How would you setup a full size tablet/Gps uint in this interior?

RallyJeep91

So yea need ideas to find a good place to place a full size ipad in my 1991 Jeep XJ interior mainly going to use it for GAIA. 20211129_203558.jpg
I can find products and DIY ideas for tablets/GPS mounts/mounting places,but it's mainly towards 97+ XJ's with the redesign interior.

billiebob

The best spot is in front of the heater, radio.
Full size ipad is too big for above the dash and in front of the glove box inly works if you have a navigator full time.

I eliminated the rear view mirror decades ago and mount my eye phone there, a mini ipad could work too bit anything else is likely too big since the XJ headliner, roof is quite low.

86scotty

Cynic
Agreed, I would just cover the stock radio that you probably aren't using. If you get crafty you could do a flip up/down style mount that will let you get to your climate controls.

rnArmy

Adventurer
I used a RAM mount on my 98 TJ. It attached to the passenger seat frame. Although I did add a custom spacer mount to move the pole over and back some (and modified the mount itself to bring it back some so the glove box could open all the way), it worked great. I was using a large apple tablet.

It isn't cheap, but it was very sturdy. I ran the TAT with it.

Ram.3.jpgRam.12.jpgRam.14.jpgRam.16.jpgRam.15.jpg

pith helmet

@ pith helmet will the plastic be hard enough to hold it even on rough trails?
I don’t think so. You’d have to do something like @rnArmy above or bolt the plate into some metal. I’d be surprised if there weren’t model specific mount plates.
disclaimer: I have no experience here, just have seen a bunch of them in work trucks I’m around.

Bullseye240

Adventurer
Start looking here:
They probably at one point made specific mounts for the XJ due to its popularity with government agencies but have likely since discontinued them due to age. You might find some used somewhere at some gov-resale sights or fleabay with some diligent searching. Ram-Mounts are great products for this and as stated with the small interior of the XJ you're going to have to place it in front of something. But hey, at least you don't have to worry about air bags blasting it around the cabin in the event of an emergency.

rnArmy

Adventurer
I believe RAM sells the parts separately. You can see in my pictures above the steel plate that mounts to the front seat mounts. You should be able to easily fab such a mount, and then get the upright pole and adjustable arms and tablet mount.

Just a suggestion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94