HOW TO HOOK UP SOLAR POWER TO MY DUAL BATTERY SET UP

MOSDIF589

Axel Adventures
Did some searches but needed it spelled out for me as I'm not good with electricity.

I have a 2013 Jeep JKU with a GENESIS dual battery system that I have Optima Yellow top batteries installed. I run my ARB fridge and some small LED lights with it but in the summer time in high heat will run the battery down before my camping weekend is up.

What I want is a solar panel that I can install while parked to charge the auxiliary batteriy / batteries while parked. I've been told that I can get a panel and hook it up to the factory alternator cables so the power will run just like it is coming from the battery and let the dual battery system work as if the batteries are being charged by the alternator.

Does this sound possible?

How would you hook up the panels wiring to charge the battery / batteries?

veetee

Yes, thats possible, I guess the solar panel will come with a solar charge controller (regulator). Just connect the the controller output to the starter battery, then when the panel is charging the genisis system will sense the charging voltage and connect the two batteries in parallel, jus as if your alternator is charging.

Reefry

Observer
Solar panels typically operate at a higher voltage than what most batteries can handle and receive as a charge. For example my 100w solar panel operates at around 17 volts. To charge a typical 12v battery you need somewhere around 13-14 volts to charge safely. So wiring one straight into your alternator would most likely not work. But I wouldn't quote me on that, I believe anything is possible! So anyways thats where a solar charger comes in. The charger basically brings down the voltage of the panel to a level more desirable for the battery using a method called PWM (Pulse Wave Modulation) which in turn is just turning on and off really fast to keep it in the correct power band.

jonyjoe101

Adventurer
from looking at the Genesis setup, you hookup the plus and minus wiring from the solar charge controller to the start battery. How the smart charger on the Genesis system works, it charges the start battery first, then when it reaches full charge it connects both batteries together.

But it would be simpler to just hook up the solar panel to the aux battery. Genesis will let you jumpstart using the aux battery. Smaller panels are best for just charging one battery. If you got a large panel (200 watts or higher), that will easily keep 2 batteries topped off.

As far as solar charge controllers, a cheap wincong 10 amp pwm (about 15 dollars) is all that is needed for the low voltage panels under 30 volts ( about 120 watts or less size panels) , for the over 30 volt panels (200 watt or higher panels) , thats where mppt controllers come in handy to get more power ecoworthy 20 amp mppt (about 100 dollars) is a good example.

You get about 1 amp of charge current for every 20 watts of panel. From my own experience I got about 6 amps from a 21 volt 120 watt panel (using either pwm or mppt) , and can get about 12 amps from a 36 volt 240 watt panel (using mppt). With the 240 watt panel I can actually use pwm on it, but it only gives me 6 amps.

When I had my edgestar 12 volt fridge in my van, I was able to run it 24/7 with just a 120 watt panel and a 75ah agm battery. It all depends on how much room you got for your panel. I'm a firm believer is getting the largest panel you can fit in your vehicle, with solar power I learned there is no such thing as too much power.

MOSDIF589

Axel Adventures
Thanks for the replies, I guess I'll do some searching on solar power units and see what they come with and if I need that regulator...

spikemd

Explorer
As mentioned, you need a charge controller between the solar panels and the batteries. I also would recommend you charge the auxiliary battery only with your starting battery isolated. Some panels, like the Renology 100w suitcase that a few friends use, have a charge controller 'built-in' to the back of the panels so you just need to connect it to your aux battery for proper charging. Its an easy and portable solution.

Many solar panels use the MC4 adapter, so I would recommend you hook up some permanent connections to the battery and then you simply plug in the solar panels to the connectors when you are camping. Less hassle than opening up a battery box and connecting alligator clips that can come off or leaving your hood open all day. Anderson plugs are another option but you will probably need to modify them accordingly.

MOSDIF589

Axel Adventures
WoW..... Thanks to everyone for all the help and giving me some insight on solar power.

My Jeep is currently been in the shop stumping the techs & Mopar for that matter with a pesky check engine light. Once I get it back I'll measure to see what size panel will best fit my needs and space.

Once again thanks and I'll update once I find what fits my needs & budget.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles