how much is this worth?

19psi

The Devil Made Me
82 GWagen, but with a blown 280 gas engine.
\
body is straight, rust free. tires are 235 85 16 super swamper trxus m/t in 85% shape. 4 speed manual, factory winch, all in all a good looking and solid vehicle. I dont know much about G wagens, and don't want to pay too much for it since i'll have to drop an engine in immediately. most likely a diesel conversion.

gwagen.jpg

Gwageninside.jpg

Gwagenshifter.jpg

Gwagenrearint.jpg

delmartin

Observer
Nice find. A 617A turbo diesel is the perfect engine for the swap you have in mind and you can keep the transmission. It's a direct bolt up. If that Rotzler winch is working, it's worth quite a bit. Those winches were a pretty rare G-wagen accessory. The side facing bench seats in the rear were not too common either.

Give me a holler offline if you want more details on the swap.

-Martin

19psi

The Devil Made Me
Nice find. A 617A turbo diesel is the perfect engine for the swap you have in mind and you can keep the transmission. It's a direct bolt up. If that Rotzler winch is working, it's worth quite a bit. Those winches were a pretty rare G-wagen accessory. The side facing bench seats in the rear were not too common either.

Give me a holler offline if you want more details on the swap.

-Martin
that's what i hear about the 617A. I thought that winche was pretty rare, I dont think i've ever seen a pic of one on a G.
If i end up with it, i'll definitely be interested in as much info as i can get on teh swap.

Sweet find!! What is it going for?

Here's the deal on the truck.... Right now, it's owned by a private MB shop, because the previous owner didn't pay his bill. Unfortunately, it's a little more complicated than a simple mechanics lein, because the titel for the truck wasn't in the "owners" name, it is in his mothers name.
She is having financial problems and wants to sell it for as much as she can get, but it's not really up to her, since the shop technically owns it. However, she's friends with the shop owner so he wants to take care of her as much as he can, however, he's also friends with me so he wants to take care of me.
so right now, we are unsure on a price.
As i'm rather inexperienced in the Gwagen world, i thought i'd ask around to get some ideas as to what i should pay for it.
I have tons of mechanical experience, i'll have no problems doing any of hte work on it, plus i have the resources of the MB shop for the stuff i can't figure out.

I don't feel like i should pay anywhere close to blue book on it since it doesnt' even run and will require a couple thousand bucks probably to make it run. My mouth is watering just thinking about owning this machine, so i hope a deal can be made!

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Since I also am on the hunt, from my research I would offer $5k as a fair value given all the interaction of those involved. If it was running, and no issues w/ the 280 around $12k. Once the conversion is done, mid $20ks. That is when the decisions begin- keep it as you will be in for cheap, or sell for the profit... good luck, and nice find for sure.

delmartin

Observer
offer $5k, running and no issues w/ the 280 around $12k, conversion done mid $20ks.

$5K is a good opening offer, the $12K may be a bit optimistic in the current economy. Check the last couple months of ebay sales and you'll see that most 280GE trucks struggle to get past $10K. The winch will help. Mid $20K with the 617A is not realistic. There are not too many of us out there that will accept a bare bones 6000# truck powered by a ~100hp engine. The market demand just isn't there. And the fact that the 2002/2003 G500's are starting to fetch mid $20K prices.

The 463 chassis G500 is alot more civil, has almost 3 times the engine power and is just as capable as the early trucks.

Check out this site where Drew Platt did an excellent job of compiling relevent G-wagen sites into one page.

http://web.mac.com/drewplatt/Gelandewagen/Links.html

Do your research on the cost of parts. You'll soon realize that a couple thousand dollars won't go too far in getting this G back on the road. When you add the cost of a good 617A engine, the parts needed to do the conversion, a front axle rebuild (if needed and they usually do), brakes and lockers overhaul ... with a $5K purchase price you'll fast approach the $9K-$10K range. Still a good total price and you'll know the truck inside and out.

-Martin

19psi

The Devil Made Me
hmmmm, ok good stuff to consider.
if i do end up with it, i won't be selling it for quite a while. i plan to use it to 110% of its capabilities in the dirt. it will probably rarely see pavement. the only value a vehicle has to me is how much fun i can have with it as a toy versus how much i've spent, so making money on it is not really a concern.

Indiana Drew

Observer
82 GWagen, but with a blown 280 gas engine.
\
body is straight, rust free. tires are 235 85 16 super swamper trxus m/t in 85% shape. 4 speed manual, factory winch, all in all a good looking and solid vehicle. I dont know much about G wagens, and don't want to pay too much for it since i'll have to drop an engine in immediately. most likely a diesel conversion.

gwagen.jpg

Gwageninside.jpg

Gwagenshifter.jpg

Gwagenrearint.jpg

There is a guy in Floyd's Knob who knows about as much as anyone around Louisville (or anywhere else for that matter) regarding G-Wagens. You can find him on P-3 under MerzBen. Or feel free to email me for his contact information. He also might have some parts or an engine for you.

The truck looks like a good project if it can be had. The engine should be of interest to someone. Check with Mike Serpe at GWagen Preserve or ClubGWagen - he might be in the market. That it has jump seats would be enough for some of us to pick it up, grab them and then flip it ...

Keep us up to date! :chef:

Indiana Drew

Observer
$5K is a good opening offer, the $12K may be a bit optimistic in the current economy. Check the last couple months of ebay sales and you'll see that most 280GE trucks struggle to get past $10K. The winch will help. Mid $20K with the 617A is not realistic. There are not too many of us out there that will accept a bare bones 6000# truck powered by a ~100hp engine. The market demand just isn't there. And the fact that the 2002/2003 G500's are starting to fetch mid $20K prices.

The 463 chassis G500 is alot more civil, has almost 3 times the engine power and is just as capable as the early trucks.

Check out this site where Drew Platt did an excellent job of compiling relevent G-wagen sites into one page.

http://web.mac.com/drewplatt/Gelandewagen/Links.html

Do your research on the cost of parts. You'll soon realize that a couple thousand dollars won't go too far in getting this G back on the road. When you add the cost of a good 617A engine, the parts needed to do the conversion, a front axle rebuild (if needed and they usually do), brakes and lockers overhaul ... with a $5K purchase price you'll fast approach the $9K-$10K range. Still a good total price and you'll know the truck inside and out.

-Martin

Thanks Martin - if you all know of any links I've missed, send them on ... :coffee:

Indiana Drew

Observer
Did I mention air conditioning? Looks like a factory, but maybe not. Either way it is a feature in some parts of the world ... :ylsmoke:

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
The interior of that truck is looking kinda ratty.

Has that front driver's side fender been repainted? Or is it the door that is an off shade of red?

Why is it running Truxus MTs? Has this truck been run hard in the bush?

Is it really worth $5k given the engine is blown? Vehicles are not worth much with blown engines regardless of what make they are.

I'm no expert on Gwagens but I've bought and sold a lot of vehicles. I'd offer $2k-$3k and that is only because it is a desirable vehicle. If they talk you up a bit so be it.

And don't think you are taking advantage - a vehicle with a blown engine is effectively worthless unless it is a desirable enthusiast vehicle or the seller stumbles across a motived tradesman buyer.

$0.02

19psi

The Devil Made Me
There is a guy in Floyd's Knob who knows about as much as anyone around Louisville (or anywhere else for that matter) regarding G-Wagens. You can find him on P-3 under MerzBen. Or feel free to email me for his contact information. He also might have some parts or an engine for you.

The truck looks like a good project if it can be had. The engine should be of interest to someone. Check with Mike Serpe at GWagen Preserve or ClubGWagen - he might be in the market. That it has jump seats would be enough for some of us to pick it up, grab them and then flip it ...

Keep us up to date! :chef:
thanks for the info!

Did I mention air conditioning? Looks like a factory, but maybe not. Either way it is a feature in some parts of the world ... :ylsmoke:
I believe i did see an a/c compressor... not sure though, just assumed it had it. not a deal breaker either way.

The interior of that truck is looking kinda ratty.

Has that front driver's side fender been repainted? Or is it the door that is an off shade of red?

Why is it running Truxus MTs? Has this truck been run hard in the bush?

Is it really worth $5k given the engine is blown? Vehicles are not worth much with blown engines regardless of what make they are.

I'm no expert on Gwagens but I've bought and sold a lot of vehicles. I'd offer $2k-$3k and that is only because it is a desirable vehicle. If they talk you up a bit so be it.

And don't think you are taking advantage - a vehicle with a blown engine is effectively worthless unless it is a desirable enthusiast vehicle or the seller stumbles across a motived tradesman buyer.

$0.02
i did notice the door seems to be different than the rest of the truck.
i have no idea why he put the m/t's on there, it's never been in the dirt from what i can see. no mud caked underneath, no brush scratches in the paint, etc.
i agree completely with you regarding the blown engine and price. Like you, i've bought and sold far too many vehicles to even remember, and i have ahard time paying more than a couple thousand for something i have to tow home and immediatley put an engine in, just to be able to drive it around the block to find out what else is wrong with it!
A vehicle is only worth what someone will pay, and in this economy, old, heavy, underpowered, odd, low mpg, etc. trucks aren't commanding a premium, at least here in KY.

Merz-Ben

I know this truck

Hi there,

Drew let me know that you were looking at this truck. I have some knowlage of the truck, I think the owner invited me to go wheelin' with him once or twice and I have seen the truck in person a few times. It belonged to SeanIT72 over at P-3. I am very suprised that he did not have the Coin to fix it or at least pay the bill owed, but I guess the economy is bad right now, maybe he fell on hard times. Unless repairs have been proformed in the past year, it has some rust in the rocker panels, where the seam meets up close to the rear wheel on both sides, the drivers side is going to require a bit of work to straiten it out, although most of it is hidden by the rubber body molding. The winch did work, unless something seized up from sitting. The A/C is an aftermarket Behr Unit, I don't know if it worked. I am not sure on this, but I think this truck might have an issue with popping out of low range in the T-case... I know three of the five W460's I know around the Louisville area had T-case issues, one is at my shop, one has disappeared and did not have a t-case in it at all the last time I saw it, and the last one I think is this one, which ever one it was would pop out of low range in reverse. That is fixable with a few hundred worth of parts, but if you don't want to tear into the t-case a used one runs anywhere from $1k-$2K. The owner was looking for a radiator about a year and a half ago, so that may have lead to the dead engine, might still need a radiator unless it was replaced. It has new shifter bushings in it and a new clutch slave cylinder in the past couple of years. I don't think Sean ever did any front end work on it, so I imagine that it is close to needing atleast a wheel bearing job.

As far as what it is worth, I would say $2K-3K is about the tops, maybe more if you REALLY want it. If it was running and you could tell the exact condition of the drivetrain it would be different, but there are a lot of expensive parts that a G can need.

Cheers,
Ben

Last edited:

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
If that is all true and it is indeed the same vehicle I'd be inclined to low ball. I see big dollar outlay getting that truck reliable again.

For the cash required you might be better off to pass and move up in price range to get something that runs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles