How Much Power Inverter?

Suty

Adventurer
I guess what I am wondering is how much power inverter is too much? Granted I guess too much power is never enough and it all depends on the amount of crap you want to run. Realisticly what can you run with 500 watts or 1000 watts? and what are the recommendations? Thinking about mounting one and running outlets to the bed etc.. Thanks. Tu Bombero de Dallas, Suty

dieck

Adventurer
Suty said:
I guess what I am wondering is how much power inverter is too much? Granted I guess too much power is never enough and it all depends on the amount of crap you want to run. Realisticly what can you run with 500 watts or 1000 watts? and what are the recommendations? Thinking about mounting one and running outlets to the bed etc.. Thanks. Tu Bombero de Dallas, Suty

I'm running a 400W and it takes care of any and all electronics I've tried to run. I use it mostly for my laptop/wardriving setup. They have some newer generation inverters that are about the same size at 600-800W and if I were to do it again I'd use one of those for the extra capacit.

See my install in this thread
http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156

Check out this worksheet for figuring out how much power you need:

http://www.xantrex.com/support/readfaq.asp?did=252

Attachments

• 20160917_142703.jpg
    20160917_142703.jpg
    574.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 20161007_154019.jpg
    20161007_154019.jpg
    621.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 1476222838758.jpg
    1476222838758.jpg
    626.8 KB · Views: 3

Scott Brady

Founder
I have a 750 watt unit in the truck, it is required to run the heating element for the water heater and to charge camera batteries...

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Ha I am getting ready to order one for my elelctrical box. It is one of the 2 final items I need before tackling this project. I am looking at a 2500/5000 unit mainly because I have the space and ithas 4 plugs with cooling fans built in. I can keep a cordless drill/sawsall and a few other goodies always ready. And I can use the mini microwave at the same time LOL! Just kidding no micro wave.

My electrical box is going to have both yellow tops, isolator, fuse block, power inverter, winch control box, air compressor and receptacles for 110 and 12v in the outside. There is just enough room to add a PPW in the future. Everything will be protected form the elements and locked up for security in the diamond plate chest. I should have the inverter next week and will start working on it in a few weeks. As you know it is a major project extending all the wiring for the basic vehicle to the bed as well as winch lights etc.

Suty

Adventurer
I want to Thank Everyone for their input . I feel like I have a much better understanding of how all this stuff works now. :) Tu Compa, Suty

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
I think something people may want to keep in mind is the weight. Larger inverters weigh more, so if you are a weight pinching fool who is flirting with your GVWR (like me) then you may do well to go with only the biggest inverter that you anticipate a need for out on the trail. I run as much as I can off of 12VDC.

Attachments

• Before 5.jpg
    Before 5.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Before 1.jpg
    Before 1.jpg
    569.3 KB · Views: 3
  • After 1.jpg
    After 1.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 3
  • After 2.jpg
    After 2.jpg
    303 KB · Views: 3
  • After 7.jpg
    After 7.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 3

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
BajaTaco said:
I think something people may want to keep in mind is the weight. Larger inverters weigh more, so if you are a weight pinching fool who is flirting with your GVWR (like me) then you may do well to go with only the biggest inverter that you anticipate a need for out on the trail. I run as much as I can off of 12VDC.

I am also curious about "Heat" that these put out. Is it something to work about? I was thinking of running this bad boy (making the girlfriend a hot coffee in the AM, give me huge brownie points!):

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Produc...2&whse=BC&topnav=&cat=4560&hierPath=114*4560*

in my truck, but having it hidden in a box and rig some 110V outlets on the outside of the box so it looks nice and hidden. I see most of these have fins and or fans to dissipate heat. Would the heat be an issue if it was installed in a close to airtight wooden box?

Last edited:

gjackson

FRGS
I had the same thoughts about enclosing the inverter in a box. I think it would be all right in a large box, but if it is confined to a space not much bigger than it is, then airflow would be severly restricted. I have no data on this though. I built a small alloy enclosure for my inverter and mounted 2 computer fans in it. Helps keep the inverter wiring protected, and the whole unit cool, but is still small enough to mount under the seat.

Inverter.jpg

The inverter box is the one closest to the fridge. The other holds 2 12v powerpoints, one for the fridge and one for anything else. The inverter is a Coleman 800w.

cheers

Scott Brady

Founder
Kevin,

That is a good price for that amount of output. 1500 watts is a battery killer though.

1500/12= 125 amps * .10 (parasitic loss due to inverter) = 137 total amps :eek:

I am running a 750 watt (continuous) from Home Depot. It was a smoking deal at $49

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
BM, yea, I would be concerned about the heat too if you were running that inverter at it's upper limits. I think some fans like Graham has used would be in order. BTW Graham, those boxes are sweet!

Coffee in the morning? How about a good old fashioned french press or filter cone? Makes the best coffee IMO :ylsmoke: A little plastic (#2 size) filter cone and some paper filters weigh very little. Just boil a little water and pour through into your mug.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
BajaTaco said:
BM, yea, I would be concerned about the heat too if you were running that inverter at it's upper limits. I think some fans like Graham has used would be in order. BTW Graham, those boxes are sweet!

Coffee in the morning? How about a good old fashioned french press or filter cone? Makes the best coffee IMO :ylsmoke: A little plastic (#2 size) filter cone and some paper filters weigh very little. Just boil a little water and pour through into your mug.

Thanks guys! I am going to look into this a little more and it probably wont happen BEFORE my dual battery setup. I am going to run a second battery for the fridge and the inverter only!

Thanks

gjackson

FRGS

The inverter has worked well in all conditions I've subjected it to.

BajaTaco, you are so right about the coffee. I use a French press and love it. Use a kelly kettle to boil the water and you have coffee in about 5 min!

:coffee:

cheers

G35Vortec454

Adventurer
5KW continuous, 10KW surge

5KW continuous, 10KW surge "Wagan Traveler" inverter does fine even running both my 9K-BTU A/C AND 1500W water heater AT THE SAME TIME. It has a load-sensing fan that cools the electronics inside the inverter. It weighs about 25 lbs. Also, I have 4 GC batteries in a series/parallel configuration powering it, inaddition to 160W solar panels. I also have dual alternators in my 22-ft expedition vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94