How to mount a flatbed camper?

ReluctantTraveler

Hi all, I've been searching the forums looking for information on how you actually attach a DIY camper to a flatbed.

The impression I get is that heavy duty bolts are the most common or recommended approach, but can't seem to found any photos or detailed guides on how that might work. For those of you who have flatbed campers (DIY or store bought), would you mind sharing any details or photos about how that works and what it looks like?

I'm a visual guy, and am having a tough time picturing the setup (and how you avoid breaking the water-tight seal on the camper).

@IdaSHO - your camper is VERY close to what I want to build, and I couldn't find any pics of your mounting setup. I'd be forever grateful if you had anything you could share.

kmacafee

Adventurer
There are other options. Mines attached to the flatbed with fast guns which are easy to attach. Lowering a heavy camper down on to bolts that are not always easily accessible seems like a crazy method.

Mines never moved in 80k miles despite many off road miles.

ReluctantTraveler

There are other options. Mines attached to the flatbed with fast guns which are easy to attach. Lowering a heavy camper down on to bolts that are not always easily accessible seems like a crazy method.

Mines never moved in 80k miles despite many off road miles.

maybe a stupid question, but what are “fast guns”?

billiebob

maybe a stupid question, but what are “fast guns”?
yep, you'd think the opening.... "I'm a visual guy" would incite a photo explosion.... or at least a link

another option might be finding out how commercial boxes.... ie U-Haul attach their boxes. Definitely proven technology and likely economical

ReluctantTraveler

You are welcome!

I I did a quick web search ("bolt" "IdaSHO" "expeditionportal.com/forum") rather than use the forum search engine.

I did that, too, but I was using "mount" as my search term. I find I often fail on searches here because I don't quite have the terminology down yet. Cheers!

1000arms

You are welcome!

I I did a quick web search ("bolt" "IdaSHO" "expeditionportal.com/forum") rather than use the forum search engine.
I did that, too, but I was using "mount" as my search term. I find I often fail on searches here because I don't quite have the terminology down yet. Cheers!
Just to be clear (you may already understand this), when I want to find something on this forum, I often use Google or DuckDuckGo, put each term in quotation marks, and also include (in quotation marks) "expeditionportal.com/forum".

The results are often much better than what the forum search engine provides, and this method allows the use of many short words that the forum search engine ignores.

In this particular case, I had previously seen the IdaSHO posts that I posted above, and I knew to include "bolt". :)

ReluctantTraveler

Just to be clear (you may already understand this), when I want to find something on this forum, I often use Google or DuckDuckGo, put each term in quotation marks, and also include (in quotation marks) "expeditionportal.com/forum".

The results are often much better than what the forum search engine provides, and this method allows the use of many short words that the forum search engine ignores.

In this particular case, I had previously seen the IdaSHO posts that I posted above, and I knew to include "bolt". :)

yea I knew what you meant. Web developer here. But thank you!

kmacafee

Adventurer
no worries! I thought maybe it was a slang term or something. Didn’t realize it was a brand. ?

so those attach to the same brackets you’d hook your jacks up to, it looks like?
Correct. I don't travel with jacks and those brackets are probably the strongest part of the camper

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles