How to tell if you got a 233 or 260 rear axle in your patrol?

Oshkosh-P

Observer
Hello,

is there any way to tell which one of the 2 possible rear axles you got under your Y60 or Y61 patrol? I am currently looking for one and it might help to decide between two trucks.

In case of the LC 80 you could tell if it had full floater by how far the axle ends stuck out through the rims (sorry for my english) but afaik both those axles are not full floaters, so this probably won't work?

Greetings

Hawairish

Observer
Nissan usually puts an “Axle Code” stamp on the VIN plate under the hood on the firewall. In the US, the code has also appeared on the driver’s door jamb sticker. The H233B has an “HG4x” code designation where HG indicates the H233B axle, and 4x is ratio (somewhat). Not sure what the H260 code is, but I’d expect it to be H-something (my H190A-equipped truck is HA, for example).

Oshkosh-P

Observer
So if i see a sticker with anything different from a HG in the code, it's automatically a 260?

Can yu tell them apart from the outside somehow? Bigger Diff or anything?

Jampatrol

Observer
So if i see a sticker with anything different from a HG in the code, it's automatically a 260?

Can yu tell them apart from the outside somehow? Bigger Diff or anything?

H260 is a much bigger diff. The ring gear on a 260 is 10.24 as opposed to 9.17 on a 233. The number is the ring gear size in millimeters. The bigger diff comes on some Nissan truck as well as the Patrol pickup and some GUs.

Jampatrol

Observer
Some of the H260s are also full floaters. Personally, I've never seen a full floater, but they're in the repair manual.

Oshkosh-P

Observer
Ok so i guess it is very unlikely, that there any Y61 with the big rear anywhere in europe right? Except maybe someone ordered this to build a tow truck out of it or something like that.

I have seen a 4.2 Patrol Pickup truck of the Y61 Generation once beeing sold here for a quite ridiculous price, dont know if that y60 already got the good modern frame of the Y61, but with that engine and the probably bigger rear axle it would have been worth it maybe.

Does the FF rear has those nubs standing out of the rims lie with the toyos?

Jampatrol

Observer
Ok so i guess it is very unlikely, that there any Y61 with the big rear anywhere in europe right? Except maybe someone ordered this to build a tow truck out of it or something like that.

I have seen a 4.2 Patrol Pickup truck of the Y61 Generation once beeing sold here for a quite ridiculous price, dont know if that y60 already got the good modern frame of the Y61, but with that engine and the probably bigger rear axle it would have been worth it maybe.

Does the FF rear has those nubs standing out of the rims lie with the toyos?

From my understanding, there was no pattern to Y61s with the big diff. Nissan used them with different engines. One might have and another might not. The H233 is a very strong diff and the front axle in the Y61 is very strong. Even though the H260 is strong, you'll lose diff clearance with the bigger diff.

The Y61 has a stronger frame than the Y61, but the Y60 has a strong frame to begin with anyway. The main advantage with the Y1 is a more modern shape and some slight improvements overall.

I believe all FF rears have the hubs standing out.

Oshkosh-P

Observer
Thank you for the Info! Well the thing is, all the very rare 4.2 Diesel engines over here have been inside Y60's so far. I like the Y60 design more anyways, but of course i would also like to get the strongest frame and axles.

Well i guess i can forget on the H260, do not see any patrol on the plattforms with hubs standing out, but sounds like this is not to important to begin with.

Jampatrol

Observer
The smaller axle is good for most situations. The Patrol is as tough as nails, so you shouldn't have any issues :).

abcab69

I am bashing a set of MQ Patrol UTE axles under my D21 Hardbody/Pathfinder and got my hands on a H260 rear. You can't miss it, its a darn truck diff size. I was super happy to have it till it got under my rig on 33s, and I realised how limited my pumpkin clearance is. And seems to be evident by the damage the drain plug has sustained in its 30 years of service on the previous vehicle.

But this diff has a legendary LSD unit, and mine after 30 years, is as stiff as hell. I was not able to spin the wheels in opposite directions till I had it on my car, with one wheel on the ground, and a massive breaker bar on the other wheel.

H260 next to C200 Nissan diff (much the same size as the H233)
a75c47b434b542a3a380e27b527de2b8.jpg

d4de73bd040e51469ceb943c7dbbc663.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Oshkosh-P

Observer
Sorry to digg out this old topic, but how does the H 233 and H260 compare to Dana Axles used in HD US Trucks?

Like the Dana Super 60 as a front axles with it's 3.75" axles tubes (i guess its the same for the rear version) is that Dana Super 60 as strong or stronger as a H233 and how about compared to the H260?

Jampatrol

Observer
I've heard that the h233 would be comparable to most of the Dana 60s while the H260 would be comparable to the Dana 70.

Oshkosh-P

Observer
That would indeed make sense, but where does the Super 60 fit into this? I heard ist actually stronger than most D70's. What ist the tube size on a H233 or H260?

broncobowsher

Adventurer
You are splitting hairs at this point. What part of strenght are you looking for? Torque capacity, GAWR ratings, shaft size, ring gear diameter, spline count, the list goes on and on. Who is stringer, the one with more arm strength or the one with more leg strength? They can both be the strongest, and the weakest. Want to add some aftermarket support to that Dana 60? Now you are putting some steroids into the strength comparison. Is that fair? Well they are stronger. Do you want factory strength only or let the steroids play?

Oshkosh-P

Observer
Well for me its probably facory only since the legal options around here are limitet. But are the tube sizes really something to be considered hair-splitting? Because to me that's the most visuably thick and strong part of any axle and if it gets bend that#s it....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles