How to lift and mount heavy baja style truck canopy (not slide in)?

deanerbeano

Hi all,

I'm buying this baja style truck camper to mount on my 07 silverado 1500, it looks to weigh around 500 pounds, maybe a bit more (seller is not sure).
I will have 4 strong sets of hands, originally was thinking we could lift by hand but wondering if anyone else had any insights, also thought about buying cable camper jacks (like this Brophy Cable Camper Jacks - 57" Max Lift Height - 3,000 lbs - Qty 2 Brophy Camper Jacks CJ41 (etrailer.com) ) although I likely won't be able to get them in time for the purchase this friday.

Wondering if anyone has done similar, all advice appreciated. Also wondering whether to attach bulb seal to camper as I have in the past, or truck bed rails which I have also seen recommended.

Thank you in advance, apologies if this is the wrong thread. First time I have posted in the forum.

Attachments

• truck camper.jpg
    truck camper.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 39

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Looks like it's a Callen Camper?? Great camper and steel framed if it is a Callen.

Yes, people use jacks to lift it. You will need a mounting plate that can handle the load.

I'd suggest googling it, there are plenty of answers on various forums

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I have a set of those cable jacks. Because my truck is lifted, I modified the jacks. I sleeved the original tubes with longer .120 wall tubing to make them taller, and replaced the cables with thicker braided cable. They work great. The photo shows them unmodified.

IMG_0200 copy.jpg

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
The jacks make loading an unwieldy camper like this easier.

But because that’s only a body wide shell, the jacks will set up a bit too close to your truck (they have ‘big feet’ and the triangle legs can get struck by your rear wheels as you back up).

So you’ll need to figure how someway to have the jacks clear your truck. One way I did that was jacking mine up by using a stock 8’ 2”x12” under the center of balance of the shell to be a bridge to the lip of the jacks. I would not try that on a windy day. And in any event, one has to proceed cautiously here because you do risk the shell falling off the board and injuring a helper.

deanerbeano

But because that’s only a body wide shell, the jacks will set up a bit too close to your truck (they have ‘big feet’ and the triangle legs can get struck by your rear wheels as you back up).

So you’ll need to figure how someway to have the jacks clear your truck. One way I did that was jacking mine up by using a stock 8’ 2”x12” under the center of balance of the shell to be a bridge to the lip of the jacks. I would not try that on a windy day. And in any event, one has to proceed cautiously here because you do risk the shell falling off the board and injuring a helper.
That’s a great note about the width of the shell and jack footprint. I saw in another post of yours that you rented the jacks, where did you rent them from?

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Looks like the camper a neighbor had. He used a chain hoist, lashed rope under the camper. He had a large oak tree in the back yard that suspended the hoist. If the camper wasn't on his truck it lived under that tree.

He also had another contraption behind his detached garage, he attached a pipe flange high on the wall, used about 2 1/2-or 3-inch pipe screwed into the flange, the pipe was about 6' to an elbow with another pipe running down perpendicular to the garage wall to a concrete base.

His chain hoist then worked from that upper pipe as a beam. This was fine for small lifts, boat motor, riding mower, but this arrangement wasn't wide enough to back his truck up and load that camper, so, like I said the camper lived under a tree.

Jacks are probably better as you can haul those with you if you need them, but this is an alternative at home.

NOPEC

Hi all,

I'm buying this baja style truck camper to mount on my 07 silverado 1500, it looks to weigh around 500 pounds, maybe a bit more (seller is not sure).
I will have 4 strong sets of hands, originally was thinking we could lift by hand but wondering if anyone else had any insights, also thought about buying cable camper jacks (like this Brophy Cable Camper Jacks - 57" Max Lift Height - 3,000 lbs - Qty 2 Brophy Camper Jacks CJ41 (etrailer.com) ) although I likely won't be able to get them in time for the purchase this friday.

Wondering if anyone has done similar, all advice appreciated. Also wondering whether to attach bulb seal to camper as I have in the past, or truck bed rails which I have also seen recommended.

Thank you in advance, apologies if this is the wrong thread. First time I have posted in the forum.

Failing the availablity of the jacks, If you could track down two more sets of strong hands and two 8 ft 2x4s, I think that four bruisers could do it easily and safely. You could put the boards under the front and back bottom edge of the canopy and then lift each corner with the boards to move the canopy to rest temorarily on the box siderails.

Once up, the team could gently lift each end to remove the 2x4s. If you are doing this often, then obviously jacks would be the ticket.

deanerbeano

Failing the availablity of the jacks, If you could track down two more sets of strong hands and two 8 ft 2x4s, I think that four bruisers could do it easily and safely. You could put the boards under the front and back bottom edge of the canopy and then lift each corner with the boards to move the canopy to rest temorarily on the box siderails.

Once up, the team could gently lift each end to remove the 2x4s. If you are doing this often, then obviously jacks would be the ticket.
It's going to be permanently on the truck, so I think this may end up being the way to go. Simple and cheap as long as nobody hurts themselves. I do have myself and 3 helpers.

eugene

Explorer

Our old camper the jacks had three feet each. The front feet I'd turn so one foot was pointing straight out from the truck and therefore the inner two were not very far under. The outer bit of the tires would run over them but it was right at the end of the foot where it was closest to the ground so it just flexed the tire a little bit and didn't hurt anything.

deanerbeano

That thing is awesome. Been looking for one for years. Congrats and enjoy.

It went real smooth with the forklift the seller didn't mention owning... thanks for the advice all, this thing is sweet! can't wait to build it out. Coming from a 6 inch rise fiberglass cap this is quite the upgrade.

Attachments

• IMG_2978.jpg
    IMG_2978.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2981.jpg
    IMG_2981.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2983.jpg
    IMG_2983.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 35

Forum statistics

Threads