How often do folks get flat tires (or need to use a winch)?

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I’ve been wheelin’ and generally driving off road for 26 or so years. I’ve had 4 off-road flats. Two in one day as a high school student with bald crap tires and a heavy foot when I ran over a broken tree and punctured both fronts with branch fragments, one when I drove (fell?) through the surface of a frozen pond (lake?) and the ice cut off the valve stem, and one that started on-road, but ended off-road when I convinced myself that winter rally driving a full size blazer had some pitfalls. That was an impact issue... go figure.
Once I could afford and bought good tires, my problems largely went away.
On-road, I’ve probably had 15 flats, but that includes my wife’s cars... which are responsible for about 10 of those. She seems to like driving in freeway gore points, doesn’t realize that is where all the debris gets tossed to.

I’ve only owned a winch for a few years. Used to self-rescue once. Wanted for self rescue at least 12 times in the past, been winched by others a few, and made a lot of use of a hi-lift.

If I was choosing what to get with a limited space, time, money budget, I would choose good tires over a winch, I might not buy a matching spare every time.

Leave your spare behind for your next trip and see how it makes you feel? I bet you are much more careful and wish you had it most of the time!

billiebob

I'm just curious - for camper vans, how often do people need to change flat tires? And for those that have winches, how often do they get used?
40 years, I've had 4 flats.
Winching, I've never actually needed it to get unstuck. Needed it to get up an icy driveway. Needed it to drag logs onto the road. Needed it to move concrete steps and old decks.

But I find chains way more useful than a winch.
IMG_0577.jpeg

But not to marginalize carrying a spare.
Everytime I needed it it was a life saver.

Snow storm on the Queen E Parkway, Christmas Eve...... fast flat in the hammer lane.... why drive slow in a snow storm....
Flat tire, pull into a median turn around, change the tire, merge back into the fast lane 5 minutes later.
Why would you want to call AMA ????

Midnight coming home on a snow covered highway, hit something under the snow, blowout.... 5 minutes later on my way home.
No cell service, zero traffic I'd be sleeping in the cab without a spare.

Carrying a spare is all about avoiding the alternatives.

Last edited:

Kolockum

Adventure Nut
I am constantly driving logging roads for work and average about 3-4 flats a year. At least one will be unrepairable. It is a combination of lots of debris on the logging roads and really sharp shale. I currently run 10 ply Firestone Destination M/T2. Outside of work I probably get a flat on a road trip every 3-4 years and it is always on a dirt road in the middle of nowhere.

As Deserteagle56 said it depends on where you are driving and how you drive.

We carry a tow strap, a come-a-long, traction pads, tire repair kit and a good spare. Plugged a tire in Costa Rica last trip, cracked a wheel hitting a blind tope at speed in Mexico trip before last. Helped many stranded others along the way. Sheet happens.

blueberry.taco

I've debeaded tires from logs, rocks, and ice punching the sidewall but so far managed to never get a flat off-pavement. I've picked up several nails and such on pavement in various vehicles though.
I've used my winch plenty but I did go on trails knowing that there's a high likelyhood of needing to use the winch.
106986459_10113635648572773_268964456226194888_o.jpg

106991672_10113635648273373_4664212139832241048_o.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior