How warm is RTT?

Norcalfamily

Our family purchased a 2006 Horizon with Simpson II RTT. Kids want to go camping right away but nights will fall to 40s. With regular sleeping bags, will we be warm enough or should I acquire a heater source first. I expect no rain and not too much wind.
My seven year old is so excited, she didn't want to go to school but stayed in the tent. She went to school of course.

GDSQDCR

Adventurer
I don't have one so can't answer the original question. However, we have a Mr. Heater (smallest one), which is perfect for our Lifetime trailer tent. This past summer we were by Cedar Break, temps were in the upper 30's at nice and we were quite warm with the little heater.

We had two adults and 3 kids (7,6, and 4).

Anthony

Do Not put a Buddy Heater in a RTT! Fire risk is to high!!! Lots of blankets is your ticket. RTTs are no warmer than a ground tent. They do not contact the ground but you have airflow under the tent and is just as cold as ground contact.

waterboy222

Adventurer
A second layer to break the wind and provide a thermal trap makes a difference. A simple tarp strung over the RTT (but not touching it) will help, so I've been told.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cleand

Adventurer
I would have to say my roof top tent is much warmer than my ground tent. If you are going to have your family all together in the tent you should be more than fine. If you are worried about the cold you can throw down a wool blanket under you and bring and extra comforter to throw over everyone. My family and I stay super warm like this into the 20's.

95RRC

Adventurer
meh....they are plenty warm - just carry throw blankets or an extra sleeping bag to open up and throw over whomever gets a little cold. I have found it to be warmer than the ground tent becasue of the mattress insulation.

kingg5

Adventurer
they are definitely warm.

do you have the annex?

this is where i place my mr buddy heater. (never used while sleeping)

i turn it on for about 45 min before bed, and when i wake up (always up first) ill throw it on. sometimes in the middle of the night my 6 year old complains she is cold, so ill go down n turn it on for 15 min while i have a pee brake and soak up the awesomeness that is the wildnerness at night.

Finlay

Triarius
On especially chilly nights, I put a blanket under the mattress to add insulation. A dog or two helps, too.

I've been in my rtt in 10-20 degrees and slept well.

Seeker

Adventurer
In my experience its the wind rather than the temps that gets you. We have a first gen Eezi-Awn and have had it out for numerous nights in the desert. The RTT is built by folks in warm climates to keep the rain off you and to ventilate to moderate the interior temp and humidity. They are virtually impossible to seal up against the wind or even the breeze. I have two vents up top that cannot be sealed at all, and the bottom lip on both tent doors cannot be sealed. Additionally neither of the windows seals well against the wind. We've stuffed clothes and all manner of items against the interior of the tent to try to stop the draft but it doesn't work. Manu is right, your only defence is good sleeping bags (and maybe a canine heater, but that has its own hazzards). We have two big Agnes Tall bags which when unzipped are virtually the size of the 1800's mattress and put them both on top of us. If the wind gets crazy then a couple of woll blankets on top of them to stop wind penetration. Of course, this doesnt fit when the tent is closed but you do what you must.

Cold is fine, but the wind will do a good job of continuously ridding you of any accumulated heat in the tent.

--Allen

DividingCreek

Explorer
I have the same simpson 2. If you close it up its comfortable well into the 30's, given the thick canvass. I don't use sleeping bags in mine- I take two down comforters, one to spread out on the mattress and one to use as a comforter. Have been comfortable below freezing. I have a friend with an Eezi Awn and he uses a heater buddy in his regularly without issue and has endured snow storms etc in bliss.

Last edited:

java

Expedition Leader
Mine definitely feels warmer than my ground tent. I think having cotton sides vs a thin synthetic helps a lot. probably the mattress to. I would feel toasty at 40

Norcalfamily

No I don't have an annex but I believe that CVT sells an identical model to the Simpson II model that I can use the annex from.
There is not enough room for four of us anyway with the Simpson II, I may look into an RTT for my Land Cruiser. I will probably buy one of those family size Eezi-Awn or CVT one.
I don't want to take a chance with propane gas heater so will just add some pads and blankets.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shevy5000