How much lift from brackets, MG kit Ford E350?

McGuyver

I have an MG kits on its way. I get the impression that just the brackets themselves will provide a certain amount of lift. Can I use the stock springs with it, and if so, how much lift do the brackets by themselves provide?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Raul

Adventurer
The lift will depend on the springs you use. It is hard to determine the lift from stock since those maybe pretty tired. It seems that you are trying not to lift too much. Be careful. I tried that and ended with the differential hitting the crossmember. Yes, the corssmember was cut already. I would say that you want at least 4 inch of lift.

McGuyver

I'm not necessarily trying to do the minimum amount of lift. I'm trying to establish just how much lift the brackets provide, if all other things are kept equal, which is why I ask given stock springs. I'm also curious if lifted springs are required for clearance purposes. You have confirmed that lifted springs are required. So did you use 4" lifted springs to solve your clearance problem? Which ones did you use, the Moog CC880 springs?

Last edited:

Raul

Adventurer
I’ve installed in this order: cc880s (too stiff, but I was running higher pressure on my tires), cc880 (good, but I was bottoming the diff against the frame) and the CC860S (2+ extra lift but not too firm). This is in a extended V8 5.4. You can see more details on my build..

Just set van weight to wheels on my 97 build. I used the CC880s springs as per instructions with my MG kit. Mine sits fairly high and has 50% tread on 31" tires. You can get an idea but if you want a measurement I'll grab one. Van is the standard 138" WB with the 5.4L. It has a raised top and some interior weight adding trim items, console, TV, high cabinets, so is not exactly light.

Raul had suggested to me that the CC880s may be a bit stiff as well, they were about 2" longer than my stock E150 coils as I recall. I have yet to test ride as I'm still mid build. I don't mind the height, looks great, but this van has always felt heavy on the road so hoping the stiffness may help with feel. I surely dont 'need' the height, but I would be concerned with diff to cross member clearance as stated. I trimmed out the I-beam mount only thus far but you can see the clearance attached here....I have about 2-2.5" before contact. More trim per the template coming.

Attachments

• 20201005_233534.jpg
    20201005_233534.jpg
    1,008.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 20201005_233413.jpg
    20201005_233413.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 17

McGuyver

Thanks guys. I have a 2009 with a 5.4 L V8, and regular body (12 passenger) van, so this gives me something similar to go off of.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior