how to best protect 6 gauge 30 Adc power and ground under truck

ramblinChet

I am interested in hearing suggestions and maybe even seeing some pictures of how to best protect a 6 gauge 30 Adc power and ground that will be running from the engine compartment, under the truck and coming up into the bed. If you have material suggestions and/or pictures I would love to hear all about them. Thanks in advance!

The wire I am running is Ancor 6 gauge tinned battery cable.

169453-49719.jpg

highwest

I am also interested in this.

I’ve used only split wire loom in the past when I didn’t care as much (trailer brake wires).

I’ve also used split wire loom wrapped in high temp fabric tape for an OEM look in the engine bay.

Not sure on the “right way” though…

Toyaddict

I used plastic hydraulic hose wrap for the wiring under my van. There are also different grades of split loom, most of the stuff I found is likely to wear faster than the wire insulation itself.

Pre-Cut Spiral Wrap Hose Protector, 1.25" OD, 20' Length, Black

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Split looms or braided looms work well, but I’ve always used heater hose when I’m routing heavy gauge stuff. One of the keys to protection is securing the wire against chafing. Lots of OEM style loom brackets are available, but I tend to go for the “truck made of zip ties” look. Cheap, replaceable, and a little bit fun!

I have considered, but never tried, EMT conduit as well.

VanWaLife

I've had luck using the grey liquidtight conduit from home depot in the car and the boat, along with plastic junction boxes from home depot for terminations, mounting accessories, etc. Only thing I've found to watch out for are the little metal rings used to mount fittings in boxes. These are not vibration proof, so you gotta use two or find a more substantial nut that fits.
IMG_2113.JPG

Buddha.

None of this matters
I've had luck using the grey liquidtight conduit from home depot in the car and the boat, along with plastic junction boxes from home depot for terminations, mounting accessories, etc. Only thing I've found to watch out for are the little metal rings used to mount fittings in boxes. These are not vibration proof, so you gotta use two or find a more substantial nut that fits.
View attachment 668890
That’s the stuff I was trying to describe.

llamalander

I've run lots of wires and air-lines under my truck in traditional Flexible Metal Conduit, which is essentially the gray Liquidtight flexible conduit pictured above without the waterproof gray covering.
You can buy it in Al or steel and screw-in fittings for the end will protect wires from the sharp cut ends.
The advantage over Liquidtight is the heat resistance (crossing over the exhaust), a bigger variety of fittings & clamps, greater flexibility and cost.
It is not waterproof, which I prefer. The wire insulation is, and the conduit can drain if it gets immersed.
4+ years under the truck and I haven't had any problems with my 2/0 cable.
IMG_2608.jpgIMG_2609.jpg

OllieChristopher

Buying from Ebay, Amazon, etc. is primarily resellers packaging the cheapest no-name crap possible directed toward people who have no clue.
As far as the OP, I suggest splitloom. Obviously routed and secured to best avoid damage.
It is a simple matter of just checking the temperature specs and manufacturer. I personally use the Electriduct brand. I have been using it for many years and it is very difficult to copy or counterfeit. It is identified by the blue stripe. It is the most fire retardant loom I have been able to find.

This is what I suggest for the OP's wire protection. I use it in my truck and it works fine. I simply run the pre loomed wires along the inside of frame rail and be mindful of the exhaust. Use lots of zip ties!! Manufacturers have been doing this for years and trucks are still on the road with same loom. Since you are using tinned marine wire anything else is too much overkill.

7ABDF77D-F466-4068-9F58-C0B9D620DE10_1_201_a.jpeg

Superduty

Adventurer
C'mon, are you guys serious . . . EMT and Aluminum Flex and Liquidtite on your trucks to protect your wires? I laughed hard when I saw that flex mounted up underneath the vehicle above.

As mentioned already use quality split loom, route it correctly and secure it with wire ties. Check on it every so often to make sure it is still secure. Follow those simple rules and the wires will last as long as you own the vehicle. ALL OEMs use split loom or wrap in harness tape (Tesa 51036), none install aluminum flex or other nonsense under or in vehicles.

D

Deleted member 9101

C'mon, are you guys serious . . . EMT and Aluminum Flex and Liquidtite on your trucks to protect your wires? I laughed hard when I saw that flex mounted up underneath the vehicle above.

As mentioned already use quality split loom, route it correctly and secure it with wire ties. Check on it every so often to make sure it is still secure. Follow those simple rules and the wires will last as long as you own the vehicle. ALL OEMs use split loom or wrap in harness tape (Tesa 51036), none install aluminum flex or other nonsense under or in vehicles.

I got a good giggle too! It's like they are prepping to drive over and IED...haha.

I've always used a split loom wrapped in electrical tape, tucked inside or on top of the frame. I've done countless custom car audio and emergency light installs and never once had a problem.

OllieChristopher

Hi Chet, You should be very happy with that split loom. Also kind along the same line of your project is to use quality zip ties that last. I use the Thomas and Betts brand zip ties with the stainless inserts. They are a bit pricy but last a long time and don't come loose like the cheap ones at home depot, harbor freight, etc.

BTW guys does my link from amazon show up on the forum thread? I don't ever get the links to products.

I got a good giggle too! It's like they are prepping to drive over and IED...haha.
I kind of shook my head as well. OTOH we don't know the back story of what these guys are doing with their rigs. It's great to have choices and see what others are using.