How much does your vehicle weigh?

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
I looked through the forum but could not find a thread on how much people's overland vehicles weigh equipped vs the gross vehicle weight. I thought it would be interesting for people doing research to see just how heavy/light an overland vehicle can be depending upon the application and duration of trip.

The matter became important to me as I was planning for new rear springs to replace my original modified leaf packs. I borrowed a set of scales used for weighing race cars from a friend. Here's how it shook out for my 1992 Jeep Comanche, fully loaded for a 3 week trip supporting 2 adults. (if you want to know more about how the vehicle is equipped, there is a thread at http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15684 )

Left front = 1207 lbs Right front = 1231 lbs
Left rear = 1584 lbs Right rear = 1553 lbs

Total = 5575 lbs
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating = 4850 lbs
Over/Under = + 725 lbs
Cross = 2815 lbs (50.5%)
Left = 2719 lbs (50%)
Rear = 3137 lbs (56.2%)

I was pleasantly surprised to find the vehicle relatively well balanced. I made an emphasis to keep my high density additions far forward and low in the bed.

To compensate for the over weight situation, the frame has been reinforced with 1/4" plate, springs are being upgraded. Brakes are still stock and present an issue that will be resolved with rear disc and Vanco master cylinder upgrades in the future.

Let's hear from others that have been through the exercise.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Interesting thread topic and a great idea. Wish I could get my truck weight but it's immobile at the moment. The published curb weight is 4600lbs, but guys talk about Discos weighing 6000lbs all the time, so I dunno.

I'm surprised at how heavy your truck is, and how far over the GVWR you are. What is the empty curb weight? Have you done anything to the axles? I'd be concerned about the wheel bearings in addition to the brakes, but I guess you've owned the truck for a long time so you'd know if they were having problems.

Would be interesting for those of us with trailers to also have a look at our GCWR. I'm glad I made the decision to go with a trailer, because I knew there's no way I'd get everything I need for 4 in the truck without being WAY overweight.

jcbrandon

Explorer
Mario-

I haven't weighed individual wheels but I have weighed the entire truck several times in various states of load.

2007 Dodge Power Wagon crew cab loaded for a five-day, 400-mile overland trip: 7880 pounds (3,581 kg). GVW is 8510 pounds (3,868 kg.)

Full tank of gas (34 gallons, 129 liters), four jerry cans of extra fuel (21 gallons, 80 liters), four jerry cans of water (21 gallons, 80 liters), driver (200 pounds, 91 kg), camping, recovery, and emergency gear, groceries in the fridge, and personal kit. That gives me a 150-mile fuel reserve and it's still 630 pounds (286 kg) under GVW.

Loaded like this, I'll get 14 miles to the gallon on the highway on the way to the trailhead 700 miles (1,126 kilometers) away, with a 10 percent fuel reserve.

howell_jd

Adventurer
My truck is probably on the high side of weights:
2005 Ford F-550 GVWR = 17,500lbs
Typical fully loaded (weight ticket from January 2010) = 16,160lbs (includes 100gal water, 90gal diesel, food and clothing, and four passengers: 3 adults, 1 child) - AND there is still room for other things if wanted (not needed)
I have also pulled a trailer loaded with 7,950lbs so my fully CWR = 24,110lbs which is well under the 33,000 GCWR and still under the limitations for a CDL (the states that have automated on-road weight estimators have always cleared me from the commercial scales too).
I'd like to do a full four-wheel weigh as well...just need to make the time on a trip.
Jonathan

Ron B

Explorer
I think there have been a few threads like this in the past...always fun to see what other vehicles weigh.

I have a 1997 hummer open top. It's curb is 6,610, the gvw is 10,300.

Adding under carriage protection, rock sliders, rear bed rack/spare, light bar/lights, roll bars, bigger tires, plus misc tools/spares/equip/full tanks (42 gal) I'd guess it's pretty close to J's power wagon, approaching 7,900 lbs. Since changing the stock 37's to 39.5's/beadlocks the mpg hovers around 12, so my range is about 500 mi. For extended trips into the boonies I'll take an extra 10 to 20 gal for peace of mind.

rb

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
image.jpg

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Great thread...
I have tried to get this kind of subject going before when I had the FJ Cruiser but it never got any traction...especially on the fjcruiserforums.com where I tried to get folks to wgt their rigs on the way to the FJ Summit one year.

I often weighed the FJ Cruiser in various setups and always found that I was over GVW...there just wasn't much fudge room.

With the Sportmobile I am also over GVW but that has more to do with the extra mobility equipment and extra gear for taking out others. I am looking at upgrading the springs and maybe some other areas to compensate.

I would like to add one thing to the info folks give.....how many people is the rig setup for (including animals).
That is the only fair way to make comparisons. If a guy is setting up a rig for his solo adventures and gives numbers to a guy who is setting up for his family of 4, well things will be way way different.

So in my case there are 3 primary modes:
Sportsmobile with myself and 1 disabled person for an outing : 11,000 lbs (GVW 9500)
Sportsmobile with myself, disabled person and event/display gear: 12,000
Sportsmobile with family (total 4 people) : 11,500

All share the same issue...almost 2K over GVW.

But I have to say that the rig handles everything I can throw at it from rockcrawling to high speed washboards in Baja with equal ease.

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
I own a '97 Cherokee. I weighed it at a local gravel yard and with a full tank of gas and my big tool box in the back it weighed in at 4060 lbs. Now it is never that unloaded anymore, it is usually carrying at least 4 people, the back is full of gear, and it is pulling the M416. I know that this combo gives the breaks a workout.

jcbrandon

Explorer
Great thread...

I would like to add one thing to the info folks give.....how many people is the rig setup for (including animals).
That is the only fair way to make comparisons. If a guy is setting up a rig for his solo adventures and gives numbers to a guy who is setting up for his family of 4, well things will be way way different....

Interesting. What would ya'll figure as a ballpark figure for each additional person? As a start, I'll suggest 300 pounds. That's a 200-pound person with a 60-pound personal kit, consuming 40 pounds of water, groceries, and ice. It's a lot of weight, but I think it makes for a very useful working number.

My dog adds about 65 pounds, including her paraphernalia and kibble.

If you were working hard to stay under a total GVW, you could easily shave weight by limiting your guests to a light personal kit, rationing water, eliminating ice in your cocktails, and only traveling with leggy super models.

01tundra

Explorer
6,820 lbs load down with tools and spare parts......ouch!

Original GVRW was 6,030#, but that doesn't really concern me any since I'm now running 1-ton axles on both ends, heavy duty spring packs on all four corners, and have added six additional cross members to the frame over the years, not to mention the interior and exterior cages that tie everything together.

I've cut all the weight out that I'm willing to sacrifice......it is what it is now :).

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke