How to build an 80 on a budget

Sempertoy

Explorer
Yup, that's me, lol, getting the 80 regeared, should have back this week to test.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Hey mark, would you mind sharing some details about your gear set up? Brand, shop for install and cost for each? I'm very seriously considering this now with these big tires. I don't want to stress the R&P too much.

kletzenklueffer

Adventurer
If you don't have a trustworthy local shop, and can afford for the truck to be down, I'd contact ZUK www.gearinstalls.com

As far as solid spacers go- the pinion position is determined by a spacer. Normally, it's a crush sleeve that collapses when the pinion nut is tightened. The spacing determines the interface of the pinion gear to the ring gear (simple version). Zuk's site can explain in much more detail what the relation is. The issue with a crush sleeve is once the crush has occurred, any further tightening of the pinion nut, such as removing the nut to replace a leaking rear pinion seal, crushes the sleeve further and changes the preload on the pinion bearings, the backlash between the gears, and the gear pattern between the two gears. Also, it's said that impacts to the rear end can jar the crush sleeve causing gradual loosening.

The solid spacer is machined to a particular overall length, just shy of the needed length which varies between gear ratios, manufacturers and gear sets. The additional space is taken up by shims so that when the gears are set up, there is nothing to give. It makes for as rigid a set up of the pinion position as possible. Set up takes a bit longer, but it's stronger, and if the pinion nut is removed and replaced, there is almost no movement of the pinion, regardless of torque applied.

check out zuk's site in detail (you could spend an hour reading the different set ups he's done and he give a lot of info about the solid spacers there).

As far as gear makers,Yukon is what I used and were highly recommended. Nitro has a following as well. Again, Zuk can tell you what to stay away from. Since it's a one time thing you'll expect to use daily for the next few decades, don't skimp on low quality.

when I priced gear installs, I was given a price of around $1800 parts and labor by a local TLC shop. I found a 4x4 shop that said they'd do it for $500 plus parts, which amounts to $1300 total. I ended up spending another $750 fixing the damage they did. Long story but they didn't tighten anything up right and their work ruined my spindles, and I ended up having to replace pinion bearings and add more spacers to my solid spacers. I learned how to set up diffs, so it was an expensive lesson, but not without learning.

hot links
http://www.justdifferentials.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=385&products_id=3662
I think the link below is right. If you go with solids, check before ordering. They don't list as for the 80, but
http://www.metaltech4x4.com/p-181-toyota-8-v6-high-pinion-e-locker-solid-pinion-spacer-hilux.aspx

From Zuk, showing a solid spacer vs. crush sleeve
http://gearinstalls.com/eric.htm

http://gearinstalls.com/

Last edited:

mattafact

Adventurer
IPOR probably has the best deal going on gear kits. I had Yotamasters install mine and they came out perfect. Very reasonably priced. 5.29s with 37s is a great combo. If you can pull the 3rd members yourself you'll save a few hundred bucks too.

Sempertoy

Explorer
If you don't have a trustworthy local shop, and can afford for the truck to be down, I'd contact ZUK www.gearinstalls.com

As far as solid spacers go- the pinion position is determined by a spacer. Normally, it's a crush sleeve that collapses when the pinion nut is tightened. The spacing determines the interface of the pinion gear to the ring gear (simple version). Zuk's site can explain in much more detail what the relation is. The issue with a crush sleeve is once the crush has occurred, any further tightening of the pinion nut, such as removing the nut to replace a leaking rear pinion seal, crushes the sleeve further and changes the preload on the pinion bearings, the backlash between the gears, and the gear pattern between the two gears. Also, it's said that impacts to the rear end can jar the crush sleeve causing gradual loosening.

The solid spacer is machined to a particular overall length, just shy of the needed length which varies between gear ratios, manufacturers and gear sets. The additional space is taken up by shims so that when the gears are set up, there is nothing to give. It makes for as rigid a set up of the pinion position as possible. Set up takes a bit longer, but it's stronger, and if the pinion nut is removed and replaced, there is almost no movement of the pinion, regardless of torque applied.

check out zuk's site in detail (you could spend an hour reading the different set ups he's done and he give a lot of info about the solid spacers there).

As far as gear makers,Yukon is what I used and were highly recommended. Nitro has a following as well. Again, Zuk can tell you what to stay away from. Since it's a one time thing you'll expect to use daily for the next few decades, don't skimp on low quality.

when I priced gear installs, I was given a price of around $1800 parts and labor by a local TLC shop. I found a 4x4 shop that said they'd do it for $500 plus parts, which amounts to $1300 total. I ended up spending another $750 fixing the damage they did. Long story but they didn't tighten anything up right and their work ruined my spindles, and I ended up having to replace pinion bearings and add more spacers to my solid spacers. I learned how to set up diffs, so it was an expensive lesson, but not without learning.

hot links
http://www.justdifferentials.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=385&products_id=3662
I think the link below is right. If you go with solids, check before ordering. They don't list as for the 80, but
http://www.metaltech4x4.com/p-181-toyota-8-v6-high-pinion-e-locker-solid-pinion-spacer-hilux.aspx

From Zuk, showing a solid spacer vs. crush sleeve
http://gearinstalls.com/eric.htm

http://gearinstalls.com/

Awesome info! Thanks for posting this, lots of good reading for sure!

amaesing

Got nitro 4.88 gears and had a local buddy install them, he did the front n rears as well as rebuilt the knuckles since everything was off. I'm running 35's at the moment, the gears for me work well going uphill, that's the most depressing thing. I was going turtle mode while everyone passed me up, but now I can hang without having to floor it.

Good luck on your build up, I'll some day do a build write up, been doing that with my FJ in the past on the SoCal forums.

Hey mark, would you mind sharing some details about your gear set up? Brand, shop for install and cost for each? I'm very seriously considering this now with these big tires. I don't want to stress the R&P too much.

Sempertoy

Explorer
Got nitro 4.88 gears and had a local buddy install them, he did the front n rears as well as rebuilt the knuckles since everything was off. I'm running 35's at the moment, the gears for me work well going uphill, that's the most depressing thing. I was going turtle mode while everyone passed me up, but now I can hang without having to floor it.

Good luck on your build up, I'll some day do a build write up, been doing that with my FJ in the past on the SoCal forums.

Was it TJ? He seems to be infamous, I heard his name from Bruno and nick a couple times.

Sempertoy

Explorer
Well guys and gals, I hate to dissapoint, but I think that the "budget" part of this build is about to go out the window.

I have officially spent all the money I had from the sale of my truck, and then some. I would say im somewhere around $5-600 in the red. And all things considered, that really isnt that bad at all.

BUT, the next step is a big one.

GEARS....

After all the parts and labor is figured, and this includes a front axle rebuild (most likely needed) I will be spending $2,800. What do I get for that price?

Front axle rebuild with a Marlin Crawler rebuild kit/eco seals.
Front 5.29 ring and pinion from Nitro
Nitro master install kit, with solid spacers and no crush sleeves (debatable topic)
Rear axle refresh. Gaskets/seals
Rear 5.29 Ring and pinion
Rear master install kit, with solid spacers
Rear Aussie/Spartan locker. (shop is installing for free since they will be in there)

$2,800 dollars is over 60% of what I paid for my vehicle. I know I shouldnt look at it that way, since they are aftermarket parts but I cant help it.

At this point I think I may just install the locker and suffer with my big tires and stock gears. Maybe I will appreciate that upgrade much more after driving it this way for a year or so...

BUT! That brings me to another point. I will soon be leaving California and Headed to San Antonio. I have been in contact with a couple cruiser heads down there and there isnt much as far as "cruiser shops" go. So I dont know who I would trust to do the install...

Someone talk some sense in to me.

Also looking for loanshark referrals.

Jon

amaesing

Was it TJ? He seems to be infamous, I heard his name from Bruno and nick a couple times.

Yup, TJ is the man! Haha, gears running solid so far....

Wow, you went all out! Budgeting always breaks the bank no matter how much you try to hold back. In the end, you'll enjoy your rig that much more! Cheers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior