How to manage photo libraries?

Willsfree

Sorry the "/" was misleading. "-" is more appropriate
In the Pictures folder of Windows create "Year" folder names. 2021 etc.
In each "year" create 12 months. 2021-07 2021-08 2021-09 etc.
In each "month" create a day folder for each day you have pictures 2021-07-07 2021-07-19 2021-07-25 etc.
Same for Mac.
From here you need to go Lightroom or a similar program. I know Adobe is moving or has moved all their photo programs to subscription, which is not helpful for the casual or remote user. I am using a version of Lightroom that works off line.
In Lightroom you import the "day" folders. This shows Lightroom where the images are. You can edit and copy, add metadata create collections etc. within Lightroom. All editing and metadata is non destructive (except 'Delete"). The original images are untouched, Lightroom keeps track of all the adjustments you make to an image and applies them when you open the image. Once you add metadata you can use it to search.
Don't move or rename files in windows Lightroom will lose track of the image path. You can get Lightroom to find the path but it wastes time.
There are many good programs similar to Lightroom, some free, I am used to working with Lightroom for organizing and editing photos.
Whatever you decide to use, a simple folder system by date is the easiest simplest way. Use the metadata for everything else.
Windows will not read metadata to my knowledge.

Thank you for this helpful instruction. Managing files is not an easy task, somehow in my career I have not been instructed to follow a standard hierarchy protocol. Most co-workers have their own system or lack of one might be the norm. I create files within files once I accumulate more files than I can track in a folder. Metadata searching is a relatively new concept for me, but I will seek the method and value for photo searching and might be able to apply this idea to my work files as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94