How much power do I need for 4-5 day trips?

TFin04

Adventurer
I understand this question cannot be answered perfectly, I'm just looking for some guidelines.

I have an F250 that we use as a family travel mobile. Periodically, I find time to hit the woods by myself or with some buddies to camp and explore. I am considering a dual battery setup to power a few 12v items for these long-weekend trips.

I got to thinking that mounting and wiring a full on system is probably way overkill for what I need, and maybe I could get by with a portable battery box of some type that I could keep on a trickle charger at home and throw in the truck when needed.

I would like to:
- Charge my phone at night
- Run a USB powered LED strip light
- Run a USB powered fan overnight for ventilation

I don't see myself ever adding a fridge or other large draw item. Given the above, what type of battery capacity is appropriate for weekend trips? Any specific kits you could recommend?

Thanks!

krick3tt

Adventurer
I have a Jackery portable battery that can be powered up with home power or by the vehicle while driving. There are several types, and I find that mine (Explorer 240) will power me up very well and are less cost than my dual battery system.
The dual system is for the fridge and HAM as well as other lights in the vehicle.

jadmt

ignore button user
my jackery 1000 will run my ARB50 for 4 days without charging. jackery sells cosmetic blems for for 50% off. I got mine shipped for $500.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
my jackery 1000 will run my ARB50 for 4 days without charging
That's kind of a max-spec claim. I'd say your jackery will run an ARB50 for up to 4 days.

ARB advertises 0.87AH/h (20.88AH/day) * 4d = 83.52AH (when set to a certain temperature with a certain ambient temp range)
The Jackery is advertised as 1002WH / 12v = 83.5AH

So, if everything is perfect, and matches ARBs test environment exactly, you could theoretically just about get 4 days by flattening the Jackery. That said, efficiency of both the Jackery and the Fridge will drop precipitously as you get to the lower SOC.

jadmt

ignore button user
That's kind of a max-spec claim. I'd say your jackery will run an ARB50 for up to 4 days.

ARB advertises 0.87AH/h (20.88AH/day) * 4d = 83.52AH (when set to a certain temperature with a certain ambient temp range)

So, if everything is perfect, and matches ARBs test environment exactly, you could theoretically just about get 4 days by flattening the Jackery. That said, efficiency of both the Jackery and the Fridge will drop precipitously as you get to the lower SOC.
I have had it run 4 full days in outside temps of 90-100F with not really cooling down a whole lot at night ie probably to the mid 70's with my arb set at 32-34F on 2 different occasions. Both times the temps were hot and both times the arb and jackery were in the cab of my truck so inside cab temps were even higher. I am not big on specs I am more on what I am actually seeing, maybe ignorance is bliss :).

john61ct

Adventurer
Figure 40Ah per 24hrs.

Driving to recharge obviously helps, plugging into grid power or solar even more so.

4000lbsOfGoat

I would like to:
- Charge my phone at night
- Run a USB powered LED strip light
- Run a USB powered fan overnight for ventilation
If that is really all you intend to use then your needs will be very minimal.

I have much higher energy needs overall and a much more complex system than what you will need but I also have a Venture 75 from Goal Zero that I use to run my "camp lights" (basically, an LED light string). It's more convenient for me in terms of light placement than it would be to try to plug into the camper. YMMV depending on the type of "strip light" you have but the Venture 75 will run my lights continuously for more than 24 hours. Assuming you want to run your lights 6 hours a night (which would be a lot) it could easily give you 4 nights.

They also make a slightly larger version with a bit more power.

It seems to me that 2 or 3 of these units (@ $120 each) would be all you would need. If you happen to get out exploring a bit during the day you can just throw them in the truck and recharge while you drive around.

It's a more versatile solution that a single large "battery box" and would probably get you what you need.

Cheers!

john61ct

Adventurer
Thanks, 40Ah for my limited use, or for a full on system running a fridge and other items?
For your fridgeless use, assuming sitting more than driving.

For a fridge ++ off grid my minimum is 200Ah figuring a 3-day buffer for cloudy weather or parking in the shade.

Fo longevity, do not draw much below 50% SoC with lead banks, at least not often.

john61ct

Adventurer
The best battery value by far is Duracell (actually Deka/East Penn) FLA deep cycle golf cart batteries, 2x6V, around $200 per 200+AH @12V pair from BatteriesPlus or Sam's Club. NAPA relabels it here: https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NBP8144 Deka self-labeled also sold at Lowes.

Spending more on LI may be worth it for saving weight & space if you can afford it.

cared for equally well will last at least twice as long.

But your Ah capacity at 12V will be lots lots less.

TFin04

Adventurer
Thanks guys. I think I've decided on a pre-built 500W portable pack. I'm looking at Jackery and Bluetti and both seem to have plenty of features for what I need.

Is there a preferred vendor, holiday sale, or blem sale to look out for? I haven't been able to locate the Jackery blem as mentioned here, but Bluetti has a $50 coupon on their website right now which is tempting...

jadmt

ignore button user
Thanks guys. I think I've decided on a pre-built 500W portable pack. I'm looking at Jackery and Bluetti and both seem to have plenty of features for what I need.

Is there a preferred vendor, holiday sale, or blem sale to look out for? I haven't been able to locate the Jackery blem as mentioned here, but Bluetti has a $50 coupon on their website right now which is tempting...
if you can handle a cosmetic blem Jackery will sell you one for 1/2 price. at half price get a 1000W. text them at their contact number on their webpage. you have to text them and they will then have you email them directly for payment details. They will do a pay pal invoice or credit card. I got a 1000W for $500 and 500W were $250. Yesterday I ordered a solar panel from them direct. They only discount the solar panels 25% but still seem like a good deal for the convenience. Talking with them they said I should pretty much be able to keep my jackery 1000W topped off using just one 100W panel ie they said 5 or 6 hours of direct sunlight would bring the jackery up to full from 75%.

Superduty

Adventurer
I have had it run 4 full days in outside temps of 90-100F with not really cooling down a whole lot at night ie probably to the mid 70's with my arb set at 32-34F on 2 different occasions. Both times the temps were hot and both times the arb and jackery were in the cab of my truck so inside cab temps were even higher. I am not big on specs I am more on what I am actually seeing, maybe ignorance is bliss :).

That's pretty impressive. Does the Jackery show how much draw there is when the ARB fridge compressor is actually running? If so what is the draw that you show.

jadmt

ignore button user
That's pretty impressive. Does the Jackery show how much draw there is when the ARB fridge compressor is actually running? If so what is the draw that you show.
mid 50's what it shows and 2w when compressor not running.

67cj5

Man On a Mission

Those ARB "Quoted" figures you are quoting are very inaccurate, The ARB 47L/50Qt uses between 0.380 to about 0.72Ah per hour and the ARB 78L/82Qt will use between 0.42 to 0.75Ah when set to 3*c, I have run my ARB 50Qt for over 2 days without any form of charging from a Dometic PLB40, If I hook up a 120w panel it never runs out or if I plug it in to the Cigar Socket the PLB replaces what it used over night in less than an hour,

This Power Drunk concept people have about needing hundreds of Ah just to run a fridge is ridiclous, where before duel battery systems became popular we all use to run our fridges from a single 80 to 100Ah Battery which only left us with 40 to 50Ah to power the fridge with, And these new lithium packs are a real game changer because of how willing they are to accept a Charge where a lead acid will take around 5 to 8 hours to accept that last 20% of charge a portable lithium pack will do the same in under an hour.

The Jackery 1000 will indeed run an ARB just using it's stored power.

My Vehicle has an 80Ah AGM Stop/Start battery and I have gone away for 4 days just using a Dometic PLB40, although I have 2 PLB's I have only ever had to use one of them on a trip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior