How much extra fuel do you take?

dado5

How much fuel do you feel you need to not get stranded? I am talking in the US western states/desert. Since every vehicle has different mpg/consumption I suppose the best way to quantitate it would be in distance. So do you usually carry enough to get you 50 miles? 100 miles? 150? Just wondering....

It really depends on the length of your trip or individual legs of your trip. In my neck of the woods I can almost always have access to services within 50 miles. For my thirsty Chevy V-8 I figure 5 or 6 mpg (half its usual asphalt consumption) and then divide that into the anticipated distance. Using every drop means I can get about 170 miles out of my 34-gallon tank, but I’d never run it to that extreme. But my rule of thumb is to always have at least an additional 5-gallons with me, no matter how short the run.

MCX

TalesFromTheDesert.com
My Xterra has a small tank & crappy MPG, so depending on where I'm going, etc., I'll take anywhere between 5 - 15 gallons extra with me.

krick3tt

Adventurer
My LR gets anywhere from 12 to 20 depending on road speed (dirt vs asphalt) but I carry two Nato cans at all times. The cans fit under the LR where the spare used to go as it now rides on the swing away at the bumper. The LR takes 91 Premium and not all stations carry that I have found.

alanymarce

We always make sure we have enough to return to the last place we found fuel, plus 100 Km. In other words we have a "point of no return" based on this calculation. Once we arrive at a point in the journey where the next place we know we can get fuel is closer than the distance we've come minus 100 Km we can continue. If not we return. Obviously we have to track consumption closely, and also have some idea of the consumption we should expect if we continue - clearly if think we have enough fuel to continue at the "point of no return" but find ourselves in deep sand which increases fuel consumption 50% then we're going to be out of luck...

billiebob

I always planned trips to not need to carry any Jerry Cans. But I changed tires last year from 33x12.50R15s to 31" tall, super skinny 7.50R16s. That one change extended my highway range 95 miles. I'll never buy the popular LT tires again.

Alloy

In both the F350 and Subaru Outback I carry enough for 12-16 hours of driving but I'd like to have enough for 24 hours.

Keep 100 miles of reserve.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
5 Gallons gits most any vehicle least 50 miles at normal highway speeds or at least 5-10 miles on the trail. Plan accordingly for the number of 5 gallon jugs you require based upon when and where you plan to run out of fuel and problem solved!

My ATF Express van has almost 70 gallons of fuel capacity.

Buckstopper

Adventurer
I carry 2 20l jerry cans. The Fuso gets 12ish MPG. I've used one of the jerry cans but have never had to break out the second one. Yet.

billiebob

I carry enough for 12-16 hours of driving
16 hours is like 1000 miles. I don't think even a Jetta TDI can go that far. My TJR, I'd need 70 gallons. WOW 16 Jerry Cans.
I'd have to leave the wife and sleeping bag at home.
Even my wifes Subaru is breathing fumes at 500 miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94