How to fix broken yakima or thule box rack CHEAP!!

wingysataday

Adventurer
Want a Rocket box but don't have $500? I just picked up a Yakima rocket box on craigslist for $50 that was damaged in a parking garage. IT had some pieces missing and some pretty bad cracks and holes. I was able to repair it with the method in this video(this is not me). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-GfvGIOkBI
Supplies:
Fiberglass drywall tape
Locktite PL premium advanced adhesive.

I have just done what the guy in the video has done except I put some of the drywall tape on the outside as well due to the large holes on one side. I wish I took photos throughout the process but got a little to excited. I am not finished yet but will update when product is finished! I will be sanding it when it is hardened and flat black paint.
IMG_2437.jpgIMG_2438.jpgIMG_2439.jpgIMG_2433.jpgIMG_2434.jpgIMG_2435.jpgIMG_2436.jpg

wingysataday

Adventurer
This particular PL sanded very well. No balling up. I ended up running out of time to do a propper sanding job and just primered over the entire top of the box and the black is going on now. I'm very happy with the savings on the box. Most of them driving around town are all beat up anyways.

I have repaired plastic bins by stitching with string or fishing line and then epoxy over them. I like that 6000 glue. Remeber to stop drill cracks to keep them from spreading.

Good on you for taking the time to repair it. You saved a bunch, just takes a little time and effort.

wingysataday

Adventurer
exactly. My buddy just purchased a big rocket box for $450 at REI. It is really nice but fixing this baby was pretty dang easy. It's as good as new and probably stronger than before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles