How to add 12V outlets to my RV?

Photobug

My RV has a pretty nice group of systems but the DC wiring and outlets are lacking. I am trying to add some outlets from the coach battery. The DC panel has two empty fuses with corresponding wires coming out the back ending with female bullet connectors. I am visiting a big city this week so hopefully can source some yellow male bullet connectors to tie this into a 12 gauge wire.

My plan was to use this to tie into two distribution blocks. to power two outlets nearby a dual USB outlet with voltage gauge and one cigarette outlet. I was thinking of using this block for distribution. Just looking for input.Screen Shot 2021-08-04 at 11.21.03 PM.png

Other images of the power panel and the area I plan on installing the distribution bar.20210803_124754.jpg20210803_124758.jpg20210803_124804.jpg20210803_124835.jpg

Photobug

Those bussbars will work fine albeit serious overkill for adding a few devices.

Thanks agree but not sure how to get just a few outlets. This is cheaper and gives me fuses for each run. I might add a 3rd outlet as well.

Reactions: plh

skyfree

You have 2 existing fused circuits there with wiring ready to go. Why not just put the cigarette outlet on the 15A and the USB on the 10A? No need for a busbar or extra fuse block unless you intend to add more later.

I have that same fuse block and it's OK, but if you intend to add more things then you will be better with a dedicated run from the battery rather than running from that 15A circuit. I have an inline 20A fuse from the battery to the fuse block (as close as possible to the battery). Then fuses in the fuse block sized to the wire gauge and expected load that is on the downstream run from the block.

I would think you could start with the 2 circuits you need connected to the existing fused wires and add a fuse block and dedicated run to the battery later if you need more. At that point you would mount the fuse block next to the existing one so you don't have to do much to switch your 2 new circuits to the new fuse block.

john61ct

Adventurer
Standard ciggie sockets are IMO a dangerous abortion, avoid like the plague for anything important, or that you use regularly. Never more than 5-6A and only for short periods, as in a few minutes. Even then they are risky, an inherently poor design!

Blue Sea has a nice socket design that twist-locks with the matching plug, but will also accept standard ciggie plugs for smaller (
Also the BMW/ Hella/ Merit/ Powerlet "Euro-style DIN" (ISO 4165) style is very robust.

Anderson plugs for high amps, for me my standard, for almost all power connections.

If you standardize on one of the last two types, there are adapters for guests, temporary use of devices with standard ciggie plugs.

Photobug

If you standardize on one of the last two types, there are adapters for guests, temporary use of devices with standard ciggie plugs.

I will be installing a Blue Sky ciggie plug in this local. I have a fan that has a ciggie plug on it. I also have a USB plug that fits into a ciggie outlet. Except for the 12v fan both of these outlets will be used primarily to charge USB devices away from the front of the RV.

have a fan that has a cigarette plug as well as USB adapter on it.
You have 2 existing fused circuits there with wiring ready to go. Why not just put the cigarette outlet on the 15A and the USB on the 10A? No need for a busbar or extra fuse block unless you intend to add more later.

I have that same fuse block and it's OK, but if you intend to add more things then you will be better with a dedicated run from the battery rather than running from that 15A circuit. I have an inline 20A fuse from the battery to the fuse block (as close as possible to the battery). Then fuses in the fuse block sized to the wire gauge and expected load that is on the downstream run from the block.

I would think you could start with the 2 circuits you need connected to the existing fused wires and add a fuse block and dedicated run to the battery later if you need more. At that point you would mount the fuse block next to the existing one so you don't have to do much to switch your 2 new circuits to the new fuse block.

I have two battery systems in the RV besides the startre battery. The previous owner added solar and instead of tapping it into the existing battery bank he added 4 golfcart batteries to a separate system. I want to put the additional 12v outlets on a separate buss bar to be able to potentially put a 1-2-off switch somewhere down the road to be able to switch this source to either the coach battery bank or the solar battery bank.

This RV is totally self contained these outlets will only be used to charge small appliances away from the drivers seat. I don't see ever needing a large fuse or separate circuit. I might also add a 3rd or 4th 12v outlet in a different locations, just to have alternative charging stations.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz