How Much Worst is an 80 in an Emergency Maneuver (swerve) than a 100?

SoyBoy

Do you all go out of your way to be as unhelpful as possible? The OP asked a simple question, which really isn't hard to answer if you have experience driving solid axle and IFS vehicles. A 100-series absolutely handles better than an 80 in emergency situations, given similar mods or lack thereof. Yes I'm a mechanical engineer, and no I don't need to put my truck on a tilt table to determine this. Toyota already spend a lot of money doing just that.

That doesn't mean the 80 is bad - just a different tool. Personally I've owned two different 80's, both of which were heavily modded and both of which were involved in rollover accidents. Are you a better driver than me? Maybe. Probably. Not relevant to the question though.

I currently own a 4th-gen 4Runner (Prado), with very minor modifications and minimal additional weight. It handles MUCH better than an 80 lifted on 35's. This is an uncontroversial statement. Have also owned 3rd and 5th-gen 4Runners, and a Tundra thrown in there. None of them are sports cars, but the 5th-gen with KDSS is by far the most planted on the road.

Not much to add on the RHD aspect having no personal experience, but the statistics are telling. That being said, keeping the weight and COG of any vehicle as low as possible will always help with emergency handling.
THX for the help clarifying what my original inquiry actually asked - I tried to pose the question in a way that was as clear as possible. Some folks may have gone into the weeds. As expected it won't handle better. The onus is on the operator who needs to adjust (slow the f down) their driving. And on the builder went setting the rig up properly (SOG - balance - Supension) is vitally important. Got it - Loud & Clear...

WRT the RHD that you brought up (I have discussed in another post). You rightly reiterated that it comes back to safety and the statistics are in fact telling! I am still not 100% sure that I will be getting a RHD (I'm mainly doing it for the - diesel - manual). I will "now" likely go with a North American 80 series and live with the crushing fuel mileage. Time will tell - No rush!

RoyJ

Adventurer
Find a tilt table and follow the procedure outlined in SAE J2180 for both. Otherwise the answer can only be an anecdotal "worse."

View attachment 624511

Static COG is not an absolute measure of handling.

Let's take an extreme example: a BMW X5M, Jeep Trackhawk, AMG SUVs, etc., have high CG than a cheap subcompact. No question which handles better.

I do think an equally modded 80 vs 100 is splitting hairs. Few instances where a 3" lift 35" tire 80 would crash / roll, and a 3" lifted 35" 100 would perfectly avoid the accident.

SoyBoy

Thanks for all the replies. I originally posted this and a bunch of other inquiries about 2 months ago. I took all the advice given and ended up doing a 180 and ended up buying a 2013 Tacoma Access Cab and will be installing an Alu-Cab Canopy Camper to it next month.

crx7

Sway bars have made the biggest difference in handling on the FJ80. I upgraded both the front and rear swaybars and it is now handling very neutrally. Where I used to cringe on expansion joints and bumps on the freeway, it is uber stable.

1) Try to keep close to the stock ride height.
2) Keep weight off the roof
3) Change out the shocks
4) Front and rear Heavy duty sway bars
5) Change out all the steering links.

Last edited:

quickfarms

Adventurer
This discussion is interesting.

The problem with most drivers is that they simply follow the taillights in front of them.

When driving you need to stop playing with your devices and drive. You need to watch not just the taillights, but the road as far as you can see, you also need to watch the sides of the road and vehicles along side you and behind you.

If you know your vehicle and are honest about your driving ability most if not all of these situations can be avoided.

You do need to maintain your vehicle and not do modifications that will drastically adversely alter its handling.

Solid axles are better than IFS because there are less parts to wear out or fail.

You are talking about small vehicles on a highway that can handle 18 wheelers.

Drive it like the truck it is and not a Porsche that it is not!

richmondbob

Adventurer
This discussion is interesting.

The problem with most drivers is that they simply follow the taillights in front of them.

When driving you need to stop playing with your devices and drive. You need to watch not just the taillights, but the road as far as you can see, you also need to watch the sides of the road and vehicles along side you and behind you.

If you know your vehicle and are honest about your driving ability most if not all of these situations can be avoided.

You do need to maintain your vehicle and not do modifications that will drastically adversely alter its handling.

Solid axles are better than IFS because there are less parts to wear out or fail.

You are talking about small vehicles on a highway that can handle 18 wheelers.

Drive it like the truck it is and not a Porsche that it is not!

I've held to the belief that learning to ride a motorcycle will make you a better automobile driver. Watching past just the car in front of you, looking through the turn, checking your surroundings repeatedly to just thinking everyone else on the road is trying to kill you ? are all lessons that have improved my driving skillset.

peekay

Adventurer
I've held to the belief that learning to ride a motorcycle will make you a better automobile driver. Watching past just the car in front of you, looking through the turn, checking your surroundings repeatedly to just thinking everyone else on the road is trying to kill you ? are all lessons that have improved my driving skillset.
This is exactly what I was thinking when scrolling through these pages. I ride like everyone is out to kill me -- but I don't necessarily drive like that. If I did, it would be as safe as can be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94