How to move heavy picnic table with 1 person?

1000arms

Maybe I could add brackets to hold the table on the dolly? Campsites in the national forest are generally reasonable flat, but I do see your point.

Even if you found/fabricated great brackets, the little wheels (on the dolly you linked) will sink in and/or stick very easily.

Although it seems you are also trying to avoid tearing up the ground of the campsite, it appears that using a vehicle/horse/winch/block+tackle/come-along/... would work best for you.

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
I think you'll still not enjoy lifting a table high enough to get it onto that type of flat furniture dolly. I guess you could use a long lever or jack to lift it. You'd still be better off with larger pneumatic tyres over the terrain you're likely to see. Here's an option that would pack small, and you could strap it to a table. Still kind of fiddly, but it'd get the job done.

View attachment 570564

Not a bad price, and there are cheaper panel dolly options. I'd opt for one with an adjustable width unless you find one you know will always be wide enough. A big advantage with this type is that the lifting height is fairly low.

I got the idea of a smaller dolly from this guy, who actually uses it to move picnic tables: https://weedwarrior.blog/2018/05/31/rediscovering-the-wheel/

billiebob

(1) Picnic tables in national forests have gotten massive---very long (extension for wheelchairs) and very heavy. (2) They're almost never in the right spot for my needs. Is there a simple wheel contraption that I could place under two legs at one end to make it easier to drag the table? I'm thinking of moving the table out of the way and using my own small table, which could be moved into the shade or sun at will throughout the day. Note: The table legs are round steel tubing---see photoView attachment 570515
The tables are massive to stop the tenants from moving them around. Be one thing if the table was put back when the tenant moved on but all too often they are left for the Park Staff to move back. I'll bet moving the tables creates head aches for everyone in the future.

Just like the signs used to say "no camping", now they say "no overnite parking".

shade

The tables are massive to stop the tenants from moving them around. Be one thing if the table was put back when the tenant moved on but all too often they are left for the Park Staff to move back. I'll bet moving the tables creates head aches for everyone in the future.
I'm sure that's a problem.

OP may be better off not moving those tables and upgrading what they carry:

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
I hate to be that “guy” but, I think it’s reasonable to say.....don’t tamper/move or possibly damage NFS property, kinda like stay the trail and pack-in, pack- out to help reduce impact and cost on limited resources.
The newer ADA accessible picnic tables are built and placed to accommodate those with access issues. Moving the table from its original placement may cause access issues, particularly if you don’t put it back due to your own difficulties. They are also built to withstand the weather, environment and normal use. Lifting a heavy, solid table and dragging it may cause undue stress and damage to the table and possibly weaken it to the point of failure long before it’s life cycle is due. NFS spec picnic tables aren’t cheap, they can run upwards of $1000 plus shipping (Replacement would fall under that Ranger District and their budget....if they can’t afford it, it doesn’t get replaced) Under the NFS rules and regs tampering with park property resulting in damage may be a criminal charge/summons.
Three years of dealing with damaged park property in the Roosevelt NF gives one a unique view of how well meaning people inadvertently can damage property without meaning too but, in the end damage occurs.
Safe travels and take care of your injuries. Cheers.

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
Sounds like perfect 'ExPo Worthy reason to carry a HiLift Jack.
Seriously, Those things are easily dragged around, even without lifting one end.
If you cant pull using your arms.
Contrive a wide belt of some kind attached to rope. Attach the rope low on one of its legs, wrap the belt around 'yerass and lean back into it.

Exactly what I'm doing now. Not fun anymore.

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
I hate to be that “guy” but, I think it’s reasonable to say.....don’t tamper/move or possibly damage NFS property, kinda like stay the trail and pack-in, pack- out to help reduce impact and cost on limited resources.
The newer ADA accessible picnic tables are built and placed to accommodate those with access issues. Moving the table from its original placement may cause access issues, particularly if you don’t put it back due to your own difficulties. They are also built to withstand the weather, environment and normal use. Lifting a heavy, solid table and dragging it may cause undue stress and damage to the table and possibly weaken it to the point of failure long before it’s life cycle is due. NFS spec picnic tables aren’t cheap, they can run upwards of $1000 plus shipping (Replacement would fall under that Ranger District and their budget....if they can’t afford it, it doesn’t get replaced) Under the NFS rules and regs tampering with park property resulting in damage may be a criminal charge/summons.
Three years of dealing with damaged park property in the Roosevelt NF gives one a unique view of how well meaning people inadvertently can damage property without meaning too but, in the end damage occurs.
Safe travels and take care of your injuries. Cheers.

All good points, I'm sure. Question: In your opinion, where exactly should a picnic table be placed so that it meets the needs of everyone from campers with a two-person backpacking tent or hammock to those with a humongous RV? Many a time I arrive on the site and the table is located 20 feet or more from the fireplace because that's where the RVers wanted it. Other times the table has been placed in the sun when it's 95 degrees out---maybe because the RVers had an awning, whereas the next camper has no awning. Or RVers have put the table in the shade when it's 30 degrees because they're eating inside their heated RV. So which of these needs should get prioritized?

Last edited:

billiebob

Exactly what I'm doing now. Not fun anymore.
well thanks for screwing up parks use for the rest of us, as stated,

Under the NFS rules and regs tampering with park property resulting in damage may be a criminal charge/summons.

But just focus on what makes you happy. You might not see "damage" but any extra expense by parks staff is damage to thier budget. Might as well dig a latrine trench so you don't have to walk to the outhouse.

I work in tourist country, I've been a city councillor, keep the blinders on and ignore what happens as a result. We run 2 campgrounds and a hot springs and are lakefront, when customers step out of line, we resolve the issue so it does not happen again.

When the sign. "No Camping" at the beach resulted in confrontations we posted.....

No-Overnight-Parking-Aluminum-Sign-K-4266.gif

But focus on what you think counts. Ignore reality.

Last edited:

CampStewart

Observer
All good points, I'm sure. Here's the problem though: A campsite has to accommodate everything from a two-person backpacking tent or hammock to a humongous RV. Personally, I like for my tent, the fireplace, and the table to be logically located relative to each other. But what is logical for my setup isn't logical for someone else's. On top of that, in some national forest campgrounds built in the 1940s, the fireplace is located in an odd place that didn't predict huge RVs. RVers are very likely to move the table to a place that doesn't suit tenters. Many a time I arrive on the site and the table is located 20 feet or more from the fireplace. Other times the table has been placed in the sun when it's 95 degrees out. Or someone has put the table in the shade when it's 30 degrees. Regarding ADA compliance, yes, that's one of the reasons for 12' picnic tables with a wheelchair extension on one end. Interestingly, in 35 years of camping in the national forest, I've never seen a camper in a wheelchair. I do see increasing numbers of senior citizens camping alone, and they can't handle these behemoth tables. The norm where I camp is to move tables. It happens all the time. Rangers have sometimes offered to help me move a table.

You have been camping for 35 years in national forests and you can't figure out how to move a picnic table or work around its location? I find that lack or resourcefulness from someone with so much experience shocking. I would think if you are somewhat disabled you would be a lot more aware of the difficulty you may be causing other impaired campers by your actions no matter if you have seen any other disabled campers or not. We are all getting older and less capable every day but to me camping is about adapting myself to the environment, not adapting it to me. Are you the guy who cuts trees down so you can open your awning

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
All good points, I'm sure. Question: In your opinion, where exactly should a picnic table be placed so that it meets the needs of everyone from campers with a two-person backpacking tent or hammock to those with a humongous RV? Many a time I arrive on the site and the table is located 20 feet or more from the fireplace because that's where the RVers wanted it. Other times the table has been placed in the sun when it's 95 degrees out---maybe because the RVers had an awning, whereas the next camper has no awning. Or RVers have put the table in the shade when it's 30 degrees because they're eating inside their heated RV. So which of these needs should get prioritized?

I understand, it can be frustrating when others also break the rules with no apparent consequences. Kinda like getting stopped for speeding when everyone else was going just a fast......I don’t have an opinion because it is totally up to the engineers that setup that campsite based on the design and requirements set forth in the original design. If it becomes enough of a problem the park will most likely anchor the tables down to stop them from being moved (more costs). In the end, just kinda leave things the way they’re found and report any problems.

Be safe.

shade

I understand, it can be frustrating when others also break the rules with no apparent consequences. Kinda like getting stopped for speeding when everyone else was going just a fast......I don’t have an opinion because it is totally up to the engineers that setup that campsite based on the design and requirements set forth in the original design. If it becomes enough of a problem the park will most likely anchor the tables down to stop them from being moved (more costs). In the end, just kinda leave things the way they’re found and report any problems.

Be safe.
I've seen table tethering frequently. I suspect that as tables are replaced or new ones are added to camp areas, they're being anchored to prevent damage & theft. Makes sense, from a management perspective. I prefer they're attached with a short chain so they can be repositioned, but still kept confined to a small area. That seems to be the best way to meet the goals of managers & campers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles