How to tell if you got a 233 or 260 rear axle in your patrol?

Hawairish

Observer
I'm with broncobowsher here. There are too many attributes. Dana axles and H-series Nissan axles aren't even constructed the same, so axle tube information in itself isn't a sufficient way to qualify strength.

Dana axles use tubes pressed and welded into cast housings. The Nissan C200 above is similar in concept. Dana 44 tubes are 2.75" diameter with 5/16" (wall thickness) according to the internet. Dana 60s are 3.125" diameter, and didn't find a reliable answer for wall thickness in the 30s that I looked. On the other hand, the H233B, H260, and even the puny H190 axle housings are made from formed steel halves welded together...The steel probably isn't even 3/16" thick, yet their tube diameters are 3" (not sure about the H260, but I presume it's the same). The C200 is also 3" diameter, but the tube is presumably thicker given its construction.

The H233B is stout, and the H260 is stouter. If you're in the market for a Patrol, then those are the options. Doesn't really matter how compares to Danas, in my opinion, because they aren't Danas. Your front axle will be a H233B regardless. Both axles suffer from a severe lack of aftermarket support, but the H233B is a global-use that has a rather solid reputation. I'd have no problem whatsoever with a Patrol on H233Bs.

For what it's worth, H233B parts are "larger" than Dana 44. The rings and pinions are larger and thicker. The axle shafts are thicker. As above, the axle tubes are larger. If size correlates to strength, then the H233B is between a Dana 44 and 60. I'm not familiar enough with H260 to rate it. But like broncobowsher alluded to, strength is subjective. The H233B 33-spline axle shafts are thicker than the H233B 31-spline shafts. The C200 used the same 31-spline shafts as the H233B, but the C200 is almost as puny as the H190 diffs (the C200 is nowhere close in comparison to the H233B as was suggested previously; I'd put it above a Dana 30). I've never seen a destroyed H233 diff or axle shaft, so either they're really good, or no one wheels Nissans. No shortage of busted Danas out there. Why bother comparing the two?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne