How would you outfit this custom LJ?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I made a quick proof-of-concept prototype of the Exogate tailgate prop design. It's a very simple design, so it didn't take long to make. This prototype is made of lighter gauge metal than my design calls for, but I made this first version just to test the concept and operation, not to test strength. Also this prototype is made from steel that I had on hand; the final version brackets will be made from aluminum and the prop rod will be stainless steel.

It installs by bolting to existing holes in the hinge. I haven't installed it on a Jeep yet, but here's a quick video of it in operation in an Exogate hinge.

Prop deployed:

ExogatePropProto1Deployed_zpshsid86hl.jpg

Prop stowed:

ExogatePropProto1Stowed_zps3xrvfbyu.jpg

The design operates as intended and it can be installed with any of the current Exogate hinge-mounted accessories on the market (or with any of the accessories in prototype form here at my house ;)), so having proven the concept the next step is to make some prototypes with final metal for installation and testing in the real world.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
That looks like it could be used on my factory hinges as well!
Sorry, but this isn't compatible with the factory hinges. It mounts in the hollow space inside the MORryde hinge; the factory hinges don't have that space. But the MORryde hinges are available separately (without the full tailgate reinforcement kit) and they're a direct bolt-on replacement for the factory hinges so maybe it's time for an upgrade ;)

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Metal for the final prototype tailgate props arrived today. The brackets get cut from square aluminum tubing and the prop rod gets made from 3/16" stainless rod. I've got enough material to make a bunch for testing.

Materials_zpsowq8c0hu.jpg

I'll make one and install it on my LJ tomorrow morning; photos and videos of it in operation on the Jeep to come. Stay tuned.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A final prototype "MORryde tailgate hinge prop" - I'll call it that because it works on any MORryde tailgate reinforcement, v2 Exogate, and with MORryde the HD TJ tailgate hinges without the reinforcement installed. It consists of 3 pretty simple parts.

The brackets were cut from the 1"-square aluminum tubing and the prop rod was bent from 3/16" stainless rod.

ExogatePropParts_zpsbxvyeobb.jpg

Installed in a hinge:

ExogatePropProto2Deployed_zpsxexur11t.jpg

ExogatePropProto2Stowed_zpsszjnayl8.jpg

Time to install it on the LJ; stay tuned for more photos and videos.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Tailgate prop installed in a hinge on the Jeep.

TailgatePropTestInstall_zpsx7fqzico.jpg

In case you're wondering, the wire in the photo powers the rear window wiper in my barn door.

I've got a bunch of Exogate accessories installed to add some weight for the test and to verify that the prop doesn't interfere with the installation of anything. Installed are: Hinge mount CB antenna and Rotopax carrier, Exogate bicycle carrier, spare mount HiLift carrier.

TailgatePropTestSetup_zpss2pxmmhr.jpg

I moved the Jeep to the side of the driveway so the angle prevents the tailgate from staying open and shot this video.

The prop works well. The install test did reveal a small change that would be good to make to the brackets and there is a slight bit of flex in the 3/16" prop rod, so probably I'll upgrade that to 1/4". I'll make a new set of parts with those changes for further testing.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I updated the prop design to include a 1/4" diameter prop rod and I simplified the catch bracket. I also added nylon bushings where the prop rod swings in its bracket; this will enable the parts to be ordinary steel with paint or powder coat rather than stainless steel. The new catch bracket is 3/16" steel; the prop rod bracket in this version is still aluminum because that's what I had on hand but can also be steel.

ExogatePropProto3Deployed_zpsir9cg9f4.jpg

After I paint the two steel parts I'll install it in a hinge on the LJ for testing.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Installed and tested the final prototype. Since I wasn't planning to paint the aluminum bracket I painted the steel parts silver to match. I expect if these made it to production everything would be black powder coat.

ExogatePropProto3Installed1_zpsmfvhixl1.jpg

There's no metal-on-metal contact; the prop rod rides in nylon bushings at one end and it's plastic-covered where it contacts the stop at the other end. The parts:

PropPartsFinished3_zpswvtp9a0d.jpg

This version meets my design goals, works as intended and is plenty strong so I'll declare the project done.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A week or so ago I posted photos in my JK thread of a new design spare-mounted trash/gear bag I came up with:

LidSides_zpsedder2eq.jpg

In that thread I also posted photos of a load of soft tops the dealer gave me when they were cleaning out their storage room. Using some of the fabric from one of the premium tops they gave me, I started work on a spare tire bag. In this photo all of the parts are cut and ready for sewing to begin.

PremiumFabricKit_zpstmq7aqzg.jpg

It'll end up looking like this photo edit in which I replaced the Spice color with black:

TrashHopperLJ2Black_zpsdzr0y1xd.jpg

Should match the black LJ nicely. And speaking of matching, in this next photo the remaining pieces of premium soft top fabric will be used to make a new set of roll-up soft sides for the LJ Safari Cab - the black premium fabric will look great with the black LJ. I've got all the parts for those - fabric, zippers, plastic strips to secure the bottom of the sides to the tub rails, everything except the tinted vinyl window material. The supplier I want to use for that is very slow in shipping right now due to virus constraints. It won't stop me from sewing the soft sides though, installing the windows is the very last step so if I finish the rest of the sewing before the vinyl arrives the sides will end up being "panel truck sides" with no windows until the vinyl does arrive.

PremiumFabricParts_zpsooee6f5x.jpg
The black trash/gear bag I sewed on the black LJ.

TrashHopperBlackLJ1_zps1p9snp3b.jpg

TrashHopperBlackLJ2_zpswgwyn3fh.jpg

TrashHopperBlackLJ3_zpsxcnu4mlz.jpg

TrashHopperBlackLJ4_zps4kr9nb1i.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
One feature I added to this version of the bag is a handle strap on the back; if you're carrying trash in the bag and want to carry it somewhere to empty it a handle would be useful (left photo). It also accepts a shoulder strap or backpack straps.

TrashHopperStraps_zpsdfed48ab.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Since I've got the premium soft top fabric from the soft tops the dealer gave me, I'm working on a new set of soft sides for the LJ. So far I've sewn the zipper strips that attach to the hardtop and secure the soft sides to the top. I'm making all the new parts compatible with the old parts, so in this photo the old soft sides are zipped in place to the new zipper strips which are still under construction. The old sides are made from standard soft top material, which is much lighter in color than the premium material. I think the darker sides will look great with the black Jeep.

NewZipperStripsWithOldSides_zpsx4frgqcs.jpg

Now that compatibility between the old and new has been verified, I'll sew the new side panels out of the premium fabric.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Work in progress. The light spots on the sides are sunlight through the trees, not stains on the fabric, the fabric is in like new condition. I haven't done the windows yet so for the moment it's a panel truck :).

NewSide1_zpsm9uroh4s.jpg

NewSide1a_zpsrbt3hiyt.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Finished sewing the new roll-up soft sides, except for the windows, I'm still waiting for one sewing component necessary for sewing in the windows to arrive, so until then it'll be a panel truck with the sides rolled down or it'll be like this:

PanelSides1_zpsiojia7rv.jpg

PanelSides2_zpsh3q8616t.jpg

PanelSides3_zpsvrupp6yc.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Yesterday I showed the spare mount bags and spare mount Molle panel to someone from a Jeep fabric accessories company today and

they seemed to like them a lot so maybe they'll end up in production.

Also finished sewing the windows into the new roll-up side panels...

1593182347782.png

1593182323170.png

Still to do is sewing a new soft upper for the rear barn door in the premium fabric. And sewing "SAFARI" emblems to the side panels; the local embroidery place that's doing them for me is a bit backed up because they just reopened after the virus shutdown.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke