How to test 4wd before buying a used 2.5gen?

twocommas

Observer
I have done my research and think that a 2.5gen Montero would be the ultimate weekend car for me. I have my eyes set on a few in the area, but don't know how to test the 4wd systems. One of the Monteros is sold by a dealer who (over the phone) changed through the different modes while parked, and said that the green wheel lights would blink when in 2H, and that the orange center and rear diff would blink when in 4L and 4L(locked). Is this a problem with the 4wd system, or is this kind of thing that needs to be tested while the car is in motion? I can test these Monteros while driving around the block on city streets if necessary.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Yes, needs to be driven a bit, but DON'T test the locker on pavement unless you are driving in a straight line. No turns at all on pavement with locker on.

Some Monty's that were not regularly put into 4wd will be a bit stubborn to get all the way into 4L. Best thing to do is to cycle it in/out of 4wd multiple times to break through the sludge that's built up.

Also, sometimes the bulbs that indicate the system burn out, so it it could be solidly engaged, and you'd never know without wheeling it... unless they were blinking during transition of course.

twocommas

Observer
Thanks for the suggestions, I will try it on my next test drive. So I would be driving it in "drive" when I switch between the different 4wd modes? Or do I put it in neutral while in motion to do that?

The two Monteros I had my eye on both sold in the last few days, so I gotta keep my eyes open for another white 2.5gen close to SoCal :sombrero:

Clem

Adventurer
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=162058&thumb=1&d=1369003650

The picture is kind of small, so I'll paraphrase...you can shift into 4 high (4H) and 4 high locked (4HLc) while moving at speeds up to 62MPH or below. It has been my experience that if you shift from 2 wheel drive (2H) to 4H the auto-hubs will not lock (lights stop blinking) until the vehicle is in motion. When shifting into 4 low (4LLc) from 4HLc the vehicle should be stopped and the shifter in "N" (neutral) position.

HTH,

Clem

Last edited:

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Yes, needs to be driven a bit, but DON'T test the locker on pavement unless you are driving in a straight line. No turns at all on pavement with locker on.
You can't tell if the locker is engaged by driving in a straight line on pavement.

Only 2 ways to tell on pavement.
1) Get one rear tire in the air at slow speeds while slowing the other 3 tires. Watch if it spins faster or at the same speed as the other side. Same speed= locker.
2) Take a slow turn and listen for one of the tires to break free and spin faster than the other tire.

Problem is you won't find a spot to do #1 on the pavement. Best bet is to do number 2.

that said, you can put a lot of stress into the drivetrain if you do this aggressively or too much so don't unless you want to be replacing your axles or possibly your locker.

Last edited:

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
Engaging the locker in a parking lot and initiating a slight turn at walking speed will immediately tell you all you need to know without damaging anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94