How to ID F150 max payload package?

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
It is 31 ft long but only 6400lbs dry. My biggest issue in the beginning was controlling sway, with the short wheelbase truck and the long wind sail of a trailer behind us.

A good hitch really helped, but I will probably still spring for a Hensley this year.

Longer wheelbase, more cargo, 36gal tank, 3.73 gears and increased payload would all be really nice to have. I think I will keep my eye open on trading up for the HDPP when I find the right deal. ?
Yep, I'm feeling tempted to see what they can do on a factory order when Ford comes out with employee pricing later this year.

Really I just want more payload so I can look at carrying an aluminum fishing boat on a rack when we head out.

I'm thinking the low end power of the 3.5 might make towing easier than with my current 5.0 as well.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Tough cause you used to be able to get in in a 501A Lariat as well XLT. They do come with HDPP specific wheels.

But, that only helps if they still have the factory wheels. Best way I would suggest is a copy of the window sticker or build sheet.

Pretty sure HDPP only had 3:73 axle ratio. 3:55 will be just Max Tow.

'15-'20 HDPP with Max Tow were all 3.5 EcoBoost where as of the 2021 model year, I believe they can be 3.5 EcoBoost or 5.0L V8

Pic below of HDPP specific wheels.

View attachment 637293
Aren't these just your basic XLT wheels?

TFin04

Adventurer
Yep, I'm feeling tempted to see what they can do on a factory order when Ford comes out with employee pricing later this year.

Really I just want more payload so I can look at carrying an aluminum fishing boat on a rack when we head out.

I'm thinking the low end power of the 3.5 might make towing easier than with my current 5.0 as well.
The 3.5 is impressive on paper and I know is probably a better engine for what I am doing, but I am just leery about the extra complexity and cost of repairs. My friends have not had good luck with the Gen1 Ecoboost and I don't know enough about the new ones to spend money on them yet.

I come from Subaru, Nissan Xterra, and a laundry list of Toyota vehicles that have only ever needed tires and brakes. I've been burned by Ford in the past and this V8/6 speed has won me back over but it's also the simplest drivetrain they offer. I will probably stick with the 5.0, we are in Michigan where roads are flat and will probably only ever drag the camper to the hills of Kentucky and nothing much worse than that.

I'm impressed with the 3.5 performance and totally see the draw toward them, though.

RoyJ

Adventurer
To be fair, the HDPP is like a light 3/4ton, or 5/8 ton, like Titan XD. It's better than 20+ yr old 3/4 tons in every way except rear axle capacity (even old 3/4 tons had full floaters)

A triple axle toy hauler is still pushing its limit though.

wanabxtrm

Observer
Looking for a used 2015+ F150 crew cab with max payload package (HDPP I think is used).

Short of calling on every truck, are there easy ways for me to ID which truck has this and which doesn't? Tow mirrors, axle ratio, only available in certain trim, etc?

Looking forba decent way to rule out a ton of trucks on a saved Autotrader search or the like. Thanks!

Ive got mine up for sale…

that said as others have noted; wheels can give a clue; the payload sticker and frame sticker can confirm (though you’d need to ask for those usually.). Bed length is another discriminator as is axle ratio.

D45

Explorer
I had a 2012 F150 Super Crew:

HDPP and Max Tow

6.5 bed

20" wheels, factory

3.73s, factory

3.5L Eco

doug720

Expedition Leader
Nope. They're different. Similar though. basic XLT wheels are 17's. Those are 18's.

Basic XLT wheels:

View attachment 637643

HDPP Wheels:

View attachment 637644

That trailer may also be illegal load to tow with any 1/2 ton PU.

Why? Many LE agency's, and insurance companies, look at the GVW rating of the trailer to determine the load, not the actual weight of the trailer. Most trailer manufacturers only add a third axle if they really need one, not for any other reason. Third axles are a dead giveaway to cops if they want to stop you.

3 axle trailers GVW + truck GVW = GCVW Even if your actual load is under, driver can get a ticket, be made to stop using vehicle on spot, and be required have trailer towed by a properly rated vehicle. Plus liability comes into question.

Plus attention needs to be paid to hitch type ratings. They vary in many regards - ball size, rise/drop, receiver size, etc.

Here is a good article regarding towing:

I have a F150, plus 3 other tow vehicles. The F150 is ok for some loads, but, IMHO, not very good when trailer is over 5000 pounds.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
That trailer may also be illegal load to tow with any 1/2 ton PU.

Why? Many LE agency's, and insurance companies, look at the GVW rating of the trailer to determine the load, not the actual weight of the trailer. Most trailer manufacturers only add a third axle if they really need one, not for any other reason. Third axles are a dead giveaway to cops if they want to stop you.

3 axle trailers GVW + truck GVW = GCVW Even if your actual load is under, driver can get a ticket, be made to stop using vehicle on spot, and be required have trailer towed by a properly rated vehicle. Plus liability comes into question.

Plus attention needs to be paid to hitch type ratings. They vary in many regards - ball size, rise/drop, receiver size, etc.

Here is a good article regarding towing:

I have a F150, plus 3 other tow vehicles. The F150 is ok for some loads, but, IMHO, not very good when trailer is over 5000 pounds.
Could be. I just used that pic to reference the wheels.

My F150 is a 2015 model with a 5.0L V8, 3:73 axle ratio and factory trailer brake. My trailer is 23' hitch to bumper and loaded is around the 5,000 lbs mark give or take a 100 lbs (3,900 lbs dry)

The truck does okay but I feel it revs high. I'm going to adjust my weight distributing hitch this spring to see if it makes a difference.

I do think that an EcoBoost with a 10 speed would do better.

Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Don't forget to include the trucks payload in calculations.

This article describes many towing vehicles, terms and calculations - https://www.consumerreports.org/pickup-trucks/how-much-truck-do-you-need-to-tow-that-trailer/

One does not want to get caught outside the limits...
Yup. My payload is 1,800 lbs. Figure tongue weight is 500 lbs. By the time truck is loaded I'm within my limit. Payload is the other reason a HDPP is on my watchlist in the event we want to bring more stuff.

(My tow rating is 10,900 lbs)

D

Deleted member 9101

What year F150? Ive had 10K behind a 2013 and 7k behind my 2017 with zero issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles