How to address condensation issues in a FWC/similar pop up?

jigandren

Hey team, took my new FWC for its first expedition & had some massive condensation issues. Tbf we created a perfect storm of 5degC nighttime temps + closed camper during the day so no drying time + cooking indoors + heater not working.

We used the winter liner, tried airing out as much as poss, wiping down etc but couldn't keep on top.

Any tips (apart from avoiding the above scenario?) what about moisture absorbers?

Cheers
James

Attachments

• IMG-20191030-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20191030-WA0006.jpg
    472.4 KB · Views: 147

TantoTrailers

Such a sick rig you have there!! I battle the same thing. Only way I have found so far is by keeping a window open and my exhaust fan running which results in near outside temps inside. Fine inside the sleeping bag but as soon as I step out I'm frozen.

My thread on the same issue for some input:

Trikebubble

Adventurer
I keep a turnbuckle door cracked open along with a rooftop vent cracked open. It seems to keep airflow moving a bit better, and does cut down on condensation a bit. We are 2 hoomans, and 2 dogs, so we do seem to create some condensation at times. Aside from that, we wipe down the pop up material when it's needed and don't worry to much about it otherwise.

sg1

Adventurer
I had the same issues with a FWC. Sold it and got an insulated pop up camper . No issues any more. I have an Overlandex (CampX)

Stan@FourWheel

Explorer
Trycracking one of the turn buckle port hole covers, and crack the roof vent. Made a BIG difference for us this year camping in the rain forest of Washington. The first night we forgot and closed up the entire camper (no venting). Really wet inside from condensation in the morning. The next night we cracked a port hole and the roof vent, and moisture was 90% less in the morning. With weather, inside&outside temperature difference, and breathing all night, the moisture in the air needs somewhere to go. Heat rises and make for natural convection, with a lower vent and an upper vent cracked open.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
As others said: it’s physics. Ventilation and dry heat like from a diesel furnace will certainly help. We sold our roof top tent because of that issue.

I modded my fan to move at barely-moving-speed. A small crack of a window or turn buckle cover and the fan on extremely-low speed keeps things pretty dry. In extremely-humid climates, like the PNW in winter, I will run the heater occasionally at night, but the low-speed roof vent fan really does an excellent job.

Roger M.

Adventurer
Throw out the sleeping bags, use a lightweight blanket and sheet, leave your furnace on all night.
When combined with cracking a roof vent and a turnbuckle hatch it's really the only solution that works in cool to cold weather.

Anything that has excessive thermal bridging (all uninsulated canvas pop tops) will cause substantial condensation issues in the absence of constant dry heat combined with vertical ventilation.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
It is hard to overstate just how much moisture the cooking can create, all by itself. The raw propane flame is a contributor but the food itself gives up a lot of moisture, even for "dry" dishes. If you're boiling water, forget it, you just built a sauna. Running a vent or opening a door wide during these times is super important.

Exhaled moisture through the night is its own issue, and does need to be mitigated, but if you're starting the night with a camper loaded up with moist air, you've already lost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94