How to ID F150 max payload package?

TFin04

Adventurer
Looking for a used 2015+ F150 crew cab with max payload package (HDPP I think is used).

Short of calling on every truck, are there easy ways for me to ID which truck has this and which doesn't? Tow mirrors, axle ratio, only available in certain trim, etc?

Looking forba decent way to rule out a ton of trucks on a saved Autotrader search or the like. Thanks!

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Tough cause you used to be able to get in in a 501A Lariat as well XLT. They do come with HDPP specific wheels.

But, that only helps if they still have the factory wheels. Best way I would suggest is a copy of the window sticker or build sheet.

Pretty sure HDPP only had 3:73 axle ratio. 3:55 will be just Max Tow.

'15-'20 HDPP with Max Tow were all 3.5 EcoBoost where as of the 2021 model year, I believe they can be 3.5 EcoBoost or 5.0L V8

Pic below of HDPP specific wheels.

gandalf_at_home2_22d3150cedef7f9ceb880914d7d49b2ee2d15521.jpg

Last edited:

McCarthy

Is it riding season yet?
^ Correct, Wheels are the only way to see from pictures it it's a HDPP. To help narrow it down, it's only available in a 300A, 301A XLT, and if it has a sport package (painted bumpers and grill) it is NOT an HDPP. They only made a couple hundred Lariat HDPP's, so there's a 99.9% chance it isn't one if it's a lariat. Oh, and 6.5' box crew cab, 8' box supercab, or 8' box regular cab is the only box/can config. If it's a supercab 6.5' box for example, it can't be a HDPP.

D

Deleted member 9101

HDPP is only available with the 5.0.

HDPP and Max Tow together are only available with the 3.5.

TFin04

Adventurer
That gets me quite a ways, thanks gents. I understand the HDPP came with both 17 and 18" wheels, do they have the same pattern as above?

I drive a short box crew cab V8 Sport right now and love the truck, but our new camper is close to pushing me into a Super Duty and I am trying to see if I can make a HDPP work as it will be a much better truck for my needs the 90% of the time I drive it unloaded.

Thanks!

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
That gets me quite a ways, thanks gents. I understand the HDPP came with both 17 and 18" wheels, do they have the same pattern as above?

I drive a short box crew cab V8 Sport right now and love the truck, but our new camper is close to pushing me into a Super Duty and I am trying to see if I can make a HDPP work as it will be a much better truck for my needs the 90% of the time I drive it unloaded.

Thanks!
Did you already buy the camper or are you buying the camper to work with the trucks payload?

Assuming you are talking about a slide in camper.....

TFin04

Adventurer
Did you already buy the camper or are you buying the camper to work with the trucks payload?

Assuming you are talking about a slide in camper.....
It is a travel trailer, not slide in. We already own it and we are under all of our door sticker ratings.....barely. It tows well but I would like the longer wheelbase for the bigger bed and the 36gal tank, so we have been considering buying another F150. If I do that, I want to be sure it's best suited for towing what we have.

Camper is about 1k hitch weight, fiberglass topper, two adults and two kids, gear, firewood, etc. Current truck is rated at 1900lbs payload and we come pretty close to that.

I have D load BFG's, Bilstein 5100's and 1k sumosprings. Probably gonna bite the bullet on a Hensley Hitch this year as well and the weight of that system will bring me to the max. I think this truck is pretty well set up for the task but bed length and tank capacity alone has me looking at another one, just trying to make it HDPP. I have a 3.31 axle in this truck too and would welcome the 3.73.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
It is a travel trailer, not slide in. We already own it and we are under all of our door sticker ratings.....barely. It tows well but I would like the longer wheelbase for the bigger bed and the 36gal tank, so we have been considering buying another F150. If I do that, I want to be sure it's best suited for towing what we have.

Camper is about 1k hitch weight, fiberglass topper, two adults and two kids, gear, firewood, etc. Current truck is rated at 1900lbs payload and we come pretty close to that.

I have D load BFG's, Bilstein 5100's and 1k sumosprings. Probably gonna bite the bullet on a Hensley Hitch this year as well and the weight of that system will bring me to the max. I think this truck is pretty well set up for the task but bed length and tank capacity alone has me looking at another one, just trying to make it HDPP. I have a 3.31 axle in this truck too and would welcome the 3.73.
Sounds similar to how we head out. Just add a dog.

IMG_0051.JPG

Think my hitch weight is 750. Payload is 1,800. Pretty sure I'm near payload loaded up as well.

Agree HDPP is a good alternative to a Super Duty as I only tow 10% of the time as well. Yes, the 36 gallon tank and 3:73'S are nice for towing.

Flip side, Super Duty is pretty much the same size as a HDPP Super Crew. Likely will cost similar.

McCarthy

Is it riding season yet?

HDPP is only available with the one wheel option, the 18" ones posted above.

TFin04

Adventurer
Thanks guys. I will look for 6.5ft bed length XLT's without painted bumpers and look for those wheels, that's a pretty efficient way to get a list started. Really appreciate your time.

Super happy with this truck and I think a HDPP would fit perfectly.

TFin04

Adventurer
Sounds similar to how we head out. Just add a dog.

View attachment 637365

Think my hitch weight is 750. Payload is 1,800. Pretty sure I'm near payload loaded up as well.

Agree HDPP is a good alternative to a Super Duty as I only tow 10% of the time as well. Yes, the 36 gallon tank and 3:73'S are nice for towing.

Flip side, Super Duty is pretty much the same size as a HDPP Super Crew. Likely will cost similar.

Attachments

• IMG_20201018_141135.jpg
    IMG_20201018_141135.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 27

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Looks like a nice set up! Your trailer looks a little longer than mine. But, more aerodynamic. So I wonder if your trailer would actually pull easier than mine. Can def relate to your desire to move up to a HDPP F150. I have the same train of thought.

Last edited:

TFin04

Adventurer
Looks like a nice set up! Your trailer looks a little longer than mine. But, I more aerodynamic. So I wonder if your trailer would actually pull easier than mine. Can def relate to your desire to move up to a HDPP F150. I have the same train of thought.
It is 31 ft long but only 6400lbs dry. My biggest issue in the beginning was controlling sway, with the short wheelbase truck and the long wind sail of a trailer behind us.

A good hitch really helped, but I will probably still spring for a Hensley this year.

Longer wheelbase, more cargo, 36gal tank, 3.73 gears and increased payload would all be really nice to have. I think I will keep my eye open on trading up for the HDPP when I find the right deal. ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94