HOW TO: Install Rough Country hidden winch plate for 07-13 Silverado 1500 into 01-10 2500HD

xripx

Hi all,

I recently did this mod to my 2008 Silverado 2500HD and the only info I could find on it was here at Expedition Portal, but it had very little detail and zero photos.
I acknowledge the 2nd gen Silverado is not popular amongst GM truck guys and even less so for overlanding, but I want this project documented for any future wayward internet traveller looking to do the same mod.

This is the truck in question:

This is the winch plate in question:

This winch plate is made for the 1/2 ton 1500 Silverado. The problem with this kit for us 2500HD truck owners, is the HD frame is roughly 1/2 inch wider than the 1500, and the tow hook bolt is in a SLIGHTLY different spot than on the 1500.

Onto the mod...
1) First take a look at the front of your frame, behind the front bumper, you should see this 3 bolt pattern:
(Inside of frame) (Outside of frame) The top two are 21mm and the bottom one, which helps retain your tow hook, is 18mm. You might not have a 21mm in your toolkit, as it's a bit uncommon, so just a heads up.

Here is the bracket that comes with the winch plate:

2) Now take some 1/4 inch steel which you're going to drill and cut into a spacer. I wasn't sure how many I'd need so I made 4. But I only needed 1, as it would have been REALLY snug with 2. As you can see you need to copy the hole pattern and oval out the tow hook hole. I didn't have to copy the pattern exactly as I only needed 3 holes, but did it anyway. Check it out:

And here:
https://imgur.com/tDUtBzw

And here:
https://imgur.com/b0aNv1i

Once that's done, you can see here why you need to oval out the tow hook hole:
https://imgur.com/JpEhb9L

3) The spacer will go right in thusly:

Here is the plate with the modified brackets installed:

At this point, I installed the winch onto the plate itself.

4) Now take off your front bumper, couldn't be easier. It's 10 bolts. They are located here:

5) Put in the complete winch assembly, reinstall bumper

6) You'll have to cut an opening in the bumper plastic to reveal the fairlead. I used a Dremel tool with a cut-off wheel. Be careful not to slice into the winch rope/cable.

And done

Once it's installed, you actually reach through the bumper air damn vent thingie to release the winch clutch or plug in the controller.

ALSO, in case you're not familiar with this platform, the 2nd gen Silverado is split into the '10 model year and older and the '11 and newer. THIS tutorial is for '10 and older. No idea if it would work for the '11 and up. I'm guessing no, however,

Last edited:

swrider

Observer
That's a pretty good write up, thanks dude.
Now if u can tell me how u mounted thos KC lights...
Now that is another item that i can find very little info on, besides buying a bull bar

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

1stDeuce

Explorer
You'd think Rough Country would just include two 3/16" spacers and offer it for HD's too... ?? Perhaps they're worried about some foo mounting a 15k winch to it and pulling it through the front bumper... ??

Like your truck, BTW, very retro!! :)

NeilKeady

I'm trying to do this hidden winch idea but I cant see any of the photos and on top of that I only have one factory bolt on a 05 2500HD on the inside of both frame rails, I might end up drilling holes thought the frame rails with sleeves inside the rails so I can have atleast three bolts per side. Has anyone incountered this on their silverados.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles