselRanger

Yeah thought was strange, old picture or wrong wording?

I don't know...it's still a Ford block I think on the SD6, just with an extra turbo instead of a variable-vane single turbo, so I'd be surprised if Ford would have let them brand it that way.

We can't get the SD6 in the US. I don't think LR wanted to spend the time and money to certify it when they had the new I6 on the way.

At least that's what I hope the reason is, because I'd love 300hp / 500lb-ft in the Disco.

blackangie

Solid cargo barrier or net? Which would you choose and why, both have same safety standard, both have advantages imo.
842558a5dbc6df73ec5818aabb9dc459.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles