How to wire electrical

1000arms

I was thinking specifically about the "in camper" part. I noticed the IdaCamper plugs in just like a trailer.

It'd be awesome if there was a box you could just plug the camper lights into to wire them up. I'm sure there must be.
Try a search for "trailer light kit" for some examples. ... Keep in mind that a (semi)fixed camper on a truck frame (flatbed) may require additional lights depending on height, length, width and location.

ReluctantTraveler

Try a search for "trailer light kit" for some examples. ... Keep in mind that a (semi)fixed camper on a truck frame (flatbed) may require additional lights depending on height, length, width and location.

thanks! I’ve got a cheat sheet of Government requirements on lighting bookmarked.

1000arms

thanks! I’ve got a cheat sheet of Government requirements on lighting bookmarked.
You are welcome!

I suggest you consider what batteries you will be using in your camper.

Lead acid batteries of the capacity you will want/need will be heavy. If you use them, their location(s) should be designed in.

LiFePO4 batteries are more expensive, but lighter, for the same storage capacity. Planning their location would also be important, but the reduced weight (for the same storage) would allow more flexibility in location than lead acid batteries would.

Keep in mind that keeping your batteries heated, for camping in snow country, would be useful for the lead acid batteries and critical for the LiFePO4 batteries.

Alloy

I was thinking specifically about the "in camper" part. I noticed the IdaCamper plugs in just like a tailer.

It'd be awesome if there was a box you could just plug the camper lights into to wire them up. I'm sure there must be.

I did a quick search for "12V Camper (trailer is much the same) Wiring Diagram" and found this site

1656609639584.png
Start by making paper squares with the names of the devices you want to power (+ a distribution panel) and lay them out on a pcs of paper. You could post a picture here.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
When you say “in-camper” lighting, do you literally mean ambient light for tasks and reading and such?
I’ve taken to using LED strip lights. They are extremely simple to wire, can be cut to length, and provide great diffused light.

ReluctantTraveler

When you say “in-camper” lighting, do you literally mean ambient light for tasks and reading and such?
I’ve taken to using LED strip lights. They are extremely simple to wire, can be cut to length, and provide great diffused light.

The "plug-and-play" thing I was referring to is like the brake lights, turn signals, etc.

I imagined the 12v LED task and overhead lights would be wired "the traditional way" like all of the other stuff in the camper.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
The “Plug and Play” solution is called a “Trailer wiring junction box”. They use ring terminals to connect the lights, but are generally well labeled and easy to install with decent instructions and color coding.

ReluctantTraveler

The “Plug and Play” solution is called a “Trailer wiring junction box”. They use ring terminals to connect the lights, but are generally well labeled and easy to install with decent instructions and color coding.

A perfect, thanks! I know our travel trailer has something like that on the underside. Super helpful. Cheers!

ReluctantTraveler

You are welcome!

I suggest you consider what batteries you will be using in your camper.

Lead acid batteries of the capacity you will want/need will be heavy. If you use them, their location(s) should be designed in.

LiFePO4 batteries are more expensive, but lighter, for the same storage capacity. Planning their location would also be important, but the reduced weight (for the same storage) would allow more flexibility in location than lead acid batteries would.

Keep in mind that keeping your batteries heated, for camping in snow country, would be useful for the lead acid batteries and critical for the LiFePO4 batteries.

? My current plan is BattleBorn LiFePO4's. They have an option with built-in heating, I believe. I know they're pricey, but I'd rather spend more now than deal with headaches later.

1000arms

? My current plan is BattleBorn LiFePO4's. They have an option with built-in heating, I believe. I know they're pricey, but I'd rather spend more now than deal with headaches later.
They do, although there is still a limit to operating temperatures. This may not matter for you, but it would for a number of us on this forum. :) If you keep them heated and cooled within the temperature controlled camper, they should be fine even without the built in heating element, but, maybe you want to buy them with the heating element for backup, or perhaps keeping your options open for using them in another project down the road.

Operating Temp Range:
-4°F (-20°C) to 135°F (57.2°C) from:

andy_b

...Is there a canonical resource on how to wire electrical in a DIY camper? I've found a bunch of resources on the web, but nothing I view as a must-read for overlanders/expedition rigs.

If it helps at all, for my build I'm looking to include...
  • A DOMETIC RTX 2000 12v AC
  • 12v fridge
  • Maxxair fan (or two)
  • A portable induction range
  • A propane furnace
  • A TV or two
  • A bunch of outlets (110 and USB)

Those of you who've built your own rigs: did you DIY the electrical, or hire an electrician to wire it up for you?

As others have mentioned, DIY allows you tremendous control over your system and fixing it on the road.

Explorist Life has some great plans and tutorials: https://www.explorist.life/solarwiringdiagrams/. Likewise, Will Prowse is a well-known solar nerd and resource - his YouTube channel is great and the forum he runs can really get into the weeds as you learn more. DIY Marine is no longer updated but is a amazing resource on detailed how-to's and tooling.

Many of us have figured it out along the way. I think if I could figure out how to do all this, anyone can.

I could not imagine how much it would cost to have a pro wire it but your current aspirations would be super simple.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I saw my camper mentioned, and figured it was worth a comment.
And please, if you have more questions, do ask. Im happy to help.

Yes, my rear camper lights, as in clearance/tail lights, and blinkers are plugged in in the rearmost of the camper just like a towed trailer would be.
I don't have a photo handy, but if you look close (hard to see) you can see the harness coming out of the camper.
Since I do occasionally tow with the camper, I added a second 4-pin harness plug that is located just to the right of the left-most truck backup lamp.
Again, this is only for the rear camper wall mounted tail lights.
52193811729_a9ff104c1f_b.jpg

The camper itself is wired independent of the truck, with the on exception being the 2AWG connected to the batteries VIA a large anderson plug at the front of the camper.
This allows the truck to charge the camper battery bank while running. It also allows for charging the truck batteries with the camper mounted solar.
And if the need ever arose, we could even jump start the truck with the camper batteries if the truck battery went down.

Here is a shot of the camper fuse block, and solar charge controller.
All located in a simple shallow cabinet.
43424033594_01724ffb3c_c.jpg

I modified the "flush" anderson plug to be flange mounted and watertight.
49927686711_a082c76314_b.jpg

And finally, and I cannot recommend this enough.... do yourself a favor and wire all all accessories (like the 2AWG camper lead) properly.
One way to do that is to provide a dedicated fuse/relay block. I fabricated ours and placed it in a convenient under-hood location.

Included are fuses for every accessory Ive added to the truck, as well as large continuous duty relays for both the camper (200A) and winch (500A) circuit(s)
All of which are controlled via the overhead switch console from the drivers seat.

44609377970_9b756aa91c_b.jpg

32554106628_3ed55ae874_b.jpg

31778926907_2e7f93d3a2_b.jpg

And simple wiring diagram I threw together for the project.
If you have a single vehicle battery, just ignore the second battery in the diagram.
I drew it up thinking Id want a second battery. If we winched often, Im sure we would.
But so far, it hasnt proved it a requirement.
45623018562_9a7fd9a4fa_b.jpg

Last edited:

ReluctantTraveler

The camper itself is wired independent of the truck, with the on exception being the 2AWG connected to the batteries VIA a large anderson plug at the front of the camper.

This allows the truck to charge the camper battery bank while running. It also allows for charging the truck batteries with the camper mounted solar.
And if the need ever arose, we could even jump start the truck with the camper batteries if the truck battery went down.

Two questions for you, Kenny...

1. I believe the 7-pin connector can be used to charge the house batteries (that's how our current travel trailer works, anyways). Is wiring that separately what allows you to also charge the truck from solar, jump it, etc.? That's a smart setup if so! I could see that being used as a maintainer when the truck isn't in use for a month or so.

2. How did you learn how to wire all this up? Was it just instructions that came with what you bought, or did you binge watch a bunch of YouTube videos or something?

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Sorry for the confusion.

To be clear, the camper used a 4-pin trailer connector for tail lights.
The 2AWG cable connects truck to camper for charging purposes.
The 7-pin trailer connector on the truck is NOT used.

How? Lifelong home builder and fabricator.
But it did take some you-tube vids to clarify some electrical points/concepts. ;)

ReluctantTraveler

To be clear, the camper used a 4-pin trailer connector for tail lights.
The 2AWG cable connects truck to camper for charging purposes.
The 7-pin trailer connector on the truck is NOT used.

Thanks! And I'm assuming you didn't use a 7-pin because while it can charge the house batteries, it can't feed electrical back to the truck?

How? Lifelong home builder and fabricator.
But it did take some you-tube vids to clarify some electrical points/concepts. ;)

Ah, you're a pro! I feel a Iittle less terrible about my DIY skills now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz