How to carry more fuel?

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
calamaridog said:
http://www.aerotanks.com/index.html

Have any of you 80 series fellows ever talked to these guys about building a larger replacement tank?

Sounds like Hoser had the same problem as me.

These guys are right down the hill from my house. I know one person running their XJ tank. I don't know how well they like it. I never had a chance to discuss it.

I recently called them about doing a custom tank for my 80 since they don't offer a direct built in. They seemed like they didn't care one bit. They were a PITA on the phone and didn't even offer any information about what they could do for me. It seemed like i was creating a invconvience to them!>?!??! It totally irritated the crap out of me and i hung up with them. I felt like saying "im trying to drop my rig off and give you guys money and this is the way you treat your customers?" Maybe the chick was having a bad day or something? I don't know. They also said i needed to bring my rig down there between some specific hours that i couldn't do either.

I'll pass on them and give some money to people that actually have customer service still.

hoser

Explorer
Boston Mangler said:
How do you figure its easier to find then going to a local Toyota dealer with the part #(83320-69215)?

Do you know who makes it? Can you get it local? Whats the Part #? Didnt think so! :D

I think impossible is a better term! :D
The LRA tank uses a standard 0-90 ohm fuel sender. Since auto parts stores outnumber Toyota dealers 100 to 1, I feel it would be fairly easy to find. They're made by VDO, JAZ, Autometer and a dozen other brands. Just cut/adjust to length and install. If need be, you can also get them anywhere they sell GM parts. Definitely not an oddball part.

As for your pictorial comparison of aux tanks, let me add... though it's called the 34 Gallon LRA tank, it is actualy 34 Imperial gallons or 160L or 42 US Gallons. So it has about the same capacity as the 44 Gallon LR tank. I've attached a pic of the 24 Gallon LRA tank in a 100. You can see it's not just a box but rather it is contoured up and over the exhaust can to use much of the available space.

Brian894x4 said:
I appreciate all the comments. There's a lot to think about there.
Boston and I are just nit-picking. Just choose the size you want and I think you'll be happy with either LR, LRA or OEM tank.

SOCALFJ said:
I recently called them about doing a custom tank for my 80 since they don't offer a direct built in. They seemed like they didn't care one bit.
Yes, I also read bad reports about their customer service, missing parts in the shipment and problems with their installs.

Last edited:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
hoser said:
The LRA tank uses a standard 0-90 ohm fuel sender. Since auto parts stores outnumber Toyota dealers 100 to 1, I feel it would be fairly easy to find. They're made by VDO, JAZ, Autometer and a dozen other brands. Just cut/adjust to length and install. If need be, you can also get them anywhere they sell GM parts. You're saying it's an oddball sending unit which simply isn't true.

Not motivated enought to argue this point.

hoser said:
As for your pictorial comparison of aux tanks, let me add though it's called the 34 Gallon LRA tank, it is actualy 34 Imperial gallons or 160L or 42 US Gallons.

Are you sure on that? If so, i own up and admit i am wrong.

I will also state that it is 100% completely retarded for that to be advertised on a US site in imperial units of measure!

hoser said:
I've attached a pic of the 24 Gallon LRA tank in a 100. You can see it's not just a box but rather it is contoured up and over the exhaust can to use much of the available space.

That is nice!

hoser said:
Boston and I are just nit-picking. Just choose the size you want and I think you'll be happy with either LR, LRA or OEM tank.

I concur! :beer:

hoser

Explorer
Yeah, I'm certain it's a 160L aux replacement tank as listed on their website. It's likely they sell this tank in the UK too where they might use imperial units. Probably just an understandable oversight by a US vendor and so it became known as the 34 gallon tank.

Anyway, I do like the OEM set-up and one of these days, I might convert mine to run as a changeover system (as opposed to the transfer pump) and incorporate the OEM fuel gauge/switch. :beer:

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
I thought it was 24 US gallons. For advertising purposes i hope.. since they're selling it in the US! But you never know.

Brian894x4

Explorer
To be honest, with what little I know, the 24 gallon really does sound like a better fit for me, assuming Steve was correct and everything came with the kit, including the duel neck filler. Considering that part alone is worth half the price of the entire kit.

Not taking sides or anything, just comparing basic specs. I really have no need for more than 25 extra gallons, but my stock tank isn't going to be enough for some of our more remote trips. Especially if any of those southeastern Oregon outposts close down like have in the past.

At this point, I'm holding off on anything, as I don't have a place to relocate the spare. So far, I've mounted three 2.5 gallon jerry cans in the back and this will probably have to do for now. I'll post pictures later.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Brian894x4 said:
At this point, I'm holding off on anything, as I don't have a place to relocate the spare. .

One tidbit of advice, regardless of what brand you go with: These things dont come around all that often, if you find a "kit" with all of the parts, you might want to jump on it even if you are installing it down the road.

Thats my .02

Brian894x4

Explorer
I agree. That's why I was going to plop down the cash for MAF's 24 gallon unit, even though I probably wasn't going to install it right away.

If something comes up, I'm definately going to consider it very seriously.

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
hoser said:
As for your pictorial comparison of aux tanks, let me add... though it's called the 34 Gallon LRA tank, it is actualy 34 Imperial gallons or 160L or 42 US Gallons. So it has about the same capacity as the 44 Gallon LR tank. I've attached a pic of the 24 Gallon LRA tank in a 100. You can see it's not just a box but rather it is contoured up and over the exhaust can to use much of the available space.

That's really nice to know, and the kit deal is a big +. It's looking very appealing.

Diesel Joe

Observer
Here is a picture of the Opposite Locke 50 gallon tank in my HZJ60. There is also a 17 gallon aux tank Ive been thinking about getting. My rear bumper carries two 5 gallon jeep cans as well.

The only time youve got to much fuel on boad is when youre on FIRE baby!

picture.JPG

slick621

FWIW, I emailed motorcare.com.au about pricing for the LRA 44 gallon unit (160 liter) tank. The shipped total (to Columbia, SC) came to AU$1719 (approximately US$1410), which included everything needed to install the unit (such as 'Y' filler, pump, switch, LED gauge). Just thought I would throw that out there for those considering this mod.

Travis

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online