How much lift from Moog 880s on E350 2WD?

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I'd like to gain a wee bit up front... ie 1" when the dust settles.

The front end of my ambo weighs about 2800 lbs with the type 3 and 7.3. Current newer coils are 12.5" long at rest/loaded.

Moog 880s are rated at 3006 lbs and 12" at rest/loaded. Is that 3006 per side?

Moog 880 are rated at 1850 lbs and 12.5" at rest/loaded.

Anyone running 880s on a similar weight rig? Front is about 2800 lbs and rear is about 6000 lbs.

Ride quality?

I know I could add MAXX 2" leveling pucks, but they'd end up costing more and only gain height (mostly). Variable rate springs should improve ride... or so some claim.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
880s are rated at 6010 lbs vs 4000 lbs for the stock... it's looking like I'll need to go for it. I'm hoping the extra capacity will equal a bit of lost height.

Last edited:

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
IMG_6292.jpg

After
IMG_6295.jpg

Tape is a bit crooked.
Quick answer... 1" on a fresh install. Now 13.5" loaded and about 2.5" to the bumpstop.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Drove over the scales the other day... either these were different or I've been putting on Weight.

3300 lbs on the front end.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Through Amazon.com in the US, $100. Jack up the van frame, pull off lower end of shock, and undo keeper bolt. About 20 min per side with a couple wrenches and a good floor jack.

Up here about $250 CDN (or less) depending on how good your relationship is with your parts supplier :D

I gained an inch... 5.4 members more like a 1.5"

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Read your sig line... see you've also got a PSD.

I gained an inch over fairly healthy coils that still had P/N stickers on them when I put them in last year.

The 35.5" is with new 225/75R16 Toyo H/T tires. Loaded coil height was 12.5" and is now 13.5".

Last edited:

Gtdad

Adventurer
Through Amazon.com in the US, $100. Jack up the van frame, pull off lower end of shock, and undo keeper bolt. About 20 min per side with a couple wrenches and a good floor jack.

Up here about $250 CDN (or less) depending on how good your relationship is with your parts supplier :D

I gained an inch... 5.4 members more like a 1.5"
I gained 2.25 inches on my 5.4 and it was not sagging before.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
From the sound of it, 880s are a bit stiff with a 5.4.

I'd consider 880 which are the regular load 7.3 (1845x2 lbs) as apposed to 880s extra load (3005x2 lbs). I believe there are also cc860 which are lighter still.

WUzombies

Adventurer
From the sound of it, 880s are a bit stiff with a 5.4.

I'd consider 880 which are the regular load 7.3 (1845x2 lbs) as apposed to 880s extra load (3005x2 lbs). I believe there are also cc860 which are lighter still.

Moog has hundreds of different coil springs to choose from, when I was trying to determine what was right for my application I tried to reach out to them and had zero luck until I hit them on twitter. On twitter they were able to answer my questions for my application and I ended up with the right set. So I would say if there are questions, tweet them towards Moog.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Good to know. I've already bit the bullet, but, still need to figure out shocks.

Last edited:

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
So... from your last comment I could possibly run into a problem with the OE replacement Bilstein shock length?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles