How would you outfit this custom LJ?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Cool, with me, I just tought you had made this so only the winch would be flexible and quick install. In this case, you could have only gone with installing and renoving the winch plate on the proper jeep. With the same conector for the wires.

But this is just me. Have a good one. :)
I made it so both the winch would be flexible and quick to install and the winch receiver would be flexible and quick to install.

Swapping a winch plate on and off and swapping the winch onto that plate (if the plate were different between the LJ and the JK) would take far longer than installing the winch receiver and sliding the winch into the receiver. The winch receivers take 5 minutes or less to install and didn't require any changes to ay part of the Jeep, like removing trim panels around the bumper, etc. They're both very simple bolt on/bolt off operations and neither requires dealing with bolts underneath, it's all done from above the bumper. Very quick and simple.

Lucky j

Explorer
I made it so both the winch would be flexible and quick to install and the winch receiver would be flexible and quick to install.

Swapping a winch plate on and off and swapping the winch onto that plate (if the plate were different between the LJ and the JK) would take far longer than installing the winch receiver and sliding the winch into the receiver. The winch receivers take 5 minutes or less to install and didn't require any changes to ay part of the Jeep, like removing trim panels around the bumper, etc. They're both very simple bolt on/bolt off operations and neither requires dealing with bolts underneath, it's all done from above the bumper. Very quick and simple.

I really get where you are with this. I just think that it could have been possible to simply keep the winch on a standardized universal type plate, or permanently mounted brakets on bothc jeeps that only the plate and winch would have been switch.

We each have our way to do things and I understand that you went with what make sense to you. Witch is good. :)

Have fun outhere. :)

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I really get where you are with this. I just think that it could have been possible to simply keep the winch on a standardized universal type plate, or permanently mounted brakets on bothc jeeps that only the plate and winch would have been switch.

We each have our way to do things and I understand that you went with what make sense to you. Witch is good. :)

Have fun outhere. :)

Is there a winch plate design that installs/removes in less than 5 minutes, doesn't alter the stock look of the Jeep when the winch and plate isn't installed, allows the winch to also be used on the back of the Jeep in minutes when needed on the trail (with my design the winch will mount in the receiver in the back) and provides for a simple tow bar attachment? Those were my main requirements and I couldn't find anything that met all of those requirements.

Lucky j

Explorer
Is there a winch plate design that installs/removes in less than 5 minutes, doesn't alter the stock look of the Jeep when the winch and plate isn't installed, allows the winch to also be used on the back of the Jeep in minutes when needed on the trail (with my design the winch will mount in the receiver in the back) and provides for a simple tow bar attachment? Those were my main requirements and I couldn't find anything that met all of those requirements.

Of course not. But was there a sectional fiberglass top that looks like a defender roof of a sectional trailer before you designed them. I think the answer is nope.

You are into the design portion of things. So I'm I, just not to your level of detail. I just think that it could have been done. Perso, I went with 2 winch, one front and one in the back. I had no used to switch them to an other vehicule and wanted them intergrated to my jeep and ready on the fly. This is me and I'am not you. And their is no wrong answers to this, just preference.

We just do things the way we think they are the best for us. I think that this could have been done a defferent way if you plan was to remove every thing. But it is ok. This is what you designed and wanted. But since you posted here from the begining, you know you will get comments. Good or bad, mine is not even bad, it is simply a comment on a different way of seeing thing. Sorry if it may have looked bad, it was not my intention.

Again, have fun outhere. :)

Luc

jscherb

Expedition Leader
The other day Gr8Tops posted this on their Facebook page - this Safari Cab equipped LJ just sold at a Barrett Jackson auction for $26,400.

66173971_2920565697985104_4441038923283562496_n.jpg

billiebob

The other day Gr8Tops posted this on their Facebook page - this Safari Cab equipped LJ just sold at a Barrett Jackson auction for $26,400.

66173971_2920565697985104_4441038923283562496_n.jpg
I love the contrasting top treatment but I prefer old school colours, like Wimbledon White on the top and a pale, pastel blue, mustard or red on the body. The bits of black on the doors and hood look "childish?".

$26,400, gotta love a rising market when you own one.

Fargo

Adventurer
It must have been the top :) I am at a loss as to why this Jeep sold for so much. I can only assume someone saw the top and thought it was something very special. I searched the website to find more info on the Jeep. I figured it must be really low miles or something. Nope. The listing said 'under 72,000 miles'. So I am going to guess it had something like 71,900+/-.

Its a nice Jeep. But apart from being an LJ with the safari top, its not really special. I love my LJ Rubihara, but if someone gave me $26,000 I wouldn't have to think too long to accept that offer.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
It must have been the top :) I am at a loss as to why this Jeep sold for so much. I can only assume someone saw the top and thought it was something very special. I searched the website to find more info on the Jeep. I figured it must be really low miles or something. Nope. The listing said 'under 72,000 miles'. So I am going to guess it had something like 71,900+/-.

Its a nice Jeep. But apart from being an LJ with the safari top, its not really special. I love my LJ Rubihara, but if someone gave me $26,000 I wouldn't have to think too long to accept that offer.
Based on the current prices for used LJ's, I think the hardtop added even more value in the auction than the price Gr8Tops charges for the top.

Fargo

Adventurer
Based on the current prices for used LJ's, I think the hardtop added even more value in the auction than the price Gr8Tops charges for the top.

Thats exactly what I was thinking. I think somebody purchased it without realizing you can get that same top from GR8Tops. Then again, maybe it was just the fact that it was sold through Barrett-Jackson. I think thats a little different clientele than a normal auction.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
For my JKU I've done a bunch of storage options that hang off the seat back; they attach to a zipper that's secured to the headrest posts. This is a leather Biker handlebar bag that I modified with zipper attachment zipped to the back of the seat:

BikerBag2_zpsm56g503s.jpg

The JL seat posts are different but I designed the zipper attachment so the same one works on both the JK and JL. The TJ/LJ doesn't have a removable headrest with posts, the headrests in those models are an integral part of the seat. I wanted this same capability in my LJ, so I designed a zipper/Molle attachment that works with the stock TJ/LJ seats with no modification. Here are some examples of stuff hanging on the seat back:

TJZipperFBags_zpsozpwtfvz.jpg

• First Row:
    • Overland Outfitters Backpack
    • Overland Outfitters Grab & Go First Aid Bag
    • Military waist bag modified with zipper attachment
    • Overland Outfitters Roll bar bag modified with zipper attachment
  • Second Row:
    • Leather Biker handlebar bag modified with zipper attachment
    • Molle bag
    • Two belt-clip pouches
    • Walmart trash bag modified with zipper attachment

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Are any of these TJ/LJ styles going to market, via your connections?
Yesterday I emailed the photos I posted to my contact at Overland Outfitters to see if they might be interested and it sounds like they are. If they do the seat attachment I sewed yesterday, that will support Molle bags, belt clip pouches like the Husky tool belt pouch in one of the the photos, and the Overland Outfitters Backpack and their Grab & Go bags like the First Aid bag. The other things in the photos (military waist bag, Biker handlebar bag and the Walmart trash bag, as well as the modified Overland Outfitters Roll bar bag) could be done if they think there's demand for them.

BTW their Roll Bar Bag (unmodified) fits in lots of places in the LJ...

TJLJRollbag_zpsycloiu2s.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier