How to install and remove a truck camper without jacks?

mofo

I have found a old Palomino Popup in good shape, however it doesn't have corner jacks. I'm not familiar to using these things and curious on any ideas for mob & demob with out spending more for the jacks than the camper.

I have a 2007 crewcab silverado

Thank you in advance for your advise.

1stDeuce

Explorer
Forklift? Two tractors with buckets...
Does it have brackets for the two bolt jacks, usually three? If so, borrow some. Or see if you can borrow a cable lift setup. Without fairly serious equipment, I think you're going to have a tough time... Are you mounting it to a trailer, or planning to leave it in your truck forever? If not, you'll need some jacks anyway, right?
Good luck!
Chris

MNtraveler

Observer
My rental center had a set of the cable jacks (but used straps instead). Very heavy duty. The guys didn't know they had them. Cost was $25.00 for 1/2 day. Might be an option for you for the short term.

deejaygee

Drive both vehicles to an RV shop (e.g. Camper World) where someone in the camper business can do the switcheroo. Would be a good opportunity to get your rig set up for the camper (tiedowns, suspension, battery hookup, etc).

or

Like someone else mentioned, cable jacks are portable and work well. It's what I use. I found mine on our local craigslist.

or

When I bought my camper, the seller had a two-post car lift set up in his driveway that worked pretty well. In and out in 30 minutes.

Last edited:

rotti

Adventurer
My rental center had a set of the cable jacks (but used straps instead). Very heavy duty. The guys didn't know they had them. Cost was $25.00 for 1/2 day. Might be an option for you for the short term.

x2
Did the same for years.

Freebird

Adventurer
3 HEAVY duty long poles to form a tripod. Then rent a chain hoist? Or pulleys and cable wench? You'd need to cobble a harness of some sort to hold camper while being lifted.
Or
Brace camper up SOLID stable while pickup is jacked up, and then let down jacks so pickup can drive out from under?

If it is a onetime deal, it can be mickeymoused/jury rigged, but any more than that, convenience is worth a permanent solution.

I own camper jacks, but use my cousins 5t bridge crane since it is so stable and easy to use with my cobbled spreader bars as a harness. :) ....everyone needs a cousin with one of those!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne