How much extra fuel do you take?

alanymarce

If you can add extra tankage it is worth it. We carry 24 hrs of fuel, 450 liters, 2000 km range. The added bonus of such large range is we can select the cheapest fuel. Not an option for smaller vehicles.

So, you take an extra 400 lb of fuel, which will increase your fuel consumption significantly, to save a few cents on a tank fill?

Alloy

yes, there is a route. I don't think it is all FSR, I think a short bit of it is just resource road. My last trip thru there was 20 plus years ago in a YJ, I never carried extra fuel. I don't think the distances between gas stops are ever 100 miles. Gold Bridge, Lillooet, I think Gang Ranch sold gas too.... altho COVID might have closed Gang Ranch. I was planning on doing it after the Overland Rally in Whistler last summer.... but that got cancelled. The Caribou is Gods country, I love the high elevations. The canyon and bridge over the Chilcotin River is spectacular at sunset. Definitely spend some time around there.

Or since this is 4 months later, how was the trip....

Apologies for my attitude, old truck driver, when I see 16 hours of driving I think 16 hours of hammer down, 1000 miles.

Haven't done it. Working on a home reno and the 2020 Outback was getting too many pin stripes. Disappointing as the weight/ suspension in the Outback let it travel 50% faster at 1/4 of the fuel cost vs. the F350.

We were 3 hours into the back roads South of Princeton towards Flat Top Mountain last weekend with the F350. Times are changing. Ended up stopping a few times as roads that had been passable with a full size truck are only passable with an ATV now.

Lots of logging in the area. Surprising the number of blocks that were Douglas Fir are replanted with Lodgepole Pine.

kdeleon

Observer
5gal can. Empty on daytime driving but if u have to get off the main highway especially at night, i fill it up.

Ive used the can a few times since having one makes me a bit overconfident skipping a gas station which then turns too, oops next gas station is still 50 miles lol. Otherwise its there for peace of mnd, not for the needed extended range say a trip to canyonlands maze.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

rnArmy

Adventurer
Both my Jeeps have a 5-gallon Jerry can. If taking the truck, I can put a 5-gallon jug inside a milk crate. My trailer has two 2.5-gallon Jerry cans, and two 1.5 gallon Kolpin cells mounted to the front of the trailer tub (one of which usually just has one gallon of pre-mix gas for the chainsaw, but in a pinch I could put it in the gas tank).

When driving around town, they're empty. If going on a long trip or an overlanding adventure, they're full (or I'll fill them at the last gas stop before going off pavement). It give me peace-of-mind knowing I've got some fuel in reserve for just-in-case.

Have I ever had to really use it? No. But I have had to help out a stranded person or two.

wiring.2 (2).jpgOverland Adventure.2.jpg20200905_163035.jpg

Last edited:

geojag

I typically get around 300 miles +/- from a tank of fuel. If I am going to be our for a while, I have carried 5 gal in a VP Racing can. I have never used it for my vehicle, but have helped some other folks out. I try to fill up when I get a chance, around my AO there are plenty of fueling opportunities. Several times I have come across ATVs that have run out of fuel, usually kids that don't have a clue.

Both my Jeeps have a 5-gallon Jerry can. If taking the truck, I can put a 5-gallon jug inside a milk crate. My trailer has two 2.5-gallon Jerry cans, and two 1.5 gallon Kolpin cells mounted to the front of the trailer tub (one of which usually just has one gallon of pre-mix gas for the chainsaw, but in a pinch I could put it in the gas tank)

I see you've got a spare jug in the back of the truck, with the truck cap on. I've been thinking about this also for my truck cap camper setup. Do you get any smell at all and/or how do you handle that?

rnArmy

Adventurer
I see you've got a spare jug in the back of the truck, with the truck cap on. I've been thinking about this also for my truck cap camper setup. Do you get any smell at all and/or how do you handle that?
No smell, no issues. And I did a lot of bouncing on that trip.

JackW

Explorer
I added a 10 gallon auxiliary fuel tank to my Defender 90 diesel so I now have a range of around 400 miles plus a 5 gallon Jerry can on the roof to get another 80-100 miles. Sometimes diesel pumps are farther apart in the back country so I like to be prepared.

WRONG_WAY_DAVE

Something for your consideration: certain lengthwise tanks when low on fuel,at extreme angles, may experience fuel starvation.
Adding 5-10 gallons of additional fuel will help prevent that from happening.

Also--I have been told/read/heard--that some internal tank fuel pumps require fuel around them for cooling, or at least don't do as well when there isn't.

I have never run out of fuel in any of my trucks, but some gas stations along my route have.

As always, it is your choice. YMMV.

Last edited:

alia176

Explorer
I have the ability to carry a total cap of 40gal of fuel using a 25gal main tank plus a 15gul OEM aux tank. I just transfer fuel from the aux tank to the main tank using a push button in the cab. However, I'm limited to the vehicle with the least amount of fuel carry capability in my group since we'll be forced to stop and refuel anyway. But, for my solo adventures, I fill up both tanks at Costco before heading out.

WOODY2

Adventurer
I have the ability to carry a total cap of 40gal of fuel using a 25gal main tank plus a 15gul OEM aux tank. I just transfer fuel from the aux tank to the main tank using a push button in the cab. However, I'm limited to the vehicle with the least amount of fuel carry capability in my group since we'll be forced to stop and refuel anyway. But, for my solo adventures, I fill up both tanks at Costco before heading out.
You nailed it, no matter how far you can go your accomplice is the limiting factor and you end up being their "reserve" if they get lazy and start depending on your supply.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles