how was your 2017 rifle elk hunt?

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I was lucky enough to shoot a spike just before 7 am opening morning, had I waited literally 2 minutes I could have taken a small branched bull, but with the 3.8 mile pack out on our backs I was happy with the spike. We de-boned it and packed it out to the truck, dropped it off at the butcher, and were home for dinner. To be honest was almost anti-climatic because it happened so quickly, my previous elk were taken almost a week into the hunt later in the day at the bottom of a steep canyon, but this one was 53 yards off the main trail with 80% of the hike out being downhill. It was still hard work, just not as hard as previous hunts, very thankful to fill the freezer and not be away from family longer than needed. The pants I was wearing have become my lucky pants, I was wearing them for all 3 elk I have harvested as well as when I caught my biggest lake trout, not bad for a pair of $8 REI pants!

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Here is a picture, and we were wearing our orange but had just hung it on a branch before getting bloody.

Attachments

• 20170916_072726_resized.jpg
    20170916_072726_resized.jpg
    408.3 KB · Views: 19

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Lucky You! I thought this was the year of finally get to go elk hunting but time got away from me. Looking forward to next year.

Marine

Adventurer
Nice harvest. I'm hoping to get out to Oregon to go after Roosevelt elk with my bow next year. Again congrats on your success

outdoornate65

Adventurer
I was lucky enough to shoot a spike just before 7 am opening morning, had I waited literally 2 minutes I could have taken a small branched bull, but with the 3.8 mile pack out on our backs I was happy with the spike. We de-boned it and packed it out to the truck, dropped it off at the butcher, and were home for dinner. To be honest was almost anti-climatic because it happened so quickly, my previous elk were taken almost a week into the hunt later in the day at the bottom of a steep canyon, but this one was 53 yards off the main trail with 80% of the hike out being downhill. It was still hard work, just not as hard as previous hunts, very thankful to fill the freezer and not be away from family longer than needed. The pants I was wearing have become my lucky pants, I was wearing them for all 3 elk I have harvested as well as when I caught my biggest lake trout, not bad for a pair of $8 REI pants!

I question the validity of this hunting story. Everyone knows you can't get pants at REI for $8.

shifty98

Observer
Our family had a pretty great hunt. 7 hunters in camp, 7 elk. Here's a pic of mine. This was on public land. Mine was shot at about 10,000ft.IMG_0152.JPG

WyoCherokee

Adventurer
mine was extremely frusterating. i allocated and hunted more days this year than any other year of my life(i literally hunted every single weekend and available day after work from Aug 15 to Dec 15, and all i came out of the year with was 2 antelope. i ran in to one raghorn elk and couldnt get a shot. maybe next year.

shifty98

Observer
Thanks! Its actually a 6x6, but its hard to see all the tines at that angle. I did a euro mount. The one on the left is from this year.
IMG_9458.jpg

commandoNate

Got a pair of cows

I was fortunate to be able to spend most of 2 weeks chasing bugling bulls with my bow here in Colorado but in the end was not able to punch my tag. It was my first season bow hunting, man do I have a lot to learn about the early season and their behavior! My backup plan was a rifle cow tag. I've taken a number of elk with the rifle and one with a muzzle loader. I had an awesome week in late October on a public land backpack hunt with my hunting partner (who also got his cow) and my dad along for the ride. He loves his backpacking, and hauls out a front quarter for us here and there. We keep his freezer well stocked for his effort. 69 years young in this pic, now 70.

IMG_0583.jpg

IMG_0599.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0600.jpg
    IMG_0600.jpg
    590.4 KB · Views: 7

ninjaexplosion

5th day. 120yrd. 3x4. Great night. 230pounds of meat
83825353801314d580c98e0e4350af40.jpg
5f51fe9b8945ef11fb8d1c453aa58afa.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics